[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would this kill a person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 20140305+Brewster+Armor+Article.png (194 KB, 470x384) Image search: [Google]
20140305+Brewster+Armor+Article.png
194 KB, 470x384
Hey sci I was wondering how I could figure out whether or not a bullet would kill somebody by shock alone.

I've been thinking about the possible effectiveness of brewster style body armor I'm the napoleonic era, and while I figured out that you'd be impervious to even massed
Musket fire, I can't seem to figure out what canister shot from a 12 pound artillery gun would do.

Here's the math

Canister shot goes 450 m/s at point blank and 300 m/s at 100 yards before rapidly dropping as it spreads out.

Each ball weighs 1.5 ounces or .0425 kg

They would not be able to Penetrate the armor

We are a assuming a center of mass or chest hit.

Also the point blank ball has 4kj of energy and the ball at 100 yards has 2kj (kilo joules).

Aldo what would the effects of 2-6 if these hitting s person be?
>>
>>7972166
Also if there is anybody good with math you could try to see how much the ball would deflect off of the angled chest plate

By the way I heard a source say that at 100 yards the shock of a ball would kill you, at 200 yards you might survive, and past that you will likely survive.

Thats all with just a great coat and no armor taken into consideration.
>>
File: yanktonsiouxdemo-color-co-7.jpg (184 KB, 750x588) Image search: [Google]
yanktonsiouxdemo-color-co-7.jpg
184 KB, 750x588
>>7972177

Finally, can anybody tell me how deadly a windbusche (millitary air rifle) would be? I've heard reports of lethality at 150 or more yards

It fires a 46 caliber ball, weighing 147 grains / 9.5 grams at 900 fps
>>
>>7972166
What's up with these names
>>
>>7972166
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnLgmNVQ5I

The only thing that could kill you would be a cannon. Watch the Vid and see for yourself.
>>
>>7972166
2-4kJ isn't that impressive for a ballistic projectile. That's about the same as your average rifle round.

It's not the kinetic energy that does damage to the human body, it's kinetic energy over surface area that is the reason why bullets can kill. Body armor doesn't magically make the energy from a rifle or pistol round disappear, it just spreads the energy out over as large of a surface area as possible.
>>
>>7972180
Bumping for deadlyness asessment

I heard somebody say that this is like a 45 acp
>>
>>7972166
Ask on /k/
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.