[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on The Fermi Paradox and why intelligent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: Enrico_Fermi_1943-49.jpg (2 MB, 2358x2922) Image search: [Google]
Enrico_Fermi_1943-49.jpg
2 MB, 2358x2922
What are your thoughts on The Fermi Paradox and why intelligent life has not contacted our civilization by now?
>>
Because they're made of antimatter instead of matter and will be annihilated instantly if they come anywhere near us

/bread
>>
>>7975863
There is no paradox when you consider how rare life is.
>>
>>7975863
I think it's because no organisms are currently inhabiting our small part of the galaxy or maybe universe (I emphasis currently). Maybe at one point there was an group of organism. Populations of organisms might just not live long enough to evolve into complex intelligent life forms (Intelligent enough to survive catastrophic events). This also applies to life on earth, In all likelihood, sometime soon (A few million years), life will be totally wiped out.
>>
File: Laser_Towards_Milky_Ways_Centre.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1816) Image search: [Google]
Laser_Towards_Milky_Ways_Centre.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1816
I always entertained the idea that maybe we are not the only but the first occurence of sentient/sapient/sophont life in the observable universe, considering the age of the universe (as far as we know) and the stretches of time it takes for conscious life to develop (again, as far as we know).

I am, however, not saying that this possibility is more likely than others, but I like to think of that scenario as our resonsibility to get our shit together instead of waiting for some future encounter with a superior alien civilisation that might not even exist. Maybe one day we will be considered to be the Great Elders who roamed the universe and paved the way for later civilisations to come.
>>
>>7975870
This would be pretty hardcore. Now the japs can take kamikaze to the next level.
>>
>>7975863
Here's why intelligent life hasn't contacted us
They're probably
>Roughly around our level of technology and thus don't even know we exist
>Haven't found us
>Haven't even been looking
>So highly advanced they feel bothering us in our current tech and social level would be harmful
>So highly advanced they don't give a fuck
>Disgusted by our planet's current state of affairs so why bother

Top 3 are the most likely. Also aren't we in like the ass end ghetto boonies of our galaxy?
>>
>>7975863
because
>intelligent
>>
>>7975863
It isn't a real paradox at all. It is absurdly faulty logic based on very old "science". The latest revisions of it do not take everything into account. Hell, it doesn't even take into account the most basic shit about radio communications. The most absurd thing is that people think radio communications without using a pulsar is actually possible. That's merely 1 example out of 100s.
>>
>>7975952
FAKE
>>
>>7975863
>implying humans have contacted all life on this planet
>HURR WHY NO ALIENS CONTACT US THROUGH HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF LIGHTYEARS RIGHT NOW HMM?!

Because there is no paradox.
>>
To detect a radio signal, you have to have the receiver on when the hollow sphere of photons wafts into you. If the signal is directional, the odds of accidently catching it are zero.

So, a civilization has a temporal window within which it can detect radio signals, before and after which it's blind. Unless the signal comes during this window, the civilization will never hear it.

So, let's say that tomorrow, humanity went radio-silent. There would be a roughly one hundred LY thick hollow sphere. Unless you happened to be inside this sphere and have a receiver, you'd never pick up the signal.

The odds of having a receiver while the sphere flows over you is very low. If the number of radio civilizations was low enough, you'd never hear them unless you listened for hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

We've been listening for under fifty.
>>
>>7975863
countless civilizations more advanced than ours could have collapsed into the fucktillions of blackholes

the great attractor could have a giant spacewar

intelligent species may be as interested in earth as hikers are in random anthills
>>
>>7975876
I thought one of the pillars of the Fermi Paradox was that life shouldn't be this rare.
>>
Humanity has a tendency to kill there own kind. Not the kind of aquantance one whould want to make
>>
>>7976602
This is the reason for cuck culture. It is preparation for civilized association with alien species
>>
>>7976017
>we in like the ass end ghetto boonies of our galaxy?
by what metric
>>
>>7976618
distance from centre of galaxy
>>
Life exists only on Earth.

/thread.
>>
>>7976624
Would you say we're in the ass end ghetto boonies because we don't live in the centre of Earth?
>>
>>7976630
I'd say you live in the ass end ghetto boonies if you live far away from the city center, yes.

no to your ridiculous example, you stupid shitposter
>>
>>7976636
Looks like you're getting mad because I pointed out the utter stupidity of your comment

stay retarded
>>
>>7976638
>confirmed living in ass end ghetto boonies

Get a job, grow up, and move out, instead of shitposting on 4chan. You won't be triggered by the concept of living in a shithole that way.
>>
>>7976644
that doesn't even make sense. You're foaming at the mouth, yet I'm ...triggered
>>
>>7975863
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Washington,_D.C._UFO_incident
>>
>>7975863

Ayliums r real, an alien scout visited us about eight thousand years ago and promised to come back with a big ship to take us with them for some nefarious purpose, all the ancient religions talk about it.
>>
>>7975863
Humans have only been around for what, half a million years? That's short even on a geological time-scale, let alone a cosmological one.

Given that and the sheer size of the universe, It could be that intelligent lifeforms just don't last long enough to run into each other. On the other hand, maybe we ourselves haven't been around long enough to notice everything going on in our local corner of the galaxy. I mean, we didn't even get into space until half a century ago.

Finally, there's the fact that we really have no idea what to expect of extraterrestrial "life." It might not even be recognizable to us as such.
>>
Prime directive yo
>>
>>7975870
You can't /bread your own boast, Bagget.
>>
Because our galaxy is at full total war, Thousands of intelligent species exterminating each other, in this world the most important thing is to hide your homeworld(s) position from everyone else, because at this level of technology destroying a planet is a piece of cake once you know where it is.
No one is foolish enough to emit radiowave from there, those who were died once their signals were capted.
This is the reason of the radio blackout.
>>
>>7975863
Would you acknowledge an ant?

No advanced aliens would see our "smartness" as mental retardation and consider us to be animals rather than civilized beings.
>>
>>7975863
>intelligent life has not contacted our civilization
Yes I have! Is nobody listening?
>>
>>7975876
Fermi's paradox consider that the chance life appear in a earth like planet is strong.
>>
File: dcgkVsK.png (214 KB, 1348x1086) Image search: [Google]
dcgkVsK.png
214 KB, 1348x1086
>>
Because it's actually difficult for life to get to the point we're at. It doesn't matter if life forms, but that it advances.
Life can't advance unless:
Selection for intelligence occurs
There is some kind of potent, easily accessible, low tech energy source (OIL)
Species survives nuclear threat
Don't get shit on by cosmic happenstance
>>
Everywhere I look on the internet there is stupidity.

In every post, people completely misunderstand things from every possible angle.

In this case, mistake 1 is obsessing over popsci buzzwords 'fermi paradox'. Mistake 2 is to completely disregard the evidence for aliens already being here. If Buzz Aldrin, Edgar Mitchell, Gordon Cooper, to name a few credible witnesses among thousands SAY that aliens are already here and have anti-gravity technology, then WHY are people so fucking ignorant? There's no excuse. Logically, it makes no sense. You have to at least CONSIDER it before dismissing it. Nobody in this thread appears to have done that. This makes you all morons.

/thread
>>
>>7977714
>before dismissing it
Dismissing your post isn't the same as dismissing the source of your post. You didn't post a source.
>>
>>7977715
I shouldn't need to. I found the evidence on my own. People just need to spend a little effort instead of asking to be spoonfed.
>>
>>7976624
The center of the galaxy is a shooting gallery of supernovas and stars zooming around each other at extremely high velocities. I imagine most stable solar systems that can be calm for the billions of years it takes for life to evolve would be on the more calm outer regions of the galaxy.
>>
>>7977722
>asking to be spoonfed
Welcome to 4chan, where your opinion is a valid source and still nobody cares.
>>
>>7976017
>So highly advanced they realised life is pointless and died out
>>
>>7977714
i made a thread a few weeks ago asking what standard of proof would be required for alien visitation

seems like nothing would be good enough, most of the answers were things like 'a news conference with all the world leaders and some ayyliums'
which is about as far from science as you can get, frankly

admittedly the thread died pretty quickly, because everyone knows there is no acceptable proof for such an event, because it's not just an extraordinary claim, it's a completely unbelievable one

not to mention this idea of it being an extraordinary claim is totally bogus unless you assume life should be exclusive to earth for some reason - and we have no reason to believe this
>>
>>7975863
Same reason we haven't contacted them. We're light years upon light years apart.
>>
>>7976791
>you can't /bread your own toast, baguette

fixed
>>
File: 1241225618619.jpg (8 KB, 215x157) Image search: [Google]
1241225618619.jpg
8 KB, 215x157
Saturday night I was at a party near the woods, near midnight there was a beeping sound coming from the woods. It lasted a few minutes, and it sounded like an alarm of some sort except it was too irregular. The tone wasn't always exactly the same pitch, and the interval wasn't precise enough to be digital, if that makes sense. After a few minutes of the other two guys there trying to ignore it and talk about other things while I kept directing their attention to it, it moved away, the sound dopplered and faded. I'm going to guess it was moving at about 40-50mph, just comparing it with my memory of car noises as they drive past. It accelerated pretty much instantly. I think it was about a quarter mile away.

Now I find this thread and it makes me search "beeping ufo" and sure as shit, the noise at beepingufo.com is the same one I heard. I thought I was just drunk. I mean, I was, but I know what I heard. I'm in eastern washington, btw.

Anyone else ever hear these?
>>
>>7981407
Here's the page the sound is on:

http://www.beepingufos.com/sounds/
>>
>>7975876
I'm pretty sure that even if the Fermi problem considers the chance of life on earth small, there are still way too many earth like planets in our galaxy for something fucky not to be going on.
>>
>>7976732
You mean intelligent humans? They only have been around for 50.000 years.
>>
>>7976813
Then why are we still around?

How about this for you scifi fantasy,
>other sentient species evolved on hostile and/or nearly inhospitable planets
>they have been around for a lot longer than us, explaining their advanced tech in comparison to ours on a hospitable safe planet
>some of the species have been wiped out due to stray signals giving away their home base
>some of those species with no home planet still survive, though in near extinction capacity, surviving off resources scoured from off planet bases and/or asteroid fields/uninhabited planets
>there are a few other planets similar to ours that are ruled over by a couple of the strongest species
>Earth has so far been left virtually untouched (a few minor visitations and abductions) due to distance problems and the fact that everyone knows where we are and are watching, making it dangerous to approach without alerting the forces of another species
>>
File: ohmy.jpg (26 KB, 377x400) Image search: [Google]
ohmy.jpg
26 KB, 377x400
Why are there so many cases of the ISS cameras capturing an unknown object and then a few seconds later the video feed cuts out?
>>
>>7977722
>I found the evidence on my own
Code words for "I've been brainwashed by conspiracy videos and can't recall which exact video it was that provided me with this info".

You should really stop to think about why people do things. All those names you listed mean nothing. People will say things for a multitude of reasons, least of all being because it's the truth.
>>
>>7981407
Looks like you were visited by that pesky Roadrunner.
>>
File: Grover.jpg (8 KB, 240x223) Image search: [Google]
Grover.jpg
8 KB, 240x223
>>7981472
>so many cases
>posts zero
>>
>>7981492

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=youtube+ISS+camera+cuts+feed
>>
>>7981522
>implying any video "evidence" you find by searching this counts as evidence for anything

Why is that all these Alien nut job video uploaders on youtube always direct you to their next "smoking gun" video, as if they are so connected to the aien/ufo scene that they always have new video evidence to post.

"Like and subscribe"
"Don't repost without citing us as the source"

Your mentally challenged if you think anything these "view seekers" have to say is worthwhile.
>>
>>7975863
The past 20 years may suggest an answer.

The Fermi Paradox depends on the assumption that any society that's capable of space travel/exploration/colonization will value it highly enough to pursue that goal with whatever means it has available. In contrast, our own society has seen a marked reduction in interest in space travel relative to its peak in the mid 20th century; people have become relatively content with their lives and unwilling to devote the resources necessary to spread beyond Earth. Who's to say that a similar slow-down in space exploration isn't common among alien species?

Keep in mind that every year after a civilization has reached the atomic age but has not yet colonized other worlds, there's a chance that they will be wiped out or at least reduced to pre-modern levels by nuclear war. Think of how many species could have managed to get a few probes around their solar system before stagnating and ultimately collapsing in war. There may be thousands of worlds with the wreckage of satellites floating around in orbit while the people down below are fighting with swords, ignorant of their own past.
>>
>>7975863
>The Fermi Paradox
(1) not a paradox
(2) he assumed we would know whether they were "here"
>>
They're really far away
>>
it's fallacious to assume intelligent life would be anything above "astronomically unlikely"

it took 3+ billion years for intelligent life to arise on Earth, which is already a highly favorable planet for life in general
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.