[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/algorithm general/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: motherfuckingDijkstra.jpg (175 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
motherfuckingDijkstra.jpg
175 KB, 1200x1600
Having a solid base of algorithmic knowledge and technique is one characteristic that separates the truly skilled programmers from the novices. With modern computing technology, you can accomplish some tasks without knowing much about algorithms, but with a good background in algorithms, you can do much, much more.

To find /algorithm general/ look for Dijkstra's FUCKING FACE in the catalog
>>
so anyone know anything about combinatorial optimization?
>>
>>7978837

I'm moderately interested in this.
>>
>>7978837
what sort of time complexity are you looking for? And what's the actual problem?
>>
>>7979031

>asking for complexity before asking for the problem

l0l
>>
>>7978579
>RPN
>Shunting yard
i fucking love this guy.
>>
>>7978579
obligatory P vs. NP post
>>
>>7978579

what is the difference between dijkstra algorithm and the travelling salesman problem ?
>>
>>7980691
the same difference between a hammer and the "how to nail down two things" problem.
>>
Actually, I'm quite interested on this subject. Do you have any recommandation of books ?
I want something on graph theory preferably, and I think I have a solid base of math.
>>
>>7980682

What about it? You haven't really said anything.
>>
>>7980697

Graph theory and mathematics in general are fairly simple. I like to read new research papers and follow references/Google to familiarize myself with the relevant terms or concepts I don't already know.
>>
>>7980696

i kek'd

seriously though

what is the difference between the problem dijkstra algorithm claims to solve and the travelling salesman problem ?
>>
Someone wanna do my thesis on the knapsack problem?
>>
>>7980706

Dijkstra's algorithm solves the single-source shortest paths problem in arbitrary directed graphs with non-negative weights. Namely: it can calculate for a given source vertex v, the shortest path to any other single vertex x. It's not the only algorithm that solves this problem; however, an improvement by Tarjan using Fibonacci heaps causes it to be the (asymptotically) fastest algorithm for SSSP in arbitrary non-negative-weight graphs that we have currently.

The travelling salesman problem, on the other hand, is a problem which asks the shortest possible path that can be followed through a graph that passes through each node exactly once.
>>
>>7980712

Is it a survey of the knapsack problem? An analysis of the knapsack problem? Are you offering a solution? Lots of things will determine how much we can help you.
>>
>>7980789
I'm mostly supposed to implement some algorithms for the 0/1 knapsack problem, do some runtime tests for them and stuff. Most of what I'm struggling with is finding good sources or anything at all. Right now 90% of what I've done is based on some book from 2004. Feels kinda like I'm just translating it to my native language.
All the newer stuff is approximation algorithms.
I kinda doubt the newest dynamic programming or branch&bound stuff is from 2004
>>
File: saddijkstra.jpg (33 KB, 224x317) Image search: [Google]
saddijkstra.jpg
33 KB, 224x317
>>7978579
why does he always look so sad?
>>
>>7980827
not enough haskell at universities
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.