[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about transhumanism and space travel. how soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nc0fgucXhE1rv6ms8o1_500.gif (558 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc0fgucXhE1rv6ms8o1_500.gif
558 KB, 500x670
Let's talk about transhumanism and space travel.

how soon will cyborgs be a reality? I hear DARPA is experimenting with neural prosthetics which could be the precursor to neural augmentations.
>>
>>7968286
>transhumanism
>space travel
>cyborgs
>DARPA
When people think about this stuff seriously, it's an indication we are already living in a new age dark age.
World is going straight to hell and you along with it, forget these dreams son.
>>
>>7968286
JC Denton confirmed
>>
I'm waiting for the day where I don't have to spend hours online researching/watching stuff and I could just brain beam everything I want in seconds and go on about my day.
>>
>>7968473
Because m-m-muh purity? Muh gawd given bodies?
>>
>>7968286
fuck cyborgs I want to be genetically engineered using a vastly improved cell structure and more resilient dna
>>
>>7969388
Why not both?
>>
>>7969388
> cyborgs
> re-engineering cells
> not the same thing

bait?
>>
Humans are no where near ready for stuff like this. Our world wouldn't be utopian, it would be ran by crime and degeneracy. This kind of power requires a new evolution in human reasoning and virtue. For God's sake we live in a world where we don't admit dangerous and imminent truths because we don't want to offend our enemies.
>>
>>7968286
>transhumanism
We think It's a meme
>>
>>7969489
>We live in a world where we don't admit dangerous and imminent truths because we don't want to offend our enemies.
>Therefore our world wouldn't be utopian, it would be ran by crime and degeneracy.

Does not compute.
The criminals would have to be way smarter than the rest to run things, and degeneracy is objective and depends on the region you live in.
>>
>>7969494
nah, you do

another thing you will be able to do shortly is being proven wrong
>>
Avionics/Instrumentation engineer here. quantising everything is well and dandy but consider this.

My first car had a high compression 1.6 litre 4 cylinder carburettored enginer with basic pneumatic engine spark advance.

You could fit all the gauges you wanted to, but it would not go any faster or get better mileage, One needs full digital feedback for that to happen.

I.e .... nothing is going to happen.
>>
Technically cyborgs already are a reality. Pacemakers and whatnot.

I think we'll probably see some pretty significant strides within our lifetimes towards things like drastically increased longevity, disease immunity, rapid healing (relatively, not like wolverine-level but weeks instead of months), as well as cosmetic stuff like vastly improved plastic surgery techniques. We'll probably also see moderate physical performance enhancements, and maybe pretty significant mental ones. Maybe we'll get some neat novelties like night vision. There will also be radical improvements in things like gender reassignment surgery, and I suspect that by the mid-21st century the idea of your identity being inextricably tied to your physical appearance will be getting a bit shaky.

I don't think we'll start seeing the really crazy Deus Ex stuff until the end of the century, if ever. I have my doubts that things like bulky metal arms will ever become popular - more likely humans of the year 2100 (at least the wealthy ones) will look basically human, just really attractive and significantly more intelligent and physically capable. They'll probably also all look like they're 30 despite being in their 70s chronologically.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.