[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If genes from genetically modified crops drift into the gene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: GMO.png (119 KB, 735x350) Image search: [Google]
GMO.png
119 KB, 735x350
If genes from genetically modified crops drift into the gene pool of their wild counterparts, how much of a problem is this actually?
>>
It's like spreading a patented virus and selling the patented antidote you need to survive.
>>
>>7980565
>wild
such as?

Your pic has corn, but there are no wold corn.
>>
>no wold corn
but non-GMO corn
www.seedsavers.org
>>
>>7980805
I've heard it already happened with rapeseed before.
>>
>>7980565
Lawsuit. This is why you should boycott GMOs
>>
>>7981064
>rapeseed
well with a name like that it was inevitable
>>
http://ucbiotech.org/answer.php?question=52
read this
>>
>>7980565
Depends on what the gene was doing

But generally no, I wouldn't imagine it would be a catastrophic problem
>>
>>7981064
>>7981143
It's more commonly known as Canola
>>
File: ziz.jpg (22 KB, 400x428) Image search: [Google]
ziz.jpg
22 KB, 400x428
>>7981248
>The name [canola] was coined partially to euphemize the name of rapeseed oil, to avoid the negative connotations of rape as a violent sex crime [...].
CANNOT FABRICATE
>>
>>7980565
Monsanto sues the stealing wild plants
>>
>>7980565
Depends if you like mono cultures and bio diversity. A gene that protects against a type of bug will, reduce the available habitat for that specie.

I have a theory about Zika virus. That an experiment in Sth. America to reduce a certain type of mosquito in an area by introducing sterile males worked. This allowed the previously scarce Zika carrying mozzie the habitat to expand into.

Unintended consequences.
>>
>>7980565
it would trigger all of the anti-GMO faggots out of existence
>>
>>7981414
On here, most people actually take theory to mean theory, rather than a wild idiotic guess. So maybe, to clarify things, if you're talking about wild idiotic guesses, say wild idiotic guess instead of theory.
>>
>>7980565
Sterility? Infertility? If only we could make GM humans, attack the root cause, not symtoms.
>>
>>7981603

>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>7981575
> anti-mutated garbage
lol mutant brainlet
>>
>>7981603
was going to flame, but >>7983412 nailed it
>>
>>7981414
Cool, another nutty conspiracy about the Zika virus from someone who has a flawed understanding of how GMOs work.
>>
>>7980565
I keep going back to posting about the simple and base U. of Chicago selective genetics study.

They took field grass, and bred it by selective choice nothing more, no test tubes but intervention by hand and they grew the grass seed pouch whatever it is called, into corn.

So that was interesting and goes to show us how very much power even just selective breeding can put in the hands of mankind.
and then they also took commercial corn and by selective breeding did the reverse, bred the ears of corn down to grass.

So how greatly greatly we should worry about a stray 'new' gene getting loose, there must be half a chance and more that we could just choose it away. There is a lot we do not know.

I am not of this field.
>>
>>7981603
>>7984221
>samefagging this hard

Is this place /b/ now or what?
>>
>>7980565
If those """"green"""" faggots had let the industry use terminator seed technology then this wouldn't be a problem, but no we got the lie about how farmers would be locked into a horrible contract with biotech firms instead of just reusing the previous years seeds (as if farmers actually do this and as if breeders rights aren't a thing). In reality it was just a way to attack the industry, they knew that if they could get the industry to ditch the technology then it would be much easier to attack on general practice. The worst part of this is that I'd consider myself broadly green (in the sense that I think people should reduce the amount of crap they use and try to lead a more sustainable life) but the way that the vast majority of the movement (so greenpeace, friends of the earth and the other various assortment of off shoots and astroturfed movements) goes about their business and the rank anti-scientific practices and beliefs they hold, makes it ultimately a movement that is wholly unsupportable and ultimately detrimental to their stated goals.
>>
>>7980805
>there are no wold corn.
"no"
>>
>>7985125
this

>instead of just reusing the previous years seeds
farmer here. weve tried that before, the resulting crops were half the size with a quarter of the yield of legitimate seeds. Ive never met a single other farmer who was against terminator seeds, the people against it are city people with no idea about farming that just want to be against GMOs for no reason.

As for the cross contamination bullshit, we plant mostly GMO maize, because it has a yield 5x larger than non-GMO maize, but also plant a non-GMO maize for personal use, since that particular variety work better in some dishes than the GMO maize. We plant it right next to each other, about 5 meters of space between the first row non-GMO and the last row of the GMO maize, and yes, we do get some cross contamination, In the first 1 or 2 rows. that it. And then not even all the seeds are cross breeds. btw you can instantly spot a crossbreed cob, because the 2 varieties are different colors, have a different number of rows, taste different, and one is much harder. So i dont know how thew fuck the farmers you hear about manage to get their whole field cross contaminated with Monsanto genes and thus termination genes are bad.
>>
>>7985445
lol I saw the exact same post with someone claiming to be pro-GMOtard farmer who keeps shitposting about how nice GMOs are. These almost look like template shitposts.

Are you even trying ? mutated garbage threads belong to >>>/trash/
>>
File: 1275100870167.jpg (12 KB, 300x244) Image search: [Google]
1275100870167.jpg
12 KB, 300x244
....Are we seriously going to just skip over the whole rapeseed thing?
>>
>>7985459
Is this seriously the first time you heard of rapeseed?
>>
>>7985452
>saw the exact same post
link it then, because i just typed that all out
>>
>>7985477
/sci/ is 90% underage you know
>>
>>7981414
>literally just finished reading an article about this meme
>come on /sci/
>someone is professing it
This idea was actually literally first posted on r/conspiracytheories, please go back there.
>>
File: Monsanto_Shill.png (47 KB, 832x1199) Image search: [Google]
Monsanto_Shill.png
47 KB, 832x1199
Be wary.
>>
>>7981385
lol yeah people are tards,

>rape (n.2)
>kind of cruciferous plant (Brassica napus), late 14c., from Old French rape (“grape stalk, rasper”), from Latin rapa, rapum "turnip," from PIE *rap- (cognates: Greek hrapys "rape," Old Church Slavonic repa, Lithuanian rope, Middle Dutch roeve, Old High German ruoba, German Rübe "rape, turnip"). Usually grown to feed sheep, an oil made from it is used in cooking (see canola).
>>
Only people against GMOs are DUDE WEED millennials who have no idea what GMOs are but because a corporation owns the rights to certain genes think it must be bad.

There's literally no scientific evidence suggesting that GMOs are harmful in any way yet nut-jobs, conspiracy theorist, and people who think hemp can cure cancer are against it cause they're anti-establishment autist.
>>
>>7985655
>millenials
Please, the hardcore anti-GMO are aging 70s-80s environmentalists and their brainwashed children.

Admittedly those children are millenials, but still.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.