[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/met/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_13[1].png (200 KB, 1024x774) Image search: [Google]
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_13[1].png
200 KB, 1024x774
>It's an April snow episode
Edition

>At least three cold waves coming through the
North and especially the Northeast.
First week of April will bring accumulating snow from clippers in the Great Lakes region and parts of New England, up to 6+ inches in some spots

>SEVERE WEATHER
Tonight through tomorrow with have severe weather in parts of the South Central including Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi, large hail and tornadoes possible
Latest SPC outlook - http://www.spc.noaa.gov/

>Current temp anomalies
http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=global&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2016033018&fh=0&xpos=0&ypos=216

>Current 500mb heights
http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=global&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2016033018&fh=0&xpos=0&ypos=441
Notice the snakey Jet Stream near Alaska

>Featured video
LARGE HAIL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T5rIU7CGdM
>>
>>7968920
Reminder that the americans predicted some freezing winter in europe and it did not happen.
>>
>>7968940
We can barely predict if rain will fall next week. Why anyone believes anything the NOAA, or US government, says is beyond me.
>>
>>7968920
what the fuck is a general
>>
>>7969005
A "general" thread to discuss the topic. In this case, /met/ means meterology.
>>
>>7968973
Some of us aren't reduced to just choosing more or less at random one side or the other to believe, with the only criterion being whichever gives us the best opportunity for incessant verbal masturbation.
>>
>>7969026
I look at their history of being wrong and base my judgments on that.
>>
No snow since 2011 over here in Spain-Madrid.
It was a pretty warm winter.

The lowest temp. happened in February.

Every year the average temp. is hotter than the last one.

How do we know if this change is man-made?
>>
>>7969497
>How do we know if this change is man-made?

It's happening way too fast.
>>
File: sphinx_snow.jpg (41 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
sphinx_snow.jpg
41 KB, 640x476
>>7968920
Tourists caught by surprise.
>>
OP back, reminder you can watch storm chasers on this site https://tvnweather.com/live
>>
>>7969497

If we stop with the carbon emissions, it will take 20-40 years before we notice a change. Probably 100+ years before we revert back to standard levels. https://www.co2.earth/
>>
File: day1probotlk_2000_torn[1].gif (26 KB, 815x555) Image search: [Google]
day1probotlk_2000_torn[1].gif
26 KB, 815x555
Tornado chances as of now through tonight
>>
>>7968920
Since when there's a /metg/ on /sci/?
Anyway. I am currently writing my bachelor thesis about cavitation. I plan to do plan to get better at simulations until my master. I've heard aerodynamics 1 and 2 and fluiddynamics.
What else would I need for metereology? Would you recommend it? Is it interesting, how are job prospects etc?
>>
File: gfs_asnow_eu_41[1].png (173 KB, 1024x757) Image search: [Google]
gfs_asnow_eu_41[1].png
173 KB, 1024x757
>>7969497

Also if you want snow, you can still go up to the mountains, northern Spain will get a some.
>>
>>7970357

Meteorology is an active field in my vision since weather is always happening, it's not ever boring.

Meteorology is mostly physics like hydrology and atmospheric chemistry. Computer science is also important since nearly all forecasting and modelling is done via computer. Most meteorologist are employed federally by the National Weather Service or whatever you country's meteorology bureau is. They usually get paid hefty. 50,000$ to 120,000$.
>>
>>7970398
Would you recommend doing my master in physics or a specialized meteorology major?
Is a phd required/recommended?
>>
>>7970357

I would also recommend climatology since the whole Global warming thing but both a really related. Hence the title Atmospheric Science.
>>
>>7970405

Many NWS facilities that I know require a Master's in Met to get hire. A couple though accept a just a Bachelors. BS in Physics is usually considered a prerequisite for a Master's in Met. My state only has one college offering Meteorology which is a Master's degree.
>>
>>7970428
Okay, thanks for your help
>>
I'm an apprentice forecaster in the military, do you have any tips/resources for forecasting on the eastern coast?
>>
Why does the GFS suck (compared to the Euro)?
Is it money?
>>
>>7970870

GFS is long range, Euro is short.
>>
>>7970855

July and August has the worst weather as far as storms. Beware Nor'easters in winter.
>>
>>7968920
I only replied because I'd like to say. Holy fug that large hail video. I never even knew that occurred, especially because all the hail I've seen in my life was literally half the size of my index finger's nail.
>>
File: gfs_T2m_eus_19[1].png (200 KB, 1024x786) Image search: [Google]
gfs_T2m_eus_19[1].png
200 KB, 1024x786
Seriously looking like a cold first 10 days of April for the Northeast.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.