[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any popsci you like ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (67 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
67 KB, 1920x1080
We all know most popsci is annoying, facebook pages like "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE" and 9gag posts that end with "fuck yeah science !!!" when talking about melting ice or some other shit by using oversimplified explanations.
But is there any popsci you actually like ? To me Vsauce is pretty good, he's accessible but touches on a lot of subjects and introduces some cool ways to look at things while often giving links to interesting websites.
Computerphile are very entry level in most of their videos but occasionally they show some more in depth and interesting content, for example those jpeg compression videos were very well illustrated and made me understand how it worked right away (I needed it for a computer vision class) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2aEzeMDHMA
>>
>>7972454
i do agree with you,Russell.

Michael is a nice guy.The way he introduces science to kids is very nice.
>>
>>7972454
Vsauce is cool. I also like Veritasium.
>>
Vsauce gets a little annoying at times. Veritasium, however, is pretty cool, except a lot of the stuff he talks about falls more under the category of actual science, rather than popsci.

For example, he as made some videos that demonstrate and emphasize the principle of falsification and its importance in science, whereas popsci sources throw around bullshit nonsensical phrases like "scientifically confirmed", as if science is a process of positive confirmation as opposed to falsification.
>>
File: andrea_morello.jpg (142 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
andrea_morello.jpg
142 KB, 1920x1080
I've seen this guy in a veritasium video

god I love this guy, wish he was my prof
>>
>>7972454
Anything on cable.
>inb4 paying for cable
You get what you pay for, National Geographic popsci is leagues above youtube popsci. It's not some dumb kid fresh out of high school thinking he can explain black holes with the help of MS paint, the shows are actually planned with the advice of real scientists and use good CGI.
>>
File: Relativity Pleb.png (166 KB, 1020x445) Image search: [Google]
Relativity Pleb.png
166 KB, 1020x445
>>7972454
Pop-sci is acceptable.
Pop-sci and pop-sci consumers on /sci/ are cancer.
>>
>>7972454
Numberphile
:^)
>>
>>7972454
>Is there any popsci you like ?

This channel. It is a good platform for additional research,

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt

As well as:

http://www.diffusionradio.com/
http://www.radiolab.org/series/podcasts/

And of course the guilty pleasure:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w
>>
>>7972454
Not exactly a science channel, but along the same lines

I love to watch Captain Disillusion. His vids are interesting and the production quality is outstanding
>>
3Blue1Brown hands down has the best animations out of all the math channels. Simple and effective.
All of his videos so far are pure gold.

This is his latest video released today.
The Brachistochrone, with Steven Strogatz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cld0p3a43fU
>>
I like Objectivity a lot, and numberphile is okay also.
>>
>>7972484
I get what I don't pay for ;)
>>
>>7973486
Well don't complain if it's shit <;-}
>>
>>7973407
good opinion
>>
>>7972454
I really like veritasium and smarter every day. Numberphile and periodic videos are good too
>>
File: real science.png (464 KB, 1249x285) Image search: [Google]
real science.png
464 KB, 1249x285
>>7972465
>veritasium
>>
File: WNYC_Radiolab_logo.svg.png (38 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
WNYC_Radiolab_logo.svg.png
38 KB, 1280x960
>>7972454
I tried listening to pic related, and I found it way too flashy. Like V-sauce, I find they try too hard to be philosophical and thought provoking instead of just letting the subject matter stand on it's own.

I really like In Our Time because they have university professors on the show, even if they can barely string together a sentence. They put information first and entertainment last.
>>
File: _20160402_111246.jpg (35 KB, 859x359) Image search: [Google]
_20160402_111246.jpg
35 KB, 859x359
>>7972649
>https://www.youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt

I watched two of his videos and both has misinformation.

>What Is Addiction
>I swear if this just another video about rat park that doesn't talk about drug contiguity or the competing behaviors of rat park
>Is exactly that

Why people are all of a sudden misrepresenting a near 30 year old study is beyond me.
>>
>>7972454
I don't know if this counts as "pop-sci" but Applied Science is an incredible YouTube channel. It's run by an ex-Valve employee who now works at Google. He does everything from chemistry to electrical engineering to physics/optics.

This one is probably my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAm7qAKAXwI
>>
File: 5ceU0JI.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
5ceU0JI.gif
1 MB, 320x180
Scishow is goat desu
>>
>>7973013
I'm subscribed to him, and I have to say that he is absolute gold amongst other youtubers. Amazing animations and in depth explanations of interesting problems.

Currently thinking about the challenge he left at the end of the brachistochrone video.
>>
No mention of Sixty Symbols?
Smarter Every Day is pretty solid too
>>
>>7973918
>scishow
>goat

My ex used to watch this jump-cutting garbage

Just fucking kill yourself
>>
>>7973716
>misinformation
>misrepresenting

What the fuck do you even think popsci is?
>>
PBS Space Time is great if you can get past that annoying fuckface of a narrator. Some of their videos are a bit ridiculous, but it's mostly fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZGPCyrpSU

My all-time favorite is MinutePhysics though. Simple, verifiable, science. And cats.
>>
>>7972624

>Einstein btfo
>uses only Newtonian gravity

and sadly this is only the tamest of relativity cranks out there. pop-sci really ruined society
>>
>>7974421

This was the first PBS Space Time video I saw (happened to be in the suggested videos, yeah great system YouTube FUCK OFF): https://youtu.be/msVuCEs8Ydo?t=2m53s

Yeah, you can go ahead and block that channel. Stick to DrPhysicsA and Susskind's lectures honestly.
>>
>>7974664
the videos with the old narrator were much better.
>>
>>7974408
Popsci is scientific information that is made in a boiled down format for the general populace but the point of this thread is to discuss which popsci do so without messing up the main points of the science which this man obviously does not.
>>
File: phd051809s.gif (103 KB, 600x667) Image search: [Google]
phd051809s.gif
103 KB, 600x667
>>7974718
All popsci is bad science. Every single bit of it is fully incorrect and bad. It is literally a term used to describe this very process.
>>
>>7974732
Then what is the term for diluted science meant to be viewed by the public? Or are you trying to state that somehow any science related news made for those outside that area is wrong?
>>
>>7974750
Science education, like at school.
(not the anon you were replying to)
>>
>>7974750
>diluted science

The instant you "dilute" your science, you've turned it into bad science. This is like those electrician fags who use water analogies to describe how electricity works. It is 100% incorrect and terrible.
>>
>>7974763
Bad is relative and does not make it one hundred percent incorrect. For instance the video I was mentioning with rat park I could easily alter the video's views just a bit and discuss just a few extra points and it would be very accurate with just small largely irrelevant details omited that can be easily looked up.

Honestly you just sound ridiculous and irrationally elitist.
>>
>>7972454
VSauce is shit.

All his videos are like "This is the phenomenon known as X. Now, what about this totally unrelated thing, Y?"

Nigga can't talk about one thing for more than 15 seconds.
>>
>>7973686
Not all his videos are good, but some are.
>>
File: 1453856212642.jpg (439 KB, 1050x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453856212642.jpg
439 KB, 1050x1080
>>7972454
>>7972465
I've never watched a Vsauce video, but looking at his profile picture I'm reminded of this.
>>
>>7972454
This is a good channels m8s
>>
>>7974823
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfnvGXpy-g
forgot to link, confirmed faggot
>>
>>7973686

He's been too hung up on life and death recently, probably he's going through depression or some 30's something crisis.
>>
>>7974782
I think you are forgetting what the word "science" means, kid.
>>
>>7974786
Hey guys vsause here. I would like to talk to you about black holes. You see black holes can actually be used as euphemisms for asshole. Take your mums asshole for instance. It's gape reaches across the galaxies. Galaxies are actually a collection of a bunch of stars. Collection coming from Latin word collectus meaning "to collect". You know what else is fun to collect? Stamps. Originated in England they actually were first used in France by Napoleon to order mail brides from Russia. In Russian empire there are these things called babushkas. They are dolls with many layers, each containing a smaller version of itself. According to a new study, the universe could also be made up of such layers. In one layer I could be cock juggling clown having a cock for a penis and you could be straight. But how do we define straight? What Is a line in mathematics? A line goes on forever. Forever is a wonderful concept which is difficult to graps with out tiny brains. According to new research from neuroscience your brain is actually finite. But accoriding to an ancient Greek philosopher. If you were to spank me, you could never actually do it, since your hadn has to travel hakf the way to my voluptuous bottom, and then a fourth and an eight, and so on. Speaking of Greece did you know that they had a steady decline in culture and economy for the past few thousands years, culminating in the poverty that they live in now. Did you know that povery actually originated in the ancient Mesopotamia? It was invented by the aristocracy to keep the man down and impose obedience. Aristocracy did a lot of weird shit. Such has proclaiming themselves to be gods in ancient Egypt and in doing some force themselves to mate with each other, since they couldn't mate with normies, in doing so inventing incest. Inventing was invented in England during the industrial age, and it gave birth to the computers which run on Quantum Mechanics. Quantum luctuations are what gave birth to black holes.
>>
>>7974799
>pic

I wonder what the life is like for the person who put that image together.
>>
File: 1424045778206.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1424045778206.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>7972454
>Never found pop sci annoying
>Always found it entertaining and enjoyable when ti wasn't pseudo-science
>Used it to help friends and family gain cursory knowledge about scientific subjects and led some to investigate further
>MFW /sci/ aspies get butthurt people don't wanna read research papers and take 400 level courses to learn about scientific topics
>>
>>7973686
>Why Anecdotes Trump Data
>is pro-Mythbusters
>actually defends them
>rambles on about pretty much nothing

Thanks fucker, now he has +1 on his viewer count.
>>
>>7975015
All popsci is pseudo-science though. It isn't real science. That is exactly what pseudo-science is.
>>
>>7972454
Vsauce is indeed the best sci channel, I just wish he post more often
>>
Bashing popsci is pretty edgy, in my book. It's like, "Fuck popsci for watering down science to appeal to a less informed or younger audience. And fuck their attitudes as well, because I associate a lot of their social quirks with people I dislike in real life."
>>
File: 1449170410976.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449170410976.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>7975020
Keep spreading the meme
>>
>>7975025
More like fuck popsci for pretending to be real science and shitting up everything real science does. Popsci faggots are people doing a disservice to science. The Holy God of Popsci, Carl Sagan gave anal birth to the Prophet of Popsci Neil Degrasse Tyson.

>>7975026
Popsci is literally meme-sci.
>>
>>7975035
Isn't the problem really just people who don't realize that popsci is a watered down explanation for different things in science? These people take it literally instead of delving deep into it.

It's like me blaming bullet points in textbooks because for some reason people started making Facebook images of them and sharing them with each other and literally believing it word-for-word instead of learning more about it.
>>
>>7975039
>These people take words literally
Imagine that, if you can!
>>
>>7974999
I think you are forgetting the entire point of these videos. They are not meant to replace reading the study but to entertain and easily introduce the content to both researchers and others. In a way it is a visual abstract. Why are you being so irrational?
>>
>>7975008
He probably got cancer putting it together.
>>
>>7975665
>They are not meant to replace reading the study but to entertain and easily introduce the content to both researchers and others

How wrong you are. Popsci is meant only as preventive entertainment. It helps satisfy curiosity and cravings for doing something thereby halting the people watching it from expanding further into actual science.

The "desire to know more" merely develops into "consume more popsci". It literally keeps people from becoming scientists and prevents people from expanding their minds in the proper direction.
>>
>>7974664
I think the Susskind lectures are great, but the comment section on the videos is 100% crank.
>>
>>7975718
You really don't know what you're talking about. If we were to teach "real" science as you think it is, you'd be shocked. Modern science is axiomatic.

You create models, and these models make some fairly absurd claims often times that can be tested. There's no "understanding" in modern science.

What I'm trying to say is, you're saying "popsci gives kids bad ideas of how to understand science by false ideas" and I'm saying "there are no ideas to understand in the first place."

That being said, there's no harm in "water" as an analogy for currents. It's at most a useful mnemonic for memorizing some formulas. Humans like stories and songs because that's what we're good at memorizing from being tribal retards probably. We can at best describe reality, not understand it. Analogies make things seem less overwhelming.
>>
>>7972454
here we go again

Just because you just started CS, doesn't mean you`ve earned the right to complain about "popscience".
>>
File: supa-hot-fire.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
supa-hot-fire.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7975762
>>
>>7975757
>tell anon in plain english what it means
>it totally goes over his head in an instant
>he babbles on about unrelated shit until finally talking out of his ass

Okay, so you're either a fucking moron or a troll. Either way, good day, sir.
>>
File: pv_periodic_videos_team_2_0.jpg (221 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
pv_periodic_videos_team_2_0.jpg
221 KB, 800x508
Anything the people at Nottingham University do is superb. Periodic Videos, Sixty Symbols, Numberphile, Nottingham Science, &c. Even working scientists/mathematicians watch that stuff.
>>
>>7972454
Vsauce is nice, minute physics is also cool.
But if find veritasium meh
>>
>>7975938
Periodic Videos are golden
>>
File: images (7).jpg (6 KB, 182x240) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
6 KB, 182x240
>>7975938
>>
>>7974421
>>7974664
I liked both narrators, but in some vids they used MLP ponies in their explanations. and it made me cringe. Probably because PBS owns it but still.
>>
>>7975003
Lulz
>>
>>7973723
This project of his blew my mind. This guy is a true renaissance man of science and technology. Seems like a nice guy too, albeit a bit aspie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YEdHjGMeho

Cody'sLab is probably my favorite science-oriented channel right now. He takes on a lot of cool projects. Apparently a fusion reactor is in the works.
>>
>>7975938
I wish Brady Harran was my dad.
>>
>>7974407
You seem very angry for no reason, anon.
No wonder she's your ex
>>
>>7974763
>Feynmann diagrams are bad because they don't perfectly represent what's happening
>>
>>7975938
Underrated post.
>>
>>7975003
Underrated
>>
>>7975938
Brady really is one of the greatest. I got into this circle of videos/channels first with Numberphile.
>>
>>7977816
Feynman diagrams don't correspond anything at all, from a physical view point.
They are just a diagrammatic way of representing algebraic expressions - the lines are propagators, whose exact form depends on the theory, the vertices are a numerical factor of g, the coupling constant, an integral over space, and a delta function for the momenta going into the vertex. Things like that.
This correspondence is exact.
>>
>>7975019
>is pro-Mythbusters
>actually defends them
this, they get enough defence from mouthbreathing normies anyway
>>
No, all popsci is cancer. The masses shouldn't be able to understand how the natural world works.

I also write all my papers in Latin.
>>
>>7973918
literally the worst speaking voice ever in all of history
>>
>>7972454
>popsci

Garbage that clogs up the wheels of modern science. It should be illegal.
>>
>>7978939
>The masses shouldn't be able to understand how the natural world works.

The ironic thing is that popsci doesn't actually teach them real science at all. Thus, they never really learn how the natural world works. Because of that very fact, you get shit like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgrOXVJ77M

...And, people are so fucking ignorant about science and the natural world they ACTUALLY FUCKING BELIEVE THIS IS REAL.
>>
File: NumberedEquation4.gif (2 KB, 174x54) Image search: [Google]
NumberedEquation4.gif
2 KB, 174x54
>>7974407
I always assumed due to the bright colors and quick jump cuts that SciShow was made for children. Why would you hate on someone for entertaining kids anon? You seem like kind of an asshole desu.
>>
>>7972636
Numberphile is good. Fuck you.
>>
>>7974999
>kid
Opinion discarded
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.