[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quantum Entanglement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Quantum Entanglement.jpg (42 KB, 605x320) Image search: [Google]
Quantum Entanglement.jpg
42 KB, 605x320
Can someone give an ELI5 of an experiment of quantum entanglement which demonstrates that it's not simply: this box contains a red ball, this one contains a blue ball, when I open a box and get a blue ball I know instantly the other has red?

Like can we take a measurement which gives one particle a certain energy level and then observe that exact same energy level in the other particle?

Basically I'm looking for someone to prove beyond a doubt that we can witness spooky action at a distance.
>>
reddit
>>
>>7967489
go back to rebbit fag
>>
Grrr... I don't like Reddit and you used a term that is used often on Reddit, therefore I won't help you.
>>
>>7967498
>>7967499
>>7967532
None of you know how to answer OP's question
>>
>>7967489
>ELI5

What?
>>
>>7967489
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem
>>
>>7967489
Read about Bell's inequality, it's a result that would be true if the states were defined by an arbitrary, local hidden variable (i.e. no spooky action at a distance). However experimental results show the violation of this, meaning that it can't be the case.
>>
>>7967632
The proof isn't that difficult either, all you need to know is some basic integral stuff and to be able to realise when things are positive or negative.
>>
>The theory of quantum entanglement predicts that separated particles can briefly share common properties and respond to certain types of measurement as if they were a single particle. In particular, a measurement on one particle in one place can alter the probability distribution for the outcomes of a measurement on the other particle at a different location.

What if those properties were set before they separated? Would those be "local hidden variables?"

So Bell's theorem basically says that there are tests we can run that proves action at a distance?

So distance is an illusion? We're all sitting next to each other? Give me some leg room asshole!
>>
>>7967532
Hello OP
>>
>>7967489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuvK-od647c
>>
>>7967489
>this box contains a red ball, this one contains a blue ball, when I open a box and get a blue ball I know instantly the other has red

This is EXACTLY how it is, except that the boxes arnt normal boxes. they do some wield things when you bring them together (directly or indirectly). But if you separate them and never bring them together again, its just like that.

The reason its spooky action isn't because when you change one something happens to the other one, its because the boxes are labeled so that the universe can remember that those two boxes are linked, so that when you bring them together again, they do their weird shit.
>>
>>7969666
>This is EXACTLY how it is
See
>>7967618
>>
>>7969420
Thanks.

That helped.
>>
elis? You want me to elis?
>>
>>7969687
>implying you can do a bell test without getting the particles together again (indirectly)
>>
>>7967489
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
>>
So quantum entanglement either means that there a local hidden variables or we have no understanding of what empty space actually is?

Got it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.