[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hurr engineers learn just as much as mathfags and physicists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Drake-MAIN.jpg (44 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
Drake-MAIN.jpg
44 KB, 615x409
>hurr engineers learn just as much as mathfags and physicists
>in uni: calc III/ODE
>in real life: excel and basic geometry with CAD

it's like bragging you one rep'd a plate in high school on /fit/ while you clench a shaker in your personal gym. why are engineers so deluded? i'm not going to deny they're important to society, but in no way are you on even intellectual ground with real STEM majors. Every single project or contribution you make is built on the premise that a physicist or mathematician produced. if they didn't exist, you wouldn't be able to do your job. CS fags are useless? guess who made your CAD software and CNC firmware. Engineers need to stop talking so much shit about these. You need to learn all of them, the programming, the CAD/matlab/C++/etc, and the theories that work in ideals. if you can't adapt yourself why are you even trying to act like your opinion matters? it's asinine. I just find this so fucking hilarious. You really do have to be 1st year tier to be so butthurt about theoreticalfags or CSfags to think that they're useless, when you can't even work past draught stages or cost analysis.
>>
>>7970917
y u mad tho
>>
>>7970918
because it's fucking hypocrisy. imagine a cab driver talking shit about an automotive engineer. he gets to point A and B, not you. why do you matter in the equation?
>>
>>7970917
>in real life: excel and basic geometry with CAD

not even remotely true. practicing engineers are very involved with numerical methods, particularly convergence of solutions and orders of error. i know you think CAD software is nothing but virtual legos, but they are comprehensive CFD/FEA packages which require knowledge of PDE's and complex analysis.
>>
>>7970923
Nobody IRL cares about mathematics except as a means to an end to solve a problem.

Nobody. Not even you.

Like nobody gives a fuck about cars except as a means to get to point a to point b. People become mechanics and automotive engineers because of nessicity, not because anybody in the world would care about cars if cars were unnecessary

Wonder that anyone pays people to work on math problems that have no basis in reality. Maybe that's why tuition is so high?
>>
>>7970980
Nobody IRL cares about engineering except as a means to an end to solve a problem.

Nobody. Not even you.

Like nobody gives a fuck about machines except as a means to get to point a to point b. People become mathematicians and physicists because of nessicity, not because anybody in the world would care about machines if machines were unnecessary

Wonder that anyone pays people to work on engineering problems that have no basis in reality. Maybe that's why tuition is so high?
>>
>>7970993
>engineering problems that have no basis in reality
Your argument/meme falls apart here
>>
>>7970997
>99 percent of problems utilize kinematics and not dynamics
>basis in reality

pick one
>>
File: 1358140128210.jpg (222 KB, 800x989) Image search: [Google]
1358140128210.jpg
222 KB, 800x989
>electricity and magnetism for physicsists
>study all the nitty gritty components
>give an arbitrary circuit question
>"uh uh what do I do?"

u guys are all talk. The world is results driven and you're too busy looking at the formula sheet to do anything.

I'm a computer engineer and I have nothing but respect for STEM, CS and math included. I just don't care about the details as much as I care about the final product. You can't win every battle.
>>
Enjoying thinking about real maths while flipping burger OP ?
>>
>>7970917
I have noticed that every single one of the "engineers vs pure science" shitposts are started by the pure science guys. This is one of the reasons I switched from pure science to engineering, everyone was autistically overcompetitive to make up for having no girlfriend or whatever, it was a really shitty atmosphere. The main reason though was that engineering is way more employable.
>>
>>7970917
Since this tread is shit:
>Be me
>Be physics grad
>Talking to engineer friend
>He works in the automotive industry
>Looking at some formulae for estimating impact severity
>Notice they'd give the same values for a bus and a smart car
>"What the hell is that about dude?"
>"No idea, but they're industry standard... So..."
>According to the automotive industry the impact of a tens of tons bus is equally as severe as a 1,800 pound car.

What the hell?
>>
what the fuck happened to the site format??
>>
>>7971595
Oh yay we get "comical" names.
>>
>>7971584
"pure science"
>>
>>7971584
>I have noticed that every single one of the "engineers vs pure science" shitposts are started by the pure science guys.
That is bullshit and you know it.
>The main reason though was that engineering is way more employable.
And that is exactly what engineers (or false flagging trolls) start their shitposts with. Don't tell me you have never seen those, and that they aren't just as common.

>>7971595
>>7971603
I'm just glad it'll be gone tomorrow.
>>
I'm a CS student, I adore math geniuses.
all present day CS would be completly irrelevant in 30 years, math will always be relevant.
Problem is: I'm too much of a normalfag so the high salaries in CS attract me more than the purity of math.
Anyway, if you aren't top 5% in your class, it doesn't matter, CS will lead you to developing useless programs for an OK salary and math will lead you to teaching for an OK salary.
Mediocre-fags will always be sad, no matter how hard you try.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY FAGS
>>
>>7971617
>all present day CS would be completly irrelevant in 30 years, math will always be relevant.

Completely false. Algorithmic analysis, correctness and complexity proofs will always be useful regardless of advances in technology.

The model of computation might change but the fundamental skills used for reasoning about computation will always stay relevant.
>>
>>7971620

Also why the fuck is my tripcode not showing up.
>>
>>7971620
Yes you are right, I should've written MOST instead of ALL
>>
>>7971616
> That is bullshit and you know it.

Not that guy, but even though you're right when it comes to /sci/, I think it's exactly the opposite in real life.

Me and my other engineering buddies have the utmost respect for physics and maths guys, and know we could never hold a candle to them if you were to measure just based on pure talent alone.

On the other hand, I hear physics majors talk shit about engineers all fucking day long in the physics library. As in, there aren't even any engineers around, they're just standing around and laughing about how shit engineers are.

Most of the maths guys i've met are pretty chill though.
>>
>>7970917
For the engineers that barely squeaked out of undergrad this is true.

The reason this doesnt exist for the pure science majors who barely passed is because those people are unemployed.
>>
>>7971623
Holy shit I would gladly accept this april fools layout forever if it meant an end to tripfags.
>>
>>7971579
>Enjoying thinking about real maths while flipping burger OP ?
>can't even phrase a statement properly

we all know who's flipping burgers here.
>>
>>7971881
who would hire an engineer that barely passed. isn't that a greater liability than a researcher?
>>
>>7971572
comp. engi student in junior year here and I agree.
I remember taking a mandatory elec/magnetism intro physics course in freshman year as a part of my undergrad. Many of the engi kids struggled because it's just a different mode of thinking to what we usually did.

I have some close friends who study math and physics and their analytical skills are indeed out of my league, which i have heaps of respect for, but you bet i can design and build usable products better than they can (or at least im learning to anyway lol). they can tell me in detail about the potential in a capacitor and the motion of radiowaves between sensors, and I can't. But I can design and build a working system involving wireless communications, and they can't.

Scienists/mathematicians build the 'tools' and the engineers use them to make consumable products, that's all it is. Just ignore the people who say other wise and talk shit, which ever side they take. Most of the time theyre just losers who need something to cling on to, or they're just having a bad day
>>
>>7974040
what if i want to build the tools AND the product?
>>
>>7970917
>up to ODE
I wish.
>>
>>7974047
Engi/sci or engi/math dual? Maybe do post grad engi or sci and go into RnD? My cousin in law is in RnD for toyota and he seems to know his stuff, but i dont know. When i used the term tools i meant it in a very low level sense (like math theorems or the C programming language). Im guessing if you wanted to do both the low and relatively higher level work youd have to be pretty damn bright, but if youre actually good enough to be able to do it im sure youll find a way
>>
>>7971590
Impact severity depends on the mass of the two vehicles. maybe the value was a ratio between something like crush depth and delta v. Im no car crash expert though
>>
>>7971590
>what is momentum
Cars are usually faster than buses you know.
>>
>>7974047
Self employ
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.