[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the sun were scaled down to the size of a tennis ball, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
If the sun were scaled down to the size of a tennis ball, how hot would it be?
Could we hold it in our palm?

Note, scaled down to size, not "compressed" down to size.
>>
>>7968960
This makrs literally no sense.
>>
>>7968966
I think he's trying to say how hot would a tennis ball size piece of the sun be
>>
That doesn't make sense anon. You can't scale down atoms of hydrogen and helium.
Even if you could shrink it somehow why would that affect it's temperature?
>>
>>7968960
Think for a second, could you hold a piece of lava that size in your hand?
>>
>>7968960
This question is leaving out a lot of information that we need. For example, if the total luminosity of the sun is taken to be conserved during this scaling then the new temperature would be 823133633.298 Kelvins. If the luminosity does not remain the same but the peak wavelength does the temperature remains the same. It seems any way you try to do it the temperature increases rather than decreases (even in cases where it's not compressed) so the answer to your question "Could we hold it in our palm" is most certainly no.
>>
How are we going to define 'scale down' without compression? Do we just take a tennis ball size piece out of the sun or should we take a little piece of each layer and combine them?
>>
File: 1448728523515.jpg (85 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1448728523515.jpg
85 KB, 600x1067
>>7968960
it would be as hot as your mother
>>
>>7968960
The heat depends on the size of the star, because the mass of the star determines the force of gravity on it. the pressure due to gravity,with some other factors, creates the heat. To talk about the heat of the sun at different sizes, does the amount of mass in the star stay the same? if so it will cease to the star because it will ruin the balance between the force of gravity and the thermal pressure.
>>
Temperature is an intensive property so its temperature does not change.
>>
>>7968976
the only good answer
>>
>>7968978

A human large enough to hold the sun as if it were a tennis ball?
>>
A sun is just a scaled up planet, which is just scaled up dust and gas, so a sun scaled down to fit in your hand would be small puff of gas and a bit of dust
>>
>>7969125
>good answer
>calculating some bullshit temperature with an alleged accuracy of 12 valid digits
>Kelvins

Nope
>>
>>7968970
I could if I had a similarly sized piece of ice in the other hand
>>
>>7969128
The human turns into supernova
>>
>>7969196
>dust
Nah, Our sun at least is just Hydrogen and Helium
>>
>>7969322
No theres all sorts of shit in there, and there always was. Mostly hydrogen and helium sure, but it formed the same way every other body in the solar system formed, and out of the same stuff
>>
>>7969047
This
>>
>>7968960
A sun the size of a tennis ball would hot have sufficient mass to induce nuclear fusion. The hydrogen would just float to the ceiling at about room temperatur.
>>
>>7968960
I think what OP is saying is that if you took the scale of a tennis ball to the sun and divided the average temperature of the sun by that scale equivalent, how hot would the sun be?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.