[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we defeat sleep? We could get so much done without sleep,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: ooooooo_weeee_lads.jpg (97 KB, 1024x750) Image search: [Google]
ooooooo_weeee_lads.jpg
97 KB, 1024x750
How do we defeat sleep? We could get so much done without sleep, and you would never have to deal with that feeling of waking up or being tired. Current drugs only get you so far, and even then you risk psychosis.

All I want to do is watch my lectures, do hw, shitpost on the interwebz, ride my motorcycle for days, binge on netflix, make more money getting a second, well paid fulltime factory job. I want to be able to drive for 2 days straight only having to take a break to piss/shit, eat, drink, and take in sights.

Could you imagine a world where we don't need sleep in order to function normally? Why haven't we tried figuring this out? Do you actually like sleep, does it give us an excuse to be lazy?
>>
>>7980539
I'd rather not have an 80-hour work week for half the hourly rate, if it's all the, same to you.

Why would you actually get the extra time free? Society will adjust, just like how women working didn't make the average family twice as rich despite having twice the income.
>>
>>7980547
>~ half the hourly rate, if it's all the, same to you.
Are you Gman?
Also, let's assume nobody has to have an double their work hours a week to work full time. But you do make a good point about society adjusting to fill the 8-12 extra hours without sleep.
>>
>>7980539
>wanting to give the jews an excuse to slave you for twice the hours
Fuck off.
>>
>>7980539
sigh...OP, can you at least do some basic research before you come here to shitpost? If you did, you'd know that experiments have shown sleep to be important in maintaining everything from blood pressure to immune health, not mention its essential for long term memory formation.

You can try polyphasic sleep, though I'm pretty sure it only works for a select percentage of the population (and you'd need to be self-employed to follow the rigorous schedule anyhow)
>>
>>7980539
I'm writing a paper about exactly this OP. Wish me luck.

It's a redonkulus undertaking though jebus christ. We know little about sleep.
>>
>>7980578
You're not understanding his point.

Defeat as in, you get ALL of those benefits (maintaing blood pressure/immune health etc, glycogen restoration, nervous system plasticity, all that good shit) without actually having to sleep.

What OP and I want is to not sleep without dying or having any ill effects.
>>
>>7980578
Use your brain buddy. Let's assume all this stuff sleep helps, doesn't require sleep anymore if we figure it all out.
I'm familiar of that technique of powernapping for 20 minute intervals throughout the day, but if you mess up your schedule it's pretty bad and you'd have to start from step 1 again.
Obviously sleep is very important, but we have yet to figure out the exact reason as to why we need it or what sleep does for us. We only know what goes on when a person goes to sleep, which includes all the "maintenance" that goes on when you fall asleep.
>>
>>7980589
>What OP and I want is to not sleep without dying or having any ill effects.
Well, tough look. EVERYTHING sleeps in one form or another. You'd think the nature would have come up with something in 4 billion years. Or magical sky daddy in 6000 years. What ever floats your boat.
>>
>>7980539
Who is this qt?
>>
>>7980605
She has a feminine penor
>>
>>7980604
This guy still doesn't get it. Nature also doesn't manufacture disease curing drugs, homes, railroads, buildings, space vehicles... research... science... fucking math...
Come on, guy. Get your autistic self out of the thread if you're not going to contribute anything but your own closed opinion.
>>
>>7980609
All of those things you mentioned are physically possible and leverage the already know laws of physics/chemistry/biology. Like I already mentioned, everyone sleeps. It's just something intrinsic to biological machines constrained by the physical laws of our universe.

Now if you're thinking about what might happen in the future once we become cyborgs and can hot-swap our RAM chips then this is just a thinly veiled 'muh singularity' thread and I'm wasting my time.
>>
>>7980589
i dont think sleep is your enemy. what you want is basically immortality and immunity from everything. you want to beat the shit out of your body and not feel a thing. sleep is the least of your worries.

the best solution (and you already figured it out but dont like the answer) is time management. not just daily time management, but think about what is the limit of what a person can accomplish in 5 or 10 years or a lifetime.

my personal experience is that 10 years can feel endless yet you are somehow still aware of its finiteness, which is vague, cliche and not very helpful but so damn true.
>>
Do you anons have any advice as to how one would recover from long-term sleep debt as quickly as possible? I've been running on ~1-2 hours less than I should have been getting per night for the past few years.

It's affected me to the point where I'm suffering minute insomnia. Objectively, I know I should (and in fact try to) sleep earlier, but I don't ever get to sleep until I'm already past the point where I can only feasibly get like 4-6 hours of sleep before I have to wake up. Should I nap? I've heard that napping can make it harder to go to sleep at night.
>>
>>7980625
In the Netherlands we say: "het kwartje is gevallen".

Your kwartje is floating in space man.
>>
>>7980650
In the Netherlands we say: "KANKER KANKER KANKER!!!".

Stick your kwartje up your ass.
>>
>>7980539
You really should watch this TED talk (one of the very few good ones), it's reiterating what other people on this board have said plus some.
It's 20 mins; can you focus for that long?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWULB9Aoopc
>>
>>7980778
>20min
>can you focus for that long?
You do realize what you're asking here?
>>
>>7980650
Well I am going to look the cat out of tree on this one boys
>>
File: 13e1b4e1f72c239c.jpg (31 KB, 752x752) Image search: [Google]
13e1b4e1f72c239c.jpg
31 KB, 752x752
>>7980539

Dunno mang. The person I am today is gonna die as soon as I lay down for a nice long sleep and I prefer it that way. If life would be just one continous experience without any subconscious breaks it would be a constant nightmare for me. A good approach could be something like lucid dreaming or something like that so you can get yourself think about stuff when you dream or even dream the dreams that you want to dream and visualize things.
>>
>>7980556
No; I'm just typing on a swipy phone keyboard and the period/comma keys are right next to the spacebar, which makes them really easy to hit accidentally. I had to remove six from this message alone.
>>
>>7980649
Set your computer to automatically shut down at an hour before the time you actually should go to bed. Install f.lux and an equivalent for your mobile devices. Ensure that either your.phone shuts down as well or never enters your bedroom. Take melatonin. Go outside and get sunlight during the day; it helps calibrate your internal clock.
>>
>>7981082
I don't like to go outside.
>>
>>7981047
Or bi-weekly acid trips.
>>
>>7980539
There's nothing stopping you from forcing yourself to remain awake for days on end. It's physically possible. Every so often there are threads on /x/ about it. Try it out for yourself and then come here to report your results. Let us know what you think the purpose of sleep is after you've tried going without.
>>
what we know is that sleep has something to do with toxin removal and that the brain MUST unconscious during this

using half the brain like dolphins might be a solution but then you're stupid and slow for twice as long instead of just being asleep
>>
>>7980641
No, you aren't understanding my viewpoint. My time management is great, which is precisely why I want more time to do shit.

Which is why I don't want to continue sleeping.

It's not that I want to beat the shit out of my body and not feel a thing (that does sound nice though) nor do I necessarily want immortality (again, sounds nice though) I instead want to essentially 'sleep' without 'sleeping'.

I want back all the time I spend sleeping to be repurposed to do other things.

Understand that I'm not saying sleep is a waste of time, either. Sleep is as needed as breathing. But I would like to live without having to sleep.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.