[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/, I've been busting my ass with gen end courses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image_87.jpg (30 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image_87.jpg
30 KB, 600x400
Hey /sci/, I've been busting my ass with gen end courses and have about 3.7 but I'm about to start getting into the physics/Math courses making up the bulk of my engineering major.

This summer, I'm deciding on getting a tutor or two in order to help me set a strong foundation in order to really grasp and get a semantic understanding of the maths and physics needed.

I want to get to Calc 3 Levels and pretty high in physics.

Are there any subjects that you guys recommend for me to really focus on over summer for a MechE degree which may eventually evolve to Nuclear?

I'm currently just in my second semester.
>>
>>7968662
>Are there any subjects that you guys recommend for me to really focus on over summer for a degree which may eventually evolve to Nuclear?

How to flip burgers

>http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/for-the-first-time-most-americans-oppose-nuclear-energy-160326?news=858538
>>
>>7968673
I'll thank your shitpost for the bump.
>>
>>7968673
>shitposting
>about a combination that had produced excellent and famous engineers
>not seeing next time on Lonnie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonnie_Johnson_(inventor)
>>
just take calc over the summer at community college, if A, transfer it to real school if not, no one will know. I didn't really care for math until I took linear algebra, got me pretty hyped for some reason, also found kick ass professor so I took the rest of calc sequence and DE with her. It was all at a community college too. Now working on Economics PhD, glad I took them maths long ago.
>>
>>7968690

Better get an A though, nothing worse than sitting through another 4 weeks of curve sketching and max/min problems.
>>
>>7968690
I don't really care just to get a good grade in an easy course though. I really want to understand the concepts. It will do me no help in Calc 4 just because I did well in an easy Calc 1 class.
>>
>>7968705
I don't think you'll "truely" understand the concepts without much higher levels of study, but I think you might be satisfied with applications, because that shit is tangible. Don't expect rigor as undergrad, just get dem a's
>>
>>7968662
She'd look cute with a dick in her mouth.
I say don't bother trying to get a tutor. Learn all of your Caca-Lust by yourself and derive as much as you can as you move along. There's nothing worse than doing integrals and not having the basics down from derivation. It also helps drill in any missed algebra skills you thought you knew in and out.
Also devoid yourself of calculators. Even if it's just simple arithmetic.
>>
>>7968705
>I don't really care just to get a good grade in an easy course though. I really want to understand the concepts.
You know these aren't mutually exclusive?
>>
>>7970022
You'd be surprised
>>
>>7970022
that's not what I mean though. An A in Calc from an easy professor doesn't mean that I understand the material.
>>
Differential equations. That is the one area students tend to struggle the most. An occasional derivative, dot product or cross product will make 2D/3D vectors troublesome in theory courses, but most students lose it when it comes to defining and analyzing a system.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the math, because the engineering approach will forever make your understanding of math seem limited (AKA your engineering courses will be harder).
>>
>>7968662
>3.7
I had a 4.0 when I finished my Gen Ed. good luck becoming successful.
>>
>>7970327
A C in a hard class doesn't guarantee understanding (neither does an A honestly). Just study hard on your own and you'll learn plenty.
>>
>>7970354
Alright thank you for the quality reply. Would it be a good idea to get a tutor after I'm done with Calc 2 or 3? I learn much better whenever I do a one on one with someone.

>>7970439
I had a fucking history class that had tests that were all essay questions and the professor graded for grammar and would take away prints if you wrote in past tense or uses symbols like ampersands or anything. It was ridiculous. I was lucky to come away with a B. I also got a B in accounting.
>>
>>7970439

Justin Trudeau was a NEET dropuout and now rules Canada.

You got a 4.0 and don't possess have the creativity of an established manga artist. Who the fuck are you? I don't know who you are. Get the fuck out of here nigger.
>>
>>7968662
I wouldn't sweat things too much. You sound serious, so just work hard and you'll be fine.
>>
>>7968662
Once you take Numerical Methods you will pretty much never solve anything analytically ever again.

alot of the governing equations are approximations that we iteratively solve to some margin of error. Navier Stokes, Heat Diffusion Equation, all use a pretty handwavy taylor series expansion.

if you want to do yourself a favor in terms of math, learn how to program. if you can bust out algorithms for this or that kind of problem, you will be a power house in engineering school.

the physics you do in undergrad for Mech E (i don't know about nuclear) is literally a more involved extension of physics 1 and 2. having strong fundamentals in classical mechanics makes mechanics of materials and FEA easy peasy. if you suck ass at it, you are going to get dumpstered.
>>
>>7970439
>4.0 GPA
My son has an IQ of 165
>>
>>7971092
my wife's son has a better one
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.