[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you walk toward a flat mirror at a speed of 3.2 meters per
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1459484723350.webm (154 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1459484723350.webm
154 KB, 180x180
If you walk toward a flat mirror at a speed of 3.2 meters per second, at what speed do you see your image moving toward you?

a. 3.2 meters per second
b. 0.6 meters per second
c. 6.4 meters per second
d. none of the above

According to the answer key, it's C, but I have no idea why. And fucking around in front of a real mirror isn't helping me understand either.
>>
>>7980723
If you walk at 3.2 m/s, your image walks at -3.2 m/s, so relative to you, your image is moving towards you at (3.2 - (-3.2))m/s, or 6.4 m/s.
>>
File: Grizzly-bear.gif (154 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
Grizzly-bear.gif
154 KB, 580x386
GODDAMN RACOON POSTERS GET OFF MUH BOARD
>>
>>7980744
Ah. I was thinking in absolute terms measuring from the surface of the mirror. Ie the image is walking 3.2 towards the mirror.

Goddamn a lot of physics is about getting into the right frame of reference.
>>
What if someone walks towards the mirror at 0.5c, and the mirror is moving away at 0.75c, what does an observer at rest right behind the moving person see in the mirror?
>>
>>7980780
They don't see the mirror, the person is blocking it.
>>
poor raccoon :(
>>
>>7980787
Go project somewhere else, manlet.
>>
>>7980795
I see that no one on /sci/ can take a joke...
>>
You cant move faster than the speed of light moron.
>>
Your image, though, which isn't an actual physical object, could move faster the the speed of light
>>
>>7980843
Image can. Phase velocity n what not.
>>
>>7980723
>According to the answer key, it's C

Yup. The correct answer is d. because the actual speed of the image (or the photons that make it up) is the speed of light C. It doesnt even matter what speed you move at. This is of course assuming that you are in a vacuum, which I will assume since the medium is not stated in the question.
>>
>>7980800
Thanks for using a tripcode, now I can just filter your stupid comments
>>
>>7980863
Uhh get the fuck off my board you fucking first year engineer.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.