[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Two kinds of depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1405616993361.jpg (28 KB, 254x213) Image search: [Google]
1405616993361.jpg
28 KB, 254x213
So it seems to me like there are two kinds of people that complain about depression. One seem to have reasonable reasons to feel down. Like being ugly, sick, poor, dumb, friendless, social phobic, without education/job... the other seem to be irrational and unable to explain why they feel bad. They have a college degree, good job, friends and a significant other...

So is the first case depression or just a reasonable reaction to being dealt a bad hand / being in a bad place in life? Then again there are people that have the same conditions without complaining about depression. Is it just a depression that happened early in life so it shaped the rest of it?
>>
>>7970862
Recently I've seen several psychologists and psychiatrists say that combining several things into 'major depression' was a mistake and that 'melacholic' and 'reactive' depression should have been maintained as separate diagnoses.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIcf-2AFHgw
>>
>>7970862
Depression is great, it makes you work. Happiness is equal to absolute poverty, you are too happy you don't care etc happiness throws duty, morals out of the window, happiness is like snorting cocaine, it will eventually make you poor and die
>>
>>7970890
>Depression is great, it makes you work
>Happiness is equal to absolute poverty
>War is peace
You're an liberal arts armchair philosopher who thinks she belongs on this board
>>
>>7970862
Depression is entirely different to "feeling bad".

>>7970890
>Depression is great, it makes you work.
No.
That's not how it works, you fuckwit.
>>
>>7970862

If you became an attractive billionaire overnight, but were given a choice to be instantaneously erased from existence, would you say yes?

Hint: if you would say no, you aren't depressed
>>
>>7971932
Implying mental illness is acontextual.
>>
>>7971932
So what you're saying is that depressed people don't exist? Because according to you they would have already killed themselves.
>>
>>7970862
The whole point of depression is that you feel like shit without having an obvious reason. If your life is shit and you feel bad about it its not depression.

Depression can be triggered by something bad like a friend dying, but its only depression if it lasts longer than a typical grieving period would be.
>>
test
>>
test again
>>
File: 1459356223121.jpg (26 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1459356223121.jpg
26 KB, 500x378
>>7970890
>Depression is great, it makes you work
>>
>>7970941
>>7972040
Depends on the person I guess, I remember being extremely depressed when I started college, but forcing myself to work got my mind off things so while I was concentrating on my studies my brain was too busy to think about self-hatred
>>
>>7970890
Kill yourself. No seriously, kill yourself.
>>
>>7970862
>Like being ugly, sick, poor, dumb, friendless, social phobic, without education/job...

Those are not rational reasons to be depressed. 3 of those things are ABSOLUTELY not in your control. Being depressed about something you cannot control is the defintion of irrational.

The rest of those things can be a great impetus to get your shit together and stop being depressed.
>>
The point about medical depression is exactly that you can't influence that you feel bad, you just feel bad. What you mentioned is being insecure and hyping oneself up on these insecurities which induces stress.
>>
What >>7970890 says makes sence if we consider that there are multiple kinds of depression and multiple reasons that lead to it. When younger, I found myself in a situation where everything turned out to be boring and I couldn't get enjoyment from anything so I started diving deeper in mathematics and went from a sad person with average grades to a mentally healthy man with good grades.
>>
>>7972276
This makes no sense.
No one is able to control how time flows yet many people get depressed when their parents die of age.
>>
>>7970862
Moron alot of different things can cause depression.

Such as heavy metals. Blood glucose levels. Hormones just to name a few. It's not about feeling sad.
>>
>>7972606
Mother fucker, I have never felt depressed listening to Black Sabbath.
>>
>>7972609
Lol I mean heavy metal poisoning, like lead.
>>
>>7970890

You're a fucking moron. Please end your life
>>
>>7970890
Feeling sad is not depression. When you are depressed you don't even want to get out of bed.
>>
>>7972625
tfw sometimes i just stand in the same spot staing into space because it feels better than trying to figure out what to do.

4chan is probably the best/worst website to browse for depression because you can just aimlessly read and post
>>
>>7972625
Can confirm, am in bed
>>
I get depression ( cyclothymia ). I don't really feel sad, I just feel fatigued as fuck. After a while bad mood follows as a result of being fatigued for extended periods of time. I finally got Methylphenidate from my doctor though and it's been going pretty great, kinda like how I used to feel before the onset.
>>
>>7970862
Depression is really in the eyes of the beholder, in this case: the relevant professional providing treatment. The DSM is fairly broad in defining depression, as well as other mood disorders.

A person who has poor circumstances or a bleak life, as described in the OP, would likely go to a psychologist or therapist for treatment. The act of confiding in someone, speaking, psychotherapy, etc. is enough to alleviate stress or make the patient comfortable and more optimistic. The mechanisms of which are often hypothesized pseudo/social-scientifically.

Then there are people with true, chronic, neurochemical depression. It's absolutely miserable by comparison. These patients could win the lottery and still feel hopeless and catatonic. This is where a psychiatrist provides a drug regimen which acts neurochemically, or provides treatment such as electro-convulsive therapy to alter the physiological state of the patient's brain and improve their mood.
>>
>>7970890
Depression literally causes the exact opposite of productivity
>>
Nootropics solved everything
>>
>>7970890
>Depression is great, it makes you work.

Man I don't know about this. I had to get back on SSRI's recently 'cause I could barely lift a cup of water up from being so depressed.
>>
>>7970893
i agree
depression is not an advantage
>>
File: 1393366643256.jpg (56 KB, 389x480) Image search: [Google]
1393366643256.jpg
56 KB, 389x480
Depression is a waste of time that ruined the first part of my life. Over time I decided to take steps to stop feeling shitty ever. It starts with a choice to do so.

>INB4 If you cured your depression without medication you didn't really have it in the first place
>>
>>7972268
Then you were not depressed you fucking moron. Good lord that defied literally every definition of depression out there.
>>
>>7973020
Yeah sorry, I forgot there was only one kind of depression and you have it. Can you teach me how to be depressed correctly so I can be hardcore like you ?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.