[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could science ever harness the power of the electric eel? This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Electric-eel2.jpg (142 KB, 700x585) Image search: [Google]
Electric-eel2.jpg
142 KB, 700x585
Could science ever harness the power of the electric eel? This thing produces 650V of electricity. I for one envision a world where I plug my MacBookpro into an eel to charge it.
>>
>>>/sci/sqt
>>
>>7971859
I don't know who the hell you think you are, Mr. Harvey. But I think we could change the world with these algorithms.
>>
>>7971848
Sir, you need to find the short circuit current of your eel and how long it can sustain it.
>>
File: Eel.jpg (62 KB, 550x369) Image search: [Google]
Eel.jpg
62 KB, 550x369
>>7971848
Science already has:
http://www.themarysue.com/eel-anus-hospitalization/
>>
>>7971848
>An electric eel shock lasts about 3ms, and it can shock apparently 150 times per hour without getting tired (http://www.enotes.com/science-fa...) - the shock is at a voltage of about 500 V, with a current of 1 A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ele...). Assuming a well-fed and properly-agitated eel can shock 150 times per hour 24/7, that means each eel is putting out 225 Joules per hour, or on average 62.5 mW.

Cultivating electrocytes and storing them in a nutrient rich life support solution could give you a few watts of continuous energy.
>>
>>7971848

WHEEEEEEEEEEN

YOUR PHONE'S JUICE GETS DRY AND SOME POWER'S NEARBY, THAAAAT'S

A MORAY

DON'T YOU BOTHER TO CHECK, WHETHER MORAY'S "ELEC", THAAAAT'S

'LEC-TRI-FIED
>>
https://twitter.com/eelectricmiguel
>>
>>7971848

> 650 volts

that's a totally useless measurement of energy
>>
No,there's always morals in the way.
>>
>>7971848
>I plug my MacBookpro into an eel to charge it.
Eel hard keep at home. Better plug your MacBookPro into GMO-dog to charge it.
>>
>>7971848
No, they waste energy growing and moving and are hence inefficient
>>
>>7972500
>62.5 mW

So you need about 1000 electric eels to power a single desktop computer?
>>
>>7973405
Farming animals isn't judged to be immoral by any society that's got passed the hunter-gatherer stage.
>>
>want to be off the grid
>have windmill
>have solar panels
>have well
>have huge vat full of 10,000 electric eels
>turn on my toaster while my dishwasher is on
>circuit fucking trips

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I already have a patent on this it works well , however if you use it I'll sue you for infringement sorry
>>
650 Volts..

But how many amperes?

If it ends up being in microamperes it ain't worth shit
>>
>>7973405
morays*
>>
>>7974148
Talk about a battlestation
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.