[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I get help with resistivity of a copper wire I set everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image001.gif (3 KB, 602x234) Image search: [Google]
image001.gif
3 KB, 602x234
Can I get help with resistivity of a copper wire

I set everything up exactly like the diagram and used 8 volts running onto the wire and a meter long copper wire. My multimeter measuring volts was placed in the exact same way in the diagram and measured .008 volts? Would this be correct?
>>
If you're using copper wire you're gonna have a bad time because it has minuscule resistivity. The setup would only be useful for a constantan wire etc. If you really want to do it with copper you'll need to coil it in some way to get good results.
>>
>>7979739
Thats what i figured. Im trying to prove it has the least resistivity. I also tested aluminum the same way and got .708 volts. Would the numbers im getting be acceptable?
>>
>>7979716
what is your ammeter measuring?
>>
>>7979748
Not getting a current
>>
You probably shorted your shit, use a lower voltage.
>>
>>7979756
I tested this with a 9 volt battery. After toying around with it, it dropped to 8 volts where I got those numbers. I tried using the power supply but the saftey kept going off at no matter what voltage
>>
>>7979716
You are going to need a very sensitive volt meter to measure the resistance of such a short piece of copper. It would be much easier if you measure a much longer piece of wire, like 100 meters long in a coil. Just make sure it isn't bare wire or it will short on itself and the current won't be traveling down the length of the wire.

>>7979766
The power supply thinks there is a short. Because there is a short.
>>
>>7979766
If the resistance of the copper is so low that the safety is going off and no other load does that, then the copper has the lowest resistance.

Why are you doing this anyway? Don't your components have resistances you can look up online? Or are you doing this for an extra credit project or something? Or are you just writing a table of resistances for your lab? Can't imagine why I would need to test the R for man loads in the manner you suggested, would probably just use an Ohmmeter.
>>
>>7979716
>>7979745
So using a 9 volt battery and getting .008 volts through the copper wire would be correct anon >>7979779?
>>
>>7979788
There is absolutely no way to know. You haven't given us the thickness of the copper conductor. Length is only part of the equation. A thinner 1 meter copper wire is going to have more resistance than a thicker copper wire. You have not provided enough information.

Also, be careful shorting out batteries. You could overload the battery and cause it to catch fire/blow up. It's not going to be a bomb, but it could still cause a fire.

Why not use an Ohm meter instead of a volt meter?

There are many ways you can measure the resistance of the wire, but I have a feeling you only have a very basic understanding of electronics and I don't feel like spoon feeding you all the different ways.
>>
>>7979766
The safety was going off because you were shorting it.

What the hell are you trying to do? If you want to measure the resistance of the wire, there's an ohmmeter setting. You realize that there is just as much, likely more, resistance through the wires connected to the voltmeter and ammeter, correct? Nothing you measure could possibly have any significance based on your setup.
>>
>>7979788
It means that the other resistances (of all the other wires and the battery's internal resistance) are much larger than the resistance of the copper wire.

Do you know Kirchoff's Voltage Law?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.