[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't a human pick up a 7ft 20kg barbell using 1 arm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1459839109366.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1459839109366.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Why can't a human pick up a 7ft 20kg barbell using 1 arm with the hand placed right at the end of the barbell like in pic related?
>>
Torque
>>
>>7981101
I've done that. DYEL?
>>
>>7981114
Lying on the internet? How dare you.
>>
>>7981101
>20kg
Fucking meat heads. I can't even lift that much with both arms.
>>
>>7981119
>tfw when smart and lift
>>
>>7981110
Taking torque into account, how much would the 20kg barbell effectively weigh if you're trying to pick it up like in pick related?
>>
>>7981119
What the actual fuck, are you a 8 year old girl with diagnosed cancer?
>>
>>7981117
Just jerk it horizontally to get momentum and then rotate it upright while moving your hand under it, I've done it a few times to move it between racks while carrying something else in my other hand.
>>
>>7981124
>people will actually try this and snap their wrists
>>
>>7981128
Your wrists can handle deadlifting 4plts and you're scared it will snap picking up lmao0plate with a slight mechanical disadvantage?
>>
>>7981122
Equivalent torque about a common point. If you want the equivalent torque on your wrist holding a dumbell in your hand, it will be a very high number.
>>
>>7981137
>slight mechanical disadvantage
>>
>>7981101
A human certainly can.
You have subhuman strength.
>>
>>7981122
It'll be the distance to the center of mass times the mass.
[math] /frac{ ( \frac{7}{2} + L ) 20 kg }{ L } [/math]
Will give you the equivalent weight of a dumbell in your hand where L is the length of your arm.
>>
>>7981471
Wrong slash.
[math] \frac{ (\frac{7}{2} + L) 20 kg }{ L } [/math]
>>
>>7981101
short answer: torque

Long answer: theres so much weight on the tendons in your thumb and elbow that your body doesn't allow you to build up enough pressure to break something. I'm sure people can go past that if they need to but that's up to them hurting themselves lol ouch
>>
>>7981101
>grab bar like OP's pic related
>start spinning your body, twirling the bar around like a god damn sword
>as your spin speed increases, raise the bar until it is parallel with the ground

OP BTFO
>>
The moment of inertia is higher when you grip the bar on the end, than say, in the middle.
>>
The answers other people have given are correct, but there's a bit more to it outside of the physics. The myosin thick filaments inside skeletal muscle have an optimal range of motion, which, in the bicep, is when the arm is bent at a 90 degree angle. The muscle is much more difficult to contract when it is fully extended like in OPs pic.
>>
>>7982425
Nice
>>
>>7981101

someone do the correct math please, im interested
>>
>>7981101
>push downward across bar using my body weight
>lift it up
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW
>>
>>7981137
>slight mechanical disadvantage
>>
>>7981119
Dude with like 2 weeks of training anyone can barbell at least 40 kgs

I bet you've never even tried it
>>
>>7982425
>put wheel on the other end
>spin wheel real fast
>pick up bar with ease
>>
>>7981119
>have never hauled his CRT monitor to a LAN party
I did that when I was 12 and you're a grown man(let) and can't do it?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.