[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /sci/ hate him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 1240x775) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 1240x775
Why does /sci/ hate him?
>>
File: 1450826649764.png (34 KB, 637x362) Image search: [Google]
1450826649764.png
34 KB, 637x362
>>7969783
Because he's literally /r/eddit. Have you seen his twitter? Every post of his is pure cringe. All that terrible millennial pseudo-humor rustles my jimmies.
>>
>>7969783
reddit tier
popsci faggot
>>
File: Neil DeGrasse is a dick.jpg (325 KB, 731x1179) Image search: [Google]
Neil DeGrasse is a dick.jpg
325 KB, 731x1179
>>7969789
Even /r/eddit doesn't like him anymore.

https://np.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/4bwshx/why_are_people_so_mean_to_neil_degrasse_tyson_on/d1daa05?c
>>
>>7969783
He sells his political opinions as scientific facts. And he's popsci of course, so sci hates him by default.
>>
He's pretentious.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>7969783

We love him. GTFO!!
>>
Tried to watch an episode of the Cosmos reboot, because I wanted to see cool space shit. The first episode consists of him flying around on a cgi silver vibrator and an extended 2d animation about how evil Christianity is and how much they set back science.

The guy is a living meme, in the most literal sense. And he takes himself very seriously in spite of this.
>>
File: you can't make this shit up.jpg (176 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
you can't make this shit up.jpg
176 KB, 1920x1080
>>7969876
pic related
>>
>>7969876
>>7969880
Yes, this is a reboot of the original Cosmos, which also had a spaceship. I can see the need for this hypothetical ship existing to make concepts easier to understand, but I think it has a shit design and used way too much.

Nothing wrong with NDT. Cosmos is a popsci program, so that's not his fault. Nothing wrong with popsci anyway. Everyone should go watch The Inexplicable Universe and Netflix right now, because today is the last day it will be there. NDT can do some serious stuff while also being good at explaining concepts.
>>
>>7969812
Reddit hates him now ? Well I think I just found a new interest in the guy.
>>
he's an idiot

there's been two prominent examples of well-accredited men whom have discredited credentialism recently: tyson and ben carson

they're fucking morons
>>
>>7969907
And Dawkins
>>
>>7969915
Dawkins doesn't like to masturbate his ego to his followers and obnoxiously tweet about it.

He loves memes tho. For real.
>>
>>7969917
Yeah, but he constantly steps out his field of expertise.
>>
>>7969970
Go on...
>>
>>7969812
>Neil deGrasse Tyson walks into a bar. Everyone leaves. "EVERYONE?" he chuckles to himself. "7.4 billion humans couldn't fit in this space."
>>
>>7969971
He's a biologist that thinks he's an authority in theology and history.
>>
>>7970008
When did he say he's an authority in theology and history?
>>
I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>7970008
Or he just knows a lot about it?
>>
>>7970043
Just read the God Delusion, or watch any of his lectures.
>>
>>7970057
>he actually believes this
>>
>>7970048
I came here to post this.
>>
>>7969783
Maybe some anons in physics/academia related to physics can enlighten me...

What is the general stigma surrounding String Theory and String Theorists? Meme DeMeme Memeson absolutely shit on them in a talk I listened to. He said that they have nothing to show for their work whatsoever, and that thankfully all you need to do is give them a pencil and paper to keep them busy.

Are String Theorists not well-respected in academia?
>>
>>7970064
He gives his own opinion and why he thinks what he thinks, and is open to discussion, even if he may be slightly obnoxious with it

Not really the same as thinking he's an authority
>>
>>7970090
String theory isn't empirical at all desu, just maths that needs contrivances to even work
>>
>>7969983
I am liking this meme, when I imagine his smug asshole face saying that
>>
>>7969783
He is Black
>>
>>7970100
>slightly
Yeah, middle school was fun for me too.
>>
>>7970090
String theory isn't science because it doesn't make falsifiable predictions
>>
>>7970090
You can't test it with empirical evidence, or do anything practical with it.

People keep building this giant monster theory based purely on math in the hope that we can one day test if any of it is true, or useful for that matter.

People criticize Quantum Mechanics a lot too, but at least it produces useful results and technology.
>>
File: 1459470576664.jpg (33 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1459470576664.jpg
33 KB, 500x281
He's the embodiment of pop science.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.