[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How fucked would we be if the Sun supernova'd?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: sun.jpg (615 KB, 2048x1228) Image search: [Google]
sun.jpg
615 KB, 2048x1228
How fucked would we be if the Sun supernova'd?
>>
File: CafjdQHUMAA6ZJm.jpg (50 KB, 600x503) Image search: [Google]
CafjdQHUMAA6ZJm.jpg
50 KB, 600x503
>>7968360
You better bust out the factor 50+
>>
We would be dead.

/thread
>>
>>7968369
Just how dead?
Slow cancer death or instant obliteration dead?
>>7968368
I've never had to use suncream before lol
>>
>>7968369
And the best part is that there is no better answer.
>>
>>7968360

The sun is far too small to go through a supernova phase. It will become a red giant, during which it will engulf at least everything before the asteroid belt. After that it will die as a white dwarf.
>>
>>7968376
instant obliteration dead if you are lucky
otherwise freezing or hunger/thirst dead
>>
>>7968414
>freezing
Wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>7968427
i know right. it's almost like he thinks the sun generates heat through nuclear fusion and emits alpha particles towards the earths atmosphere which influences our climate and global temperature. the fucking retard. everyone knows that climate is a meme and the weather is influenced by spiders.
>>
>>7968434
Do you really think there would be a planet left if the Sun went supernova?
>>
>>7968434
do you seriously think that alpha particles from the sun are our primary source of heat? Most of the time they don't even make it to the surface (except at the south pole).
>>
>>7968360
Firstly, our sun is far too small to supernova, if you somehow forced it to though, it be about the same as having a nuke go off on your face
>>
>>7968385
>After that it will die as a white dwarf.
Thas' rassis.
>>
>>7968368
>dat pic.
fukken saved.
>>
I'm curious, is it predicted that the earth will even last that long assuming we don't fuck everything up by then? I mean are we on a collision course with anything?
>>
>>7968955
We're probably on collision courses with hundreds of things right now.
>>
>>7968955
Earth has about 200 million years before stellar expansion makes it uninhabitable
>>
>>7968376
>Just how dead?
Earth and everything in it would be disintegrated and turned into plasma.
>>
>>7968360
>fucked

You'll die a virgin, faggot.
>>
imagine a nuclear bomb the size of the sun going off
>>
>>7968360
GLOBAL WARMING IS A SCAM!
WAKE UP SHEEPLE!
>>
>>7968434
You're right, that would be pretty retarded.
>>
>>7969593
scam makes it sound dangerous. this is more like a meme
>>
>>7968360

leidenfrost effect would protect us
>>
We still have hundreds of years worth of power in fossil fuels. Solar is only a tiny % of our overall power grid.

Plants would die probably, but honestly most food is just chemicals now anyway. You might have to have chips or chocolate instead of apples and carrots.
>>
>>7968882
Actually, a billion times worse than having a nuke go off on your face.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/73/
>>
>>7968882
>our sun is far too small to supernova
I want redditors to leave
>>
File: sci.jpg (425 KB, 1600x1558) Image search: [Google]
sci.jpg
425 KB, 1600x1558
What would happen if all the air turned to wood?
>>
>>7971644
Our sun swells up, then shrinks, its not big enough to explode
>>
>>7968955
We only have to last like 100 years from now, until we have technology to avoid collisions.
>>
>>7968360
hope u like being plasma
>>
>>7970205
chocolate comes from plants we're fucked
go cannibalism
>>
>>7971619
>xkcd
Martha...
>>
>>7971660
i remember that stoner dog meme
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.