[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so seeing as Bristol raised their BSc Math requirements to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
Ok, so seeing as Bristol raised their BSc Math requirements to A*A*A and Edinburgh raised theirs to A*AA. I think it's time for an updated discussion. Best unis for math in UK?

Mine: Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, UCL (maybe Edinburgh, too).
>>
Sheffied Hallam ofc
>>
Durham

meet me there when you go too m8
>>
underagefags FUCK OFF
>>
>>7968331
Durham - the land of the rich kids who cannot do sciences.
>>
>>7968263
>2016
>giving a shit about university

nigga drop out and work you can learn more on youtube/internet in 2 months than in 4 years at that outdated education system.
>>
>>7968372
Oh yeah. When I go to apply for Cambridge for a research position I'm sure BSc Mathematics at YouTube will do me absolute wonders.
>>
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial
4. Warwick
5. UCL

I put imperial above Warwick because
- better employment opportunities , many more employers doing events in the evenings and at fairs because it is in London
-slightly stronger students
-maths curriculum has a more solid first two years, Warwick can offer too much choice too early and also students can make gimmicky choices and lose out on essential knowledge. For example a student at Warwick can go through their degree doing a module on combinatorial optimisation in their second year but not metric and topological spaces.

UCL is weaker than Warwick in terms of both maths teaching and the strength of the students , but employment

This is based on me doing a maths degree at Warwick while looking at example sheets from Cambridge and imperial.
>>
>tfw Lancaster
>>
>>7968366
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=chemistry
Durham's pretty good at sci?
>>
>>7968668

Durham is entirely made up of Oxbridge failures. It is dark and miserable, there is nothing to do, and everybody is both pretentious and soulshatteringly depressed.

Avoid.
>>
>>7968263
>doing maths at uni
>not going to cambridge
>being a fuckwit

pick three
>>
>>7968263
>BSc Math requirements

Wait, there are requirements? Is math a popular degree?

I go to the best national university (but obviously not the best country) and there is just one math classroom (per year group) that maybe fits a max of 20 people and we are just 15, 5 short.

We are so small that even though we get our own administrative building, we don't even have a designated math faculty place. My classroom is in the building of statistical engineering.

I mean, I had to pass an admission test (got a C) but it is not like how I ranked in it mattered as long as I didn't fail.

In contrast, there are like 300 spots for medicine and one of my friends that ranked like 360 had to fuck off back to China.

So what? Is Britain full of mathematicians or is the faculty just too far up its own ass so they don't admit people simply to be exclusive and edgy?
>>
>>7968758

Full of mathematicians.

CS, Engineering (specifically Aero) and Maths are britain's specialty.
>>
High entry requirments =/= good degree programme

Some mid-tier unis make their entry requirements high just to make people think they're better than what they actually are.

Uni's are a business these days, and they want your money.
>>
>>7968744
>working 13 hours a day to get the same job as someone who works 3 hours a day

wew lad hope not
>>
>>7968767
>Uni's are a business these days, and they want your money.

Not if you are not in the US.

My university costs 27$ per semester and you only have to pay extra if your course needs to do seminars or labs, which will usually cost you 5$.

The rest of that (because obviously 27$ doesn't pay the professors and 5$ doesn't pay lab equipment) is paid for by the government.

Not only that but included in those 27$ come free cafeteria use, free healthcare, and free insurance, all paid for by the government.

What is funny is that a lot of my friends decided to go to private universities which are not only ranked lower than the one I'm in, but they have to pay 10k every semester or so.

That is a fucking scam, I mean, why do we have a government for? Why do we pay taxes for then?

Enjoy your modern slavery.
>>
>>7968778
You know your European education isn't free right? Once you graduate you pay higher tax since the government is paying for education. Why should you subsidize someones english literature degree when you worked so hard to get a worthwhile one?
>>
>>7968801
>being literally wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates

Max tax rate in the US: 56%
Max tax rate in the UK: 45%

Secondary source: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26327114

Still. You must remember that your country has 1 trillion dollars in student loan debt. I'm not even going to bother to source this one because it is too easy to google.

Anyways, lets assume that we are all retarded and lets completely deny reality. Now the US has a lower tax rate.

Does it matter?

>Higher education is practically free
>That means it is easy to rise up and become high earners
>Therefore now you can easily afford to pay more taxes

So even in that alternate universe we are OK.

Are you like those black slaves who would suck up to their owners just to get a chance of getting treated better?
>>
>>7968431
>implying they don't do research on it on their own (if not it is deserved)
>implying people don't get guidance of proffessors to combine their choices
>>
>>7968742
why should that be true?
>>
Did a few maths units last year in Bristol and it's examined by just regurgitating proofs. Is this the same for all first year maths courses?
>>
>>7968808
>max tax rate = effective tax rate
Top lel mate, why don't you quote the "corporate tax rates" when some of your corporations literally get paid by government and pay net negative taxes.
>>
>>7968263
>>7968263
>University raises their entry requirements
>Students actually believe that this makes the university better

Fallen for it hook line and sinker. When I was at a top university one day they gave a lecture on statistics and as an example they used graphs of performance of students based on A level grades. The graph clearly showed that above B grade there was barely any difference. The reason why they were using this example seems to have been to vent pent up anger against the administration who they said forced them to raise entry requirements from BBB to A*AA simply to raise the image of the university. Can you believe that? A top 10 university STEM faculty wanting to let in B grade students? What they say makes sense because IIRC Oxford was one of the last to start using the A*. it doesn't prove the student is better it simply makes recruitment easier (lazier) and makes the institution look more "elite". Anyway the moral of this is don't choose a university just because they have super high entrance requirements that's fuckin retarded.
>>
>>7968767
Ah lol someone else already said it also, yes exactly what I am saying here. >>7969451
>>
REF 2014 all you need
>>
Teesside ;)
>>
File: maths rankings 2014.png (1 MB, 1109x1669) Image search: [Google]
maths rankings 2014.png
1 MB, 1109x1669
>>7970122
Actually here is a better version with column headings
>>
>>7970139
now you just need to look up the student/staff ratio for each of those and you're golden
>>
>>7968651
What is wrong with Lancaster?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.