[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was talking to a friend who's doing PhD in particle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: travel[1].jpg (55 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
travel[1].jpg
55 KB, 600x450
So I was talking to a friend who's doing PhD in particle physics about time travel. And he basically told me that going back in time is basically an impossible concept because the logistic particle changes in time are entirely temporal and there is no recorded history of previous subatomic configurations of positions and rotations and velocity and other properties of matter in any recorded form for anyone to somehow go back and re-live again.

Is this enough evidence to debunk backwards time travel completely or is there a way to refute this ?
>>
>>7977008
I am a physicist and I have no idea what the fuck you just said.
>>
>>7977019
There is no time and all shit happens now.
>>
>>7977024
That's absurd. Relativity of simultaneity prevents the definition of any meaningful universal "now".
>>
>>7977008
The information exists in a strictly acausal sense or the universe wouldn't be here to exist in any causal sense to begin with. The universe spends absolutely 100% of its time doing physics calculations. Any else simply is not the universe and you'd have to regress to pre-Descartes logic to get a new phenomenological hypothesis.
>>
>>7977030
>Relativity of simultaneity
More like objectivity of simultaneity.

It's like you don't even know what quantum information is.
>>
File: 1456211491028.gif (436 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1456211491028.gif
436 KB, 320x240
>>7977024
>There is no time and all shit happens now.
>>7977067
>More like objectivity of simultaneity.
>It's like you don't even know what quantum information is.

MOOK, HELP!!!!
Please ban 'tards like this.
They are the cancer that's killing /sci/.
>>
>>7977080
If you want to talk retrocausality you'll need to be open to retrocausality. This isn't hard.
>>
>>7977030
you are wrong. the relativity of simultaneity is merely a perceptual thing. "time" as in the rate of change of matter and energy can happen at different speeds with gravity or acceleration. but everything is still happening right now.
>>
File: 9WUFpjB.jpg (41 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
9WUFpjB.jpg
41 KB, 312x500
>>7977083
>This isn't hard.
Nor is it /sci/ence.
And NO, there is no evidence for time being either fictional or universal.
>>
>>7977097
>no evidence for
No internet forum will ever require evidence before holding a discussion of possibilities. Please leave.

>>>/sci/fi GET
>>
>>7977097
i think you two are using different time meanings.

one is the time you can measure with clocks or atoms. The other is an abstraction.
>>
>>7977008
the math says time goes slower for you as you approach the speed of light, and the math says that if you go over the speed of light that time will move in reverse.
>>
thats kinda true. there is no recorded data stored in history. it's not like a gameplay video or anything. Information continuously transforms and changes and there is no way to go back
>>
>>7977593
>there is no recorded data stored in history
That you are aware of, anyways... Can you actually prove that statement?
>>
>>7977619
I can't prove something that isn't there.
>>
>>7977635
Can you prove it isn't there? I didn't think so... Just because you aren't smart enough or knowledgeable enough to understand something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>7977653
yep. same goes for lying pink unicorns living on the other side of the milkyway
>>
>>7977619
Construct a hypothesis. Philosophy won't give you answers about rigorous subsets of reality.
>>
>>7977056
/thread
>>
>>7977619
> Can you prove X is doesn't exist.
Oh the good old christian cop out
>>
Traveling in time would basically require the creation of matter.

If you travel in time you are basically duplicating every single atom that comprises you. Because even if you travel to before your birth or after your death the atoms that will become you or the atoms that used to comprise your body still exist somewhere.
>>
Is time an axis?
>>
>>7977719
its a vectoral dimension. just like X,Y,Z
>>
>>7977707
No, not at all. I am not the one making bold, unprovable statements here and treating them as fact. I would take the same position if someone told me that god exists and that I should just accept that as fact without any shred of reasoning or proof whatsoever. There is a ton of shit that we do not know about the universe in which we live.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (2 MB, 540x297) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
2 MB, 540x297
>>7978283
And that is exactly what a copout is. When you ask a scientist that "Can you prove X ?" He doesn't say, "well...can you prove that it isn't X ? Ha, you can't !!!" He goes through and excruciating process of trial and error and pages of research publications and peer previews and only after all of those measurements and tests have been confirmed, he can finally say "I can prove this". Which is waaaay too far away from your case.

So I can't prove that god doesn't exist but I don't give a shit. I'm not the one making claims about it, I'm not the one who has to bother proving anything.
>>
>>7978300
What in the fuck are you going on about? I haven't made any claims about anything in this thread. A dipshit made a claim of "X is true." I asked him to prove it. The burden of proof lies with the idiot who originally made the unprovable statement and presented it as fact.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 539x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 539x567
>http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016AAS...22720207T
>ALMA Reveals a Galaxy-Scale Fountain of Cold Molecular Gas Pumped by a Black Hole

There's observational evidence to support the hypothesis that some or all matter in a galaxy enters a blackhole, where it's ejected back into the galaxy.

During it's travel through the blackhole, all matter is made to adopt the form of a cord which is one particle thick - spaghettification. Length contraction due to a velocity near c would also compress the cord at a certain point, so at that point you'd have a whole bunch of particles under very homogenizing conditions.

This leads to entanglement, which is basically a situation where one or more particles act like one particle. So a beam of collimated, entangled fermions erupts from the blackhole.

Immediately, the beam decollimates, and the particles lose their entanglement. The further the distance, the more decollimation would occur.

A future state can effect a past state;

>http://m.livescience.com/19975-spooky-quantum-entanglement.html

But this makes no sense, unless you assume every state the particle will ever be in exists simultaneously. So, the particles composing your body also exist inside the blackhole - at the same time. Your actions now can effect the past, in the sense that the past states necessary for any future state can be observed by taking actions that require the past states to be X Y or Z. In other words, history is retroactive.

Basically, either time flows in three dimensions, or it doesn't exist at all.
>>
>>7977719
>>7977734

should point out that spacetime doesn't have the typical Euclidean metric, i.e. the time dimension is treated differently. But yes, you treat time as another dimension that you move through, specifics aside.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.