[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STEM IS SEXIST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 11
File: 1419725249154.jpg (54 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1419725249154.jpg
54 KB, 960x640
>freshman pure math
>I counted from the first day, as I've heard the memes countless times, and it was literally 50% male, 50% female. It was almost amazing how there were exactly as many men as there were women.
>just 3 weeks have passed since the first day of the semester
>Since monday 2 girls suddenly disappeared but obviously I just assumed they were sick or something.
>Today our calculus professor tells us that both girls literally just dropped out
>One transferred to liberal arts, the other to business administration
>This is where the 'no womyn in STEM! Therefore STEM is sexist!' meme comes from
>Women literally can't handle it
>That is somehow our fault.

Oficially the mathematics department in my university is sexist, as there are now more men than women.

Anyone got similar experiences, regardless of what you are majoring in?

Maybe this is just a one time thing and STEM is actually sexist, who knows?
>>
>>7968593
I've talked to senior research scientists (females) about this and they all agree that sexism in STEM is pretty much BS. Can't you just dismiss it as just another popular culture phenomenon like everyone else?
>>
>>7968599
>like everyone else?

Yeah, like everyone else.

>except academia feminists
>except edgy 15 year old feminists
>except casual feminists
>except all the female STEM majors that are failing
>except the president of Canada, oficial pope of feminism
>except everyone from tumblr
>except SJWs
>except /soc/, home of the 4chan feminists and designated cucks
>etc.

Nice meme.
>>
>>7968593
>start pure math degree (honours program)
>60% female
>notice in first year that the women are never among the top students
>second year comes
>45% female
>remaining women ask the most inane and retarded questions in class
>prof always tries to encourage them and pretends their idiotic answers are "on the right track"
>literally only one guy dropped out, many women continue dropping
>no more guys dropped out after that
>class is 35% female at graduation

I really think they dropped out because of sexism.
>>
>>7968605
You know what I meant. And I didn't mean the feminists and SJWs who have already been brainwashed and are beyond the point of no return. I meant the actual people who work in STEM. From what I have seen and read online, the actual researchers, male or female, in STEM, consider this sexism bullshit as just that, bullshit. You are not a feminist or SJW, therefore I put you along with the STEM people, to whom I was referring with 'everyone else'.
>>
File: thats bait.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
thats bait.gif
3 MB, 300x252
Back to /pol/ or whatever /r/gamergate faggotry you crawled out of
>>
>>7968612
The actual people in STEM

>Microcucks
Instead of neutralizing their bot so that everyone can have fun, they just change its ideology from raging nazi to raging feminazi. You telling me that microcucks isn't feminist?

>Intel
2014: We will now lower standards for hiring women to combat sexism! (and no, they didn't get the irony with this).

>Blizzard
One little feminist cries and immediately they fucking back down and delete the pose that probably cost them hundreds, maybe thousands because they of course paid the animators, modelers and programmers that made the pose.

>etc.

But you know, it is just a coincidence that all these big companies are acting feminist right? No, it can't be that feminism is literally everywhere.

Nice meme.
>>
>>7968620
>Fact: When you sign up to university, you aren't dismissed simply for ticking the 'female' box in your submission

>Fact: Professors don't mark your test down if you are a woman

If there is no discrimination then explain to me why are women the ones getting murdered right and left?

If you are capable of giving a logical alternative theory that isn't total bullshit then I really will just move on.

What? Afraid of a debate? You wouldn't be the first feminist.
>>
>>7968623
I said in my first post I was referring to RESEARCHERS, not drones who are part of the popular culture and work in the industry. And I never said that the feminist movement does not affect things, I said that in real research, academia, it is largely dismissed by the researchers. One more time, that DOESN'T imply that social media cannot affect circumstances everywhere, but in academia, it is (mostly) irrelevant.
>>
>>7968628
I'm not even a feminist, this is just thinly-veiled genderbaiting

>>>/r9k/
>>
File: STEM&Feminism.jpg (138 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
STEM&Feminism.jpg
138 KB, 1024x1024
>>7968593
>>
I'm taking computer science in Canada and the gender mix is pretty even. Still weighted on the male side of things but not as bad as I was lead to believe. And a lot of the women perform extremely well in the classes. As other have said in the thread, I've only encountered the whole "sexism in stem" thing on the internet. Occasionally there is a 'women in computing' seminar but that's the extent of drawing attention to the divide.
>>
Applying for REU programs as a guy sucks ass.
>>
>>7968620
go back to r/feminism, tumblr, gawker
>>
>>7968593
physics classes have about 2-3 females to 15-20 males, and think they are hot shit because they are the only females in class even th ough they are ugly as fuck and the males are all fedora tippers

organic chemistry class, 70 people, 39 females, dropped down to 4 females in one month

upper level maths, 8 females, dropped down to 1 after 2 weeks

thermodynamics, 8 females 11 guys, dropped down to 2 females in 2 weeks

the lab i work in, 13 females and 2 men (including myself) -_- all super sluts, i just stare at their tits that are pretty much 1cm from falling out of their tops and their thongs showing in their yoga pants... professor also stares constantly and seems to be ok with me seeing and doing it too. pretty sure he only added them to his lab because of that.
>>
>>7969112
Strange for my ochem class it was mostly guys who dropped out.

Not gonna lie for a guy who appears to be trying to say sexism doesn't exist in the sciences your entire last paragraph was objectively sexist.
>>
>>7969115
i didnt say sexism doesnt exist,
it just always strikes me as funny when these females in the lab can barely do anything at all and they just sell themselves for those positions
the professor entertains it and still lets them stick around even though they are useless
and of course im going to look at eye candy? i didnt hire them, i got hired with them... he has me pickup their slack most of the time -_-
i do all the biophysics and statistics in the lab because none of the females can be bothered to even read anything, they just do dilutions and autoclave shit and still fuck that up
>>
>>7969115
as for other drop outs, immunology was about 50/50 and only 1 of the females dropped out and a dozen guys did, so that is something?
>>
>>7969117
Well then carry on. Enjoy the free show, god knows I would do the same if actually hot guys worked in my lab.
>>
>>7969120
It's probably a bunch of complex hard to measure factors that could only be determined by a group of sociologists with way too much time and even then only for very specific classes.
>>
>>7968599
>tfw my country positively discriminates demales in STEM effectively giving them a leg up

Sure I'll just dismiss this and bury my head in the sand
>>
>>7969122
mirobiology/pathology lab, female dominated area
each of the labs hire a few guys to do most of the real work while they affirmative action females into spots they shouldnt be in, i suppose I should say titleIX in this instance
>>
>>7969139
Ugh I feel that shit. Where I'm at though the chicks are actually pretty competent and it seems the guys are kinda the fuck ups. I just kinda do what I do.
>>
>>7969143
all the competent females get absorbed really fast into biochemistry, immunology, and aquatics/fisheries (were actually a pretty big deal for aquatics for some reason). The left overs get pitty-picked up by the department/my professor and shuffled into his lab. The only real benefit here is that he writes glowing recommendations for us two guys and the other professors write them for us for not raising shit about what we do. Got me into a nice biotechnology graduate program.
>>
>>7969151
Nice man, yeah I'm working in the biochemistry lab which would explain it. Love my department, the bio department here is too large and sprawling to get good relationships with professors.
>>
>>7968633

you never said any of that...
>>
>>7968593
Nobody gives a shit OP, go back to /v/ with your SJW/Feminist witch hunt.
>>
>>7968593
Yes, in undergrad women have a higher dropout rate. The female phd students and researchers I know are not different from male ones.
>>
>no sane person can even think for 1 second women have the same capacity as men. we are faster, stronger and more intelligent. not that women couldn't, but due to the evolutionary trait of the fittest survive and women being the one who get to choose who ends up inside them, the filter on male evolution has been much harsher. women are simply inferior due to the nature of natural selection.
>>
>>7969408
>Fucking genetics, how do they work ?
>>
>>7969415
>implying traits from superior male parent will be as beneficial to daughter as to son
>>
>>7969419
>implying dominant traits from "inferior" mother won't be as useless in a male than in a female.
Two can play this game.
>>
File: 1459327520618.jpg (74 KB, 423x531) Image search: [Google]
1459327520618.jpg
74 KB, 423x531
>>7969408
Your shit would seem more plausible if you even knew how/why to greentext, you mong.
>>
>>7968593
I saw the same thing in A level physics, every single girl dropped out by A2. Nobody was horrible to them or anything. I really can't see how STEM is sexist for I am black and I experience zero racism and we all know everyone hates blacks more than women. STEM isn't like finance or law, everyone is too wrapped up in their own worlds, no-one is socially aggressive. All the racist and sexist spergs on /sci/ they are the ones hiding at the back of the lecture hall making eye contact with no-one. Women and minorities just aren't that interested in STEM.
>>
>>7969443
I've got a banging girlfriend, good connections and 3.9 GPA dirty nigger.
>>
File: 1459425743901.jpg (85 KB, 423x531) Image search: [Google]
1459425743901.jpg
85 KB, 423x531
>>7969434
>>
>>7969443
>Women and minorities just aren't that interested in STEM.
In my country (Southeast EU) about half of engineering graduates are women. A lot of Asian countries also have a lot of women engineers, computer scientists etc. So I think you have to correct your statement into "Women and minorities seem to not be that interested in STEM in my country/West EU/US."
>>
>>7969532
But anon. Women tend to avoid Physics in every country.
I don't know why, but they prefer Chemistry.
>>
>>7969532
You should really look at the data of comfy 1st world countries such as Norway otlr Finland. In places without too much economic struggle, women tend to not go for those jobs and that is perfectly fine.
>>
File: bait_of_amigara_fault.jpg (67 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
bait_of_amigara_fault.jpg
67 KB, 500x491
>>7968620
>>
>>7969538
This is partly true. There are something like 25% Physics female grads in my country. It's kind of weird because they can be plentiful in engineering, even more than the men, but for some reason they do not favor pure physics especially. Well, I mean they aren't 1:1 with males like in many other disciplines. Maybe it's just my imagination though.
>>
>>7969542
Interesting that you say that, although I would attribute the difference to the cultural difference between our females.

When I first went to the UK and met the 'western' females, they were completely different desu. Our females are much more straightforward and don't have this view of 'nerds' like in western countries. In addition, noone dares question their skills when they do their degrees. They also pretty much ridicule the western gender studies and sociology degrees and the feminism they come with, and the smart women can not only flock to STEM, but history and philosophy too. Not saying there aren't dumb women, but for some reason, the females in my country seem to be much more independent and cultured than western women. Don't even know why desu.

Maybe if countries in South EU developed the situation would change, but I'm not convinced.
>>
>>7969518
Everything you have, i have double of it.
>>
>>7969558
>muh dick
>>
There are 2 female grad students in our math department who are serious business
That may sound bad, but so far there haven't been any male students I've met, grad or undergrad, who know what they're doing as much as I think I know what I'm doing
>>
More often than men, Women tend to flock to normie degrees because they are more likely to have sheeple personalities.

This doesn't mean they are dumber, but in most countries it is "cool" to party a lot during university and its impossible to be successful in a STEM degree and party 24/7 with normies.

This is why we see them start in the STEM meme degree then switch when they follow the majority and party/not study.

Also explains why the ones who do stay are just as competent as men.
>>
>>7968911
As fedora as the name "AntiFemComics" is, this sums it up pretty well.
>>
There are fewer women at the end of the IQ distribution needed for pure mathematics or theoretical physics. This is why you see more women as you go into less demanding fields like biology, chemistry, or computer science.
>>
My final year EE class is 3 womyn, 2 WHITE MALEs. En't no problem from my POV, mojito
>>
>>7968593
> Mechanical Engineering from a well known school
>only 12 girls in my class of 400
>12 girls had 3.5+ GPAS

one of them blew a TA but the other girls were genuinely hard workers. STEM isnt sexist and I work with female engineers who are just as good as males
>>
>>7968593
>Today our calculus professor tells us that both girls literally just dropped out
I'll take shit that never happened for 500 Alex

Profs don't announce when specific people drop the class you /pol/tard
>>
>Selected Junior year for honors thesis program
>20 students selected, 15 female
>Senior year comes
>7 students left
>4 male
Any stats fags want to give me the chances of that

Also, a funny thing happened at a seminar I went to. It was a "meet an astronaut" thing, with some woman who went to space that was supposed to give a talk. The flyer didn't mention anything about women or feminism specifically. However, when I showed up, it turned out that the school's sjw-whatever bullshit organization had intentionally invited a whole panel of women engineers and physicists as well as the astronaut woman, and actually intended to make it a discussion about sexism in STEM but didn't even inform any of the invitees this. The host kept asking them questions about how their gender held them back and trying to bait responses, but none of them had ever experienced any sexism at all. The panel unanimously agreed that women in academia always warned them about the sexism they would face, but it never materialized. By the end it was a pretty cringeworthy show, as they were all getting uncomfortable and just wanted to talk about science.
>>
>>7968593
That's not what "sexist" means.
>>
>>7969713
Crying "FEDORIA!" doesn't invalidate it. There's nothing stopping feminists from going into STEM except their own laziness.
>>
>>7968593
Reality is sexist.
>>
It may be a cultural thing. I have this image that american women are dumb as fuck and they probably are. Here in my uni I've met some pretty awesome girls, three of them were the first of their courses(EE and math), also pretty qt. But yeah they are the exception, the type of girls that talk about math problems when eating.
>>
>>7971012
He said the name sounds fedora. He agreed with the comic.

>this sums it up pretty well
>>
>>7968593
They're mad because it's NOT sexist. Sexism would give special rights and privilege to womyn so they don't have to endure the same level of education as men. But they can't, because they are treated equally.
>>
>>7968647
>thinly-veiled genderbaiting
>says the one who's pushing the imaginary stem sexism narrative
>>
>>7968593
When you start working you will also realize that most female STEM graduates can't do their job at all and just sit at their desk waiting to be spoonfed.

That's where all this "teamwork" and "diversity" stuff comes, it essentially allows everyone to take credit from all the work done by young white males and then demand advancement and salaries above them. Once a women is in a management position she gets a white male underling to do her job and then take the credit.

And then they bitch about being oppressed in the media.
>>
>>7971773
Spooky.
>>
>>7968647
The word "sexism" itself is genderbaiting.
>>
>>7971773
>When you start working you will also realize

Kek.
If you'd worked at least once in your life, you would know why your post is complete and utter bullshit.

Your post reeks of /r9k/ and /pol/. Piss off and go there where you will be taken more seriously.
>>
>>7969713
Fedoras are self-righteous whiteknigh manginas, not anti-feminists.
>>
>>7971791
> sjwtard is trying to form an opinion about what scientists should take seriously
kek.
>>
>>7971793
>sjwtard

Thanks for outing yourself. No, the big boys won't validate your opinions today either, no matter how much you try to bundle yourself with them. Now go back to your hugbox and stay there.
>>
>>7971793

You unironically use buzzwords, quote first-hand anecdotes as major evidence and straw man for convenience.

Don't delude yourself.
>>
>>7971795
> I speak on behalf of /sci/ because we are all manginas here.
> whoever calls me a sjwtard needs to go away.

Ssshhh no tears now sjwtard. We or no other scientific community will accept you.
>>
>>7971798
> i can use buzzwords but you can't
> dont delude yourself lol
The irony is strong in this one. I'm sorry that science isn't about bitching or riding dildos or prioritizing your feelings. This board isn't a feminist club, it's for science and it will remain so no matter how hard you cry.
>>
>>7969736
Testosterone effects on the brain 15+ is where the disparity is most noticeable.

There are less women in the 110-115 high-average range, but there are still a reasonable amount.

When you reach 120 +, though, women are very scarce.
>>
>>7971805
I wasn't using buzzwords.

I'm not>>7971795
>>
>>7971808
Women can't do as well as men, which is definitive proof that STEM is sexist. End of story.
You can go back to /r9k/ and /pol/ if you have personal opinions about this objective fact, because /sci/ belongs to us now.
>>
>>7971805
More personal insults from the alpha.
>>
>>7971810
> calls people by board names as a form of rebuttal
> i'm not using buzzwords
mmhmm
>>
>>7971811
>because /sci/ belongs to us now.

hahahah, oh man.

Nope, still, nobody is going to start taking you seriously. You're still the laughing stock of /sci/.
>>
>>7971812
You wouldn't be crying if you did just as well as males in STEM. But you couldn't. I'm just asking you to keep your butthurt to yourself because this board isn't your personal feminazi blog.
>>
>>7971814
No we're not. We are feminists and we're strong. Here us roar. I can see you're scared already and drowning in your autistic testosterone. Now go back to your patriarchical hugbox and leave.
>>
>>7971813
>calls people by board names as a form of rebuttal

I was unsure if you assumed I was quoted poster.
>>
>>7971811
Can't tell if sarcasm or not, but I do think it's interesting that there's a ton of research on male and female brains that suggest markedly different distributions and amounts of white and grey matter, which fairly accurately accounts for differences in thinking process and iq distributions and this "science" board seems to pretty consistently want to ignore it.

It seems that everyone screams "back to /pol/" but the reality is there are indeed differences and that doesn't mean that one is better than the other, but it does mean there are explanations for some things that aren't systemic or because of some vast conspiracy to keep a race or sex down to benefit another.
>>
>>7971815
I'm not a female.

Nor is it your stomping ground to unironically use the most retarded examples of Internet psychmajor logic to insult your responses.

>feminazi

Your boogeyman won't help you.
>>
Am I the only one that thinks the lack of women in STEM is more personality based and not intelligence based?

If you're in a STEM major you often have to forego social activities and go against the norm to study and succeed. I feel that women are more likely to "follow the leader" than men.

Even though Im not a huge fan of the polar categorization of personality types, the MBTI test also supports this with more men having "loner" personality types.
>>
File: 1313684588753.jpg (15 KB, 374x250) Image search: [Google]
1313684588753.jpg
15 KB, 374x250
>>7971831
>Oliver James
>>
>>7971831
> I'll just evade his point and keep shitposting.
Typical feminazi crybaby. Keep whining about sexism rather than studying please. And we'll keep graduating male STEM majors while you end up being and unemployed pathetic crackwhore :^)
>>
>>7971888
You were meming this whole time, weren't you?
>>
>>7971910
You were the one who said males getting into more STEM branches than females is somehow sexist. I'm just pointing out that crying about it won't change it. And you will end up a desperate crack whore if you keep whining.
>>
>>7968599
>I've talked to females
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
[math] faggot [/math]
>>
I honestly just hate feminists for making this into a meme.

I've met plenty of women in many many fields and professions, and I have had female professors. It's not some damn unicorn, and it's completely sexist to suggest women aren't in these fields.

I never ran into this bullshit and thank god for it, it is so far exclusively an internet meme to me
>>
STEM in itself has nothing to do with this, it's comes from early layers of education and parenting.
In the western countries, that is.

Even recent generations of parents are just "doing it wrong" when it comes to raising a girl. Let's see the list, shall we ?

>Parenting interaction
Interactions parent : child are more likely to be intense caring of a girl crying than a boy, it's still the case today. It doesn't diminish much with years (up until the age of 7-8) but it shapes most girls into knowing that if they whine, someone will care. It's way less pronounced with small boys who will understand, basically .. "better fix my own shit since i'm on my own". I exaggerate the traits here, don't mention it.

>World interaction
Ahh, the toys .. in the early 80's and way before, every gender had its own little box to play with. You're a boy ? You make WAR ! You're a girl ? You make BABIES !
It's less bs now but still, just have a look, around christmas, kids toys' ads on TV. It's less obvious but ..
Now, you can be the good parent offering interactive, complicated toys like lego and whatnot .. but for a girl, in order to be accepted in school by the lesser common idiot, she will still need that "purple whore who doesn't need to try in life as long as she has friends and gossip" doll.
I thought this would change with a lot of girls getting into videogames and it had its effect, yet the purple whore came out also as videogame and it is still relevant, sadly.

>career interest
Now that you have a basic model of "no need to try that hard", "i have zero interest in complicated things", "my brain received like zero stimuli for the past 16 years" grown up girl .. well she wants to prove the world that she can do anything, right ? Just like in the last season of purple whore bluray.
Well, she will suck at it because she's not the fat nerd like her brother who made a replica of the death star with lego when he was 9.

That's about it. Simplified, but accurate.
>>
>>7968605

I'm a stellar female physics student and I also double major in feminist theory and it's pretty obvious there are issues here.
>>
So you met a female scientist so there's no sexism in STEM? It's like saying that you've met an English person who is a criminal so all English people are criminals.
There is literally a ton of actual credible female scientists who are calling out STEM sexism. STEM sexism isn't about how many women per se are in STEM but about how easy it is for them to make their way in STEM in comparison with men and whether they face discrimination.
This shit starts from as early as grade school. I've had teachers who openly bullied girls and convinced them they can't be good at math when this was clearly not true. I have a friend who was literally led to mental breakdowns due to a teacher of hers who convinced her she wouldnt ever be able to become a doctor.
Wasn't it last year that this scientist said women are biologically incapable of being good scientists only to get debunked by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ann Druyan? Well, stuff like that exist, and for as long as they do, you can't say there's no sexism in science.
At the end of the day, why does it bother you so much that women want to not be discriminated in STEM? It isn't like they're trying to take your place. It's just that they want to do the job they love the way they want to.
>>
>>7973241
Do you have any proof for sexism in STEM or are you just shitposting in the name of shitposting ?
>>
>>7973241
And yet because you have 2 examples of shitty teachers trying to drive out females from science studies, you assume it's the same everywhere.
If a STEM study is available but females applying for it drop like flies in an electric net, it's not out of bullying but because they sometimes really suck at it. Reasons ? Lack of interest, actual difficulty, no real dedicated time to said studies. Even guys who aren't really "fit" for that field just try twice harder for career interest reasons.

I've met plenty of young girls in science studies, a friend of mine is teaching adv math & chemistry at my town's university .. guess the fuck what : the nerdy girls who can't give much of a shit of social interactions are rock solid while the ordinary / partying idiots who think "believing is becoming" with zero discipline are just a fucking pain in the ass who will go nowhere.
The nerds, male or female, are roughly battling at the top, the rest of the girls, minus 1 or 2 exceptions are just at the bottom. On the end of the semester, if 3 guys have left, 12 girls are gone too.

Fun part is .. oh, wait, no it's not fucking fun at all .. girls leaving end up going in anything social or communication. Then they fucking dare to make campaigns about more girls in mostly men ridden fields.
Well guess what, fucking do it yourself.
>>
>>7969092
>And a lot of the women perform extremely well in the classes.

They get help from all the beta males so its no surprise that women outperform men in exams. I can't believe people haven't noticed this...
>>
>>7973287
Yes I know many female science students myself, mainly because I am one. This doesn't mean there isn't sexism in STEM.
I don't think you are open to change your mind about the issue so the discussion doesn't seem likely to be fruitful but regardless, here are some sources.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/black-latina-stem_n_7514612.html
http://www.zmescience.com/science/news-science/sexism-racism-stem-0423432/
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~srugheimer/Women_in_STEM_Resources.html
http://youtu.be/6EkuXfsWmMo
>>
>>7968593
The most hilarious thing about the "STEM is sexist" meme is that it's always women's studies majors who spout that their needs to be more women in STEM

I always ask such people why if STEM was in such dire need of women then why didn't they major in it
The look of absolute bewilderment on their faces is priceless
>>
>>7973309
>Huffington Post
>next are studies conducted by social "scientists" projecting made up Marxist ideologies

Troll
>>
>>7973314

I went to high school with my now girlfriend and we had freshman math together. Now she's bright but she learns best by asking questions, and all year long whenever she'd ask a question there were boys in the room who went "ughhh" (but never did if another boy asked a question) and the teacher basically said "I don't have time for this figure it out yourself dummy" (but he would answer questions boys asked him). Now she's a gender studies major and I'm a physics major and looking back it's kind of obvious why she didn't feel welcome in her math classes.
>>
>>7973309
>This doesn't mean there isn't sexism in STEM.

There isn't. Not in the way you're implying. For crying out loud, just stop.

You are not being held back because you have a vagina. Any failures you've experienced are personal.
>>
>>7973964
No, she's honestly a waste of space. She's in a shit field. If she didn't feel welcome in STEM, then she should've gone for a good humanity like history, pol sci, law, etc.
>>
>>7969092
In my intro to CS classes there were more women than men. In my senior level courses there were maybe 1 or 2 out of 20.

I liked the women that were in those classes though. They took their studies seriously (they had to in order to get that far in the degree (inb4 computer science is easy)) and never played the pussy pass.
>>
File: costanza.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>7969115
>sexism
>objectivity
>>
>>7970546
Social justice is the ultimate sexism in this case, reducing this women's accomplishments to mere gender conflict. Truly despicable.
>>
>>7974006

She doubles in poli sci (which isn't a science).
>>
>>7971733
In the US women face pressure from many directions to conform to many societal ideals. Much of this pressure comes from other women, some of it comes from men. The fact that women value social relations more than men means that women are more likely to become the mean of many different social circles, where as man is more likely to focus on a few or even one community to excel in. The consequence of this for men is increased suicide and depression, because when they have only one social group to attach too, the rejection from that social group places them in a social abyss that is often unbearable.

These are generalizations with many exceptions, and much of this behavior is learned, but it is ridiculous to presume that men and women have inherently equal circumstances.
>>
>>7974042
Yeah, I know. But it'll definitely get you a job.
>>
>>7974046

If your qualifications for a "good" "humanity" major is the job market then how does history qualify?
>>
>>7974051
History is a valuable field in that it contributes to society, but admittedly bad for getting a job.
>>
>>7973241
You're damaging your own cause by being so illogical.
The facts are this:
More women than men are accepted as undergraduates in the US
An accepted undergraduate is free to choose their major and classes at will
Advancement through a degree in science or mathematics is based on performance in examinations of mathematical or scientific ability, and each student is tested with the same examination. If you think that this is not an objective measure of mathematical or scientific ability or that these examinations can be discriminatory in anyway, there is no hope for you as a rational being
Women are much more likely to complete undergraduate degrees than men in the US
Women earn more graduate degrees than men in the US

This is the academic pipeline. This is not sexist against women. I am not going to provide sources, but implore you to find any credible sources that disprove any of these claims
>>
>>7974054

You should read some critical theorists m8
>>
>>7973241
>This shit starts from as early as grade school. I've had teachers who openly bullied girls and convinced them they can't be good at math when this was clearly not true. I have a friend who was literally led to mental breakdowns due to a teacher of hers who convinced her she wouldnt ever be able to become a doctor.
>Wasn't it last year that this scientist said women are biologically incapable of being good scientists only to get debunked by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ann Druyan? Well, stuff like that exist, and for as long as they do, you can't say there's no sexism in science.

>argues against the use of anecdotes
>uses 2 anecdotes
Women amirite
>>
>>7973964
This is a legitimate concern, but teachers are often strapped for time during lectures and are often twiddling their thumbs during office hours.

It's rude to ask questions with obvious answers during class, it is a waste of time.
>>
>>7973241
TWO NEW LINES BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS IS ALL IT WOULD TAKE FOR THIS TO BE A DECENT POST
>>
>>7973964
>Learning by asking question
Everyone is like this, but if you have a lecture with 120 people you cannot stop the teacher for every single stupid detail and feel entitled for an answer.
>>
>>7973241
>At the end of the day, why does it bother you so much that women want to not be discriminated in STEM?

Literally no reasonable person is bothered by women not wanting to be in STEM. People are bothered that you think you are right when your line of reasoning is dysfunctional, increasingly dangerous and lacking in self-awareness.
>>
>>7974073
>>7974082

You missed the part where boys were largely allowed to ask questions. That teacher was really arbitrarily shitty to her, and he was shitty to some of the other girls in the class too and nobody even thought twice about it.
>>
>>7974085
And do you know what kind of questions the boys were asking, compared to hers?
>>
>>7974085
Seems either a specific case with no general relavance (like every post you write) or she is lying and being a cunt. I know teachers who shut down people and it is mostly due to them asking irrelevent or stupid questions all the time, even those who are straigh As students get this treatment.
>>
>>7974092

Conceptual questions, asking for clarification, you know, the general class of questions you would ask a teacher during a math lecture.
>>
>>7974085
Yeah, I think this is probably sexist then. But this professor doesn't need to be crucified on the quad, your girlfriend probably just needed to address this concern of hers with him, and failing an appropriate response by him, taking the concern up the bureaucracy. At my university, there was a small squadron of university workers who sat at desks all day waiting for even the smallest accusation of discrimination to come to them, at which point in time they would deliver justice with extreme prejudice to the fullest extent of the university's policies.

I am not saying what that professor did was right, I am saying that it is unfortunate what happened to your girlfriend and that as an adult she needs to be responsible for her own advocacy. I also doubt that the professor would protest or continue acting in such a way if his actions were framed as a sexist discrimination.
>>
>>7974095

>your girlfriend is a lying cunt telling you about her negative experience in a class you were in with her
>but sexism totally doesn't exist in STEM I swear
>>
>>7974101
If that is sexism then women deserve to be enslaved by the patriarchy for being incapable of doing anything of consequence.
>>
>>7974097

She was 14 when this happened, it was in 9th grade. Also our school district was controlled by Mormons and Evangelicals so it's not like you could just bring an issue like that up to the administrators and get any help for it whatsoever.
>>
>>7974105
Oh I thought this was at uni. I fully agree with you that she was discriminated against on the basis of sex.
>>
>>7974105
>school district controlled by Mormons
>non-average district
>trying to use this anecdote to argue against the rest of America

Maybe you also should've asked more questions in class.
>>
>>7974105
>>7974107
On the same token, I think that this discrimination is not commonplace but let's say not rare. I think that since more women than men get into university that much of the sexism in STEM comes from women not choosing to pursue STEM.

Also, I would say boys face much worse adversity during high school, but it's not seen as "discrimination" but rather "bullying" or "tough luck".
>>
>>7974108

Our school district was in Southern California and was majority Chicano students. If you think school districts aren't disproportionately run by affluent conservative white people then you really haven't been looking.
>>
>>7974107
proof ?
>>
>>7974101
>I can't read
Bitch, I said she was lying about how the bad experience you mororn. Everyone gets shut down by proffs if you manage to say irrelevant and stupid shit all day. And no it is not the your proffesro's job to carry you all the time, but to engage in a discussion about the topic.
>>
>>7974105
>We are discussing STEM
>Gives an example of a middle school runned by religious nuts
Holy fuck americans, you can't form a proper argument?
>>
>>7974117

Women in America are turned away from pursuing STEM as an academic/career discipline by systemic forces at all levels along the way, including primary school.
>>
>>7974118
Again, your stupid story isn't proof. Also, almost everyone is turned away since liking math in highschool is concidered only for le nerds.
>>
>>7974118
>gives another baseless assertion
>his proof is his stupid district
>>
>>7974114
I'm assuming the post was entirely factual.
>>
>>7974112
Wow that is so weird since throughout the entirety of the history of the United States the majority of its citizens have been of European decent and most of its historical events have been seen to completion by its aristocracy.
>>
>>7974118
This statement is meaningless since men in America are also turned away from pursuing STEM as an academic/career discipline by systemic forces.
>>
File: john-marshall.jpg (606 KB, 1059x1312) Image search: [Google]
john-marshall.jpg
606 KB, 1059x1312
>>7974199
The godliest thing about US law is that it is literal, i.e., as long as women literally have the opportunity to attend class without disruption and there is literally nothing preventing this from happening, SJW will be circle jerking

pic related

IF ANYTHING, it is SJW who are performing discrimination under US law, take the following as a non-exhaustive example that cannot be generalized (it is a sign of the banal state of American discourse that these qualifications are necessary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8

I never appreciated conservatism until social justice became the predominant form of political progression in the eyes of many of my fellow countrymen (shitlording intentional).
>>
>>7974208
As long as women are more likely to be admitted into college, are more likely to graduate, are more likely to pursue and complete graduate education, any reasonable person who takes this absurd notion that academia is sexist has simply been deluded by an ephemeral mass movement lead the worst, full of passionate intensity.
>>
>>7974208
>Why are you filming this?
>For everyone's safety
10/10
>>
File: 1456737277200.png (116 KB, 294x256) Image search: [Google]
1456737277200.png
116 KB, 294x256
>>7969405
Nigger, if anyone is going to grad school, chances are they are pretty bright.

>>7969443
>All the racist and sexist spergs on /sci/ they are the ones hiding at the back of the lecture hall making eye contact with no-one.

iktfb
>>
>>7970330
Not OP, but the professors always ask that question at my uni if someone is out for long and has not contacted them

>inb4 "must be a shit uni"
>>
>>7974256
The bad unis are the ones where the professors are too busy and jaded to note when one of their students stops attending.
>>
>>7974268
I read that Harvard was extremely bad for total disinterest in the students a few decades ago. I think it was a guy on physicsforums in the "So you want to be a mathematician" thread who mentioned it.

As a side note, I was a nervous wreck prior to college from growing up in an abusive home. At college I met for the first time in my life adults who took me seriously and encouraged me; some of the nicest people I've ever met and they more or less changed my entire life.

I'm even starting a masters in Mathematical Physics next year and planning to do research afterwards. Student support and interest goes an extremely long way.
>>
>>7974307
>As a side note, I was a nervous wreck prior to college from growing up in an abusive home. At college I met for the first time in my life adults who took me seriously and encouraged me; some of the nicest people I've ever met and they more or less changed my entire life.
I'm hoping this is what my experience is like.
>>
>>7970330
This. I don't know who OP thought he was fooling. No need to make up anecdotes about women in STEM when there are already so much stats.
>>
>>7968593
mammal males stronger than females,
> nature sexist, down with, it start wirth yourselfe meight
>>
>>7974387
*80s
>>
>>7968593
>started engineering, basic classes
>had five girls when we started
>second semester there was one left, passing with Cs
>>
>>7974394
All mammals changed after 80s ?
>>
>>7971741
To be fair, having a vagina in STEM is extremely beneficial thanks to affirmative action.
>>
>>7973964
>things that never happened
>>
>>7970546
Using probability, ((15 choose 12) * (5 choose 1)) / (20 choose 13) gives roughly 3 percent.

If someone has a better way though, I'd love to see it.
>>
>>7974307
I had some professors who had good faith in me and they inspired me to take my studies seriously and finish my degree.

>>7974320
You're going to have a lot of professors and many of them will be too preoccupied to care about you, but if you take your studies seriously and show some promise there should be a professor that takes a liking to you. Developing a strong relationship with them will be an invaluable asset in higher education.
>>
>>7974256
must be a shit uni
>>
>>7973149
got skype? ;)
>>
>>7968605

everyone else that matters anon
>>
>>7971773

I don't know about all of STEM but the shitty females in engineering get weeded out in the first couple years, if a female survives till the third year she is competent enough to become a decent engineer.
Now whether she'll have the work ethic to remain decently competent throughout her work life is another matter entirely, I honestly think in most cases its better for everyone if female engineers get MBAs and work as middle management in engineering teams instead of doing the engineering jobs proper, only the really autistic female engineers can keep up with the ridiculous work ethic necessary to be a decent engineer, if lots of dudes can't manage it and bail to finance and other easier areas I imagine it would be far harder for most females considering how their brains are wired differently and all.
>>
>>7968593

Most women are dumb and averse to all forms of hard work.
>>
>>7976878
Shut up faggot. We don't like your kind round here.
>>
>>7973149
tit?
>>
>>7976883
Around a Chinese fencing symposium? You are not /sci/.
>>
>>7976887
Yes he is, piss off back to /r9k/ faggot
>>
>>7976928
>getting offended in a shitposting thread
>>
>>7968620
>if you criticize mainstream feminism you are sexist
how did so many people get to the point where they unironically believe this
>>
>>7971827
>>7971831
>>7973106
it's a mixture of different effects. Tests with apes actually showed a gender specific difference without prior parenting. Males seemed to be far more interested in technical things and less interested in puppets. Maybe this is just a result of women mostly being the ones to care for the children.

I think the "loner" personality may have one of the biggest impact thought because the time you're spending sitting home alone and thinking about things shapes your brain completely different than going out and never force yourself to solve a problem with thinking. Most social conversation tends to be what you referred to as zero stimuli. Same reason why learning in groups simply doesn't work that well. Someone else just can't think for you. My experience shows women tend to be a lot more social / have less tendency to be a loner which would be an advantage in these cases (though there are females with this personality too)
>>
Do women face more risk of sexual harassment in STEM than other fields? My gf says yes
>>
>>7979731
>current year
>having a feminist gf

fucking cuck
>>
>>7979731
Every female faces more risk of sexual harassment because it is a gender skewed offense so it is retarded to say statements like that.

Also, the risk women have in college campuses is much more lower than in the street.
>>
>>7979757
What do you mean by that? How is it retarded to speak against sexual harassment in STEM fields.

I personally think it's overblown but i just want to know
>>
>>7979762
No, but to say statements such as "women face a greater risk of sexual harassment in STEM" gives a hyperbole of the situation considering that in every place were Sexual harassment happens it's almost always towards women. I'm against the specific articulation of issues that gives a retarded impression of a well known problem. I'ts like if I say, men are more likely to die in a bar fight in college.

But again, going to your specific question, there is no sign that STEM fields have a higher rate of sexual harassment in any way. So it is important to talk about the issue if the people in it are willing to be honest and critical about it. You know you are being a disgusting faggot when you appear on the oscars to sewosly discuss with your army of survivor cunts.
>>
I have a PhD in biochemistry and work in a small biotech company. The ratio of men to women at my company is exactly 50/50 men to women (18 people total) and both of my managers that oversee my day to say activities are female.

Yup, seems really sexist.
>>
>>7979785
Men face sexual harassment all the time, they just don't give a fuck. I've had many women make fun of how I have "no ass". I admit I have a very flat butt that practically isn't even there. But why is it that women at my workplace can openly comment on the shape of my ass and not even worry about it being an issue but if I was to comment on the shape of a female's ass at work it would be instant sexual harassment charge.

Them talking about my ass doesn't even bug me. What does bug me is the double standard.
>>
>>7979803
Yea, but you still have to admit it is pretty skewed, even if it is because of a double standard. I can live with that if these cunts could finally accept everyone is not equal.
>>
>>7969389
>n-nobody gives a shit
>180+ replies
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.