[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /sci/ interested in books and shows about science fiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 2014-10-10 21.13.05.jpg (371 KB, 1280x740) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-10 21.13.05.jpg
371 KB, 1280x740
Is /sci/ interested in books and shows about science fiction? Realistic ones, say, with actual science
>>
>>7969349
yes.
Also, much of science fiction has basis in real science. Probably not the movies/books you've been subjected to. A lot of sci-fi books have realities that are theoretically possible, or totally possible just maybe not logical if said logic is to be applied to the world you and I live in.
Authors like Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke.
Ray Bradbury is a good author as well but many of his stories or closer to fantasy than sci fi.
>>
>>7969353
Thank you.

What about a book set in the very near future, with weaponry that's only just beyond our scientific grasp today?
>>
>>7969349
Ye like xdiles
>>
The Martian by Andy Weir. The book, not movie. The book has more science, with more comedy, compared to the movie. Over all great book, I recommend it.
>>
File: Daniel_suarez.jpg (16 KB, 490x387) Image search: [Google]
Daniel_suarez.jpg
16 KB, 490x387
Daemon / Darknet by Daniel Suarez
>>
If you're looking into hard sci-fi, you should definitely read anything by Greg Egan
>>
>>7969349

>realistic

>fiction

hmmm.....
>>
>>7969439
fiction means it's not a historical account or a biography or a textbook. Realism is what is is. The two are far from being mutually exclusive.
>>
>>7969353
Supporting anything by Clark, he was an actual scientist so that helps.
>>
File: WWIII.jpg (20 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
WWIII.jpg
20 KB, 227x300
>>7969470
I study science at university. I find it fascinating.
I'm always keen on cutting edge technology, and I have a lot of ideas.
I've put a lot of what I learn in science into this, and it took almost a year to finish. You can read the first 5,000 words, a synopsis and a bit about me if it catches your fancy.
Albert Einstein might know not with what weapons WWIII may be fought with, but I gave it my best shot.
If you nominate this on kindle scout and it succeeds, you get a free copy of the ebook, as 72,000 words of ficticious world war action.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/13B4CQVVAZ420
>>
This is pretty much the exact opposite of what you're asking for but I was in the same boat as you and I'm loving it. Read Greek mythology. I really don't mean that in a meme sense either. It's cool to think of it as sci-fi.
>>
>>7969484
Yeah. That's why listening to the alienguy from the documentals was entertaining too.

Unfortunately, it will always be just speculation.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.