[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the world perhaps 1 dimensional? We can just make a bijection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: raccoon3.jpg (679 KB, 1188x990) Image search: [Google]
raccoon3.jpg
679 KB, 1188x990
Is the world perhaps 1 dimensional?

We can just make a bijection between [math]\mathbb{R}^4[/math] and [math]\mathbb{R}[/math] so everything in our 4D universe can simply be described in 1D as well.
>>
Nah.
>>
>>7981120
Bijection: one to one and onto

Find me where that supposed bijection would map the 4 dimensional row vector (1,5,3,10) in 1 dimensional space.
>>
>>7981130
I don't remember the bijection, but one certainly exists. Look it up.

OP, dimension and cardinality aren't related.
>>
>>7981120
[math] {\mathbb{R}^4} \ne \mathbb{R}_1^3[/math]
>>
Leaving the assertion aside that the global spaces R^4 suffices to describe the world as is, you forget that we're also interested in structure upon this set and a bijection alone doesn't transfer said structure. You'd want to find an iso.
>>
>>7981120
Yes, 4D can be described in 1D, that's why you can use computers to simulate arbitrary vector calculations.

Yes, universe could just be a simulation and we would be none wiser because process of perception is part of the simulation and just as it is impossible for the program to determine if it halted, so it is impossible for us to notice the artifacts in the simulation.

TL;DR; Universe may be a simulation and there's nothing you can do to prove it.

For night-time fun. Imagine running the simulation of a universe on a computer.

That 1 million years in 1 second shit isn't just for retarded Christians. Time is relative and everything you are and know and billions of years after you may just be a fraction of a second worth of a virtual particle appearing and collapsing in another universe.
>>
>>7981482
Sometimes I imagine that we're in a simulation and outside the simulation there is a funding battle going on where they're trying to decide if the project has run its course and should be terminated.
>>
File: 1391139090346.jpg (375 KB, 1032x975) Image search: [Google]
1391139090346.jpg
375 KB, 1032x975
>>7981120
>>
>>7981130
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/243590/bijection-from-mathbb-r-to-mathbb-rn
>>
>>7981130
For Christ's sake, there exists CONTINUOUS mappings from R to R^n. Ever hear of a space filling curve??
>>
>>7981120
There does not exist a homeomorphism [math] {\mathbb{R}^m} \to {\mathbb{R}^n}[/math] for any n=/=m.

To describe the world in terms of just R, therefore would have to exist a diffeomorphism. Any since we can't even construct a homeomorphism, we obviously can not construct a diffeomorphism.
>>
>>7981533
How does 4D light work?
>>
>>7981482
computers are not 1-dimensional. computers live in the same space we do and work based on transistors. stop saying idiotic shit
>>
>>7981120
http://www.livescience.com/33228-early-universe-1-d-line-vanishing-dimensions-theory.html
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.