[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what would be nice? If we became an interstellar species.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 940x529
You know what would be nice? If we became an interstellar species.
>>
Why?
>>
>>7967345
We already are, Voyager entered interstellar space years ago.
>>
>>7967348
I meant as in humans going out and colonizing other star systems and worlds.
>>
>>7967352
Why would you want a facist government?
>>
>>7967356
Because commie martians are a menace to our glorious consumerist civilisation.
>>
>>7967345
If the Christopher Nolan movie it's that in order to do that we must first fuck up our planet and wait for alien overlords to throw a wormhole our way.
>>
>>7967347
Because it would be like the Age of Discovery here on Earth. Resources, spreading out the human population to ensure our continuos survival, and leaps in technological achievement.
>>
>>7967356
What does that have with anything?
>>
>>7967366
You understand that c is a hard rule and space is large right?

How do humans get to other stars and planets when it takes 200 years or more to get there? Large space ships, which carry, essentially, their own small part of civilization with them. 500, 1000, 5000 people at a clip, enough people to a) run the ship, keep it from breaking down, b) deal with the issue of hundreds if not thousands of people being in the same place, and c) perpetuate themselves in a closed environment for generations.

Do you think this government will be nice? Do you think they will allow deviation from the hegemony when any instance of rebellion is likely to KILL EVERYONE on the ship? No. Everyone has a job, everyone breeds and helps raise kids. No Muslims, no welfare, no deadbeat dads. Not Allowed. Doing so endangers the entire voyage.

Do you think, once they reach this new planet, the people in charge are likely to give up this power?

Saying you want people, actual, biological, human beings, to colonize other planets, is saying you want a complete dictatorship which decides every aspect of your life prior to your birth, because that is the only way humans even make it to other worlds.
>>
>>7967362
Woah
>>
>>7967389
It would still be cool though
>>
>>7967352
>>7967366
>>7967392

>Colonisation is ok despite 5000 years of bloody History repeating itself proving the contrary
>>
>>7967400
So should we stay here then? Should we not go?
>>
>>7967389

By the time we figure out interstellar trave, we'll have been genetically modifying humans for ages

The epsilons and deltas won't bother anybody :^)
>>
>>7967389

I think you're kinda blowing it out of proportion.

Once the technology that could allow space colonization exists, it'd probably be an enticing prospect for a lot of different religious or philosophical groups. They can set out into space with volunteers hand-picked for their belief in a cause and settle some far off world. It doesn't matter what happens to them really. They can become dystopian hellholes or crazy monarchies or utopian societies. If people want to stay on Earth, that's fine too because there's enough humans to go around. As long as these colonists exist and manage to survive out there, humans as a species have cleared our first "win condition".

The next one might be encountering an alien species and surviving, assuming intelligent life exists elsewhere.
>>
>>7967400
Great things came from colonization. It's only when we stopped the colonial efforts that shit hit the fan.
>>
>>7967345
Then I hope you are voting for Trump, type I civilization won't happen untill we get rid of all the trash.
>>
>>7967389
I think you're assuming everyone and their mother would get on a cramped spaceship and fly off to a distant world for years like a bunch of sardines in space. What would likely happen is that we would send our best and brightest out to the first new worlds to successfully establish colonies. By this time I assume we would have cryosleep and space ships would be semi-autonomous (if not fully autonomous.) Like the other anon said, you're blowing way out of proportion and your scenario is probably the worst case scenario. Humans aren't mindless violent creatures that if we spend even a few weeks with each other, we'll just rip each other's throat out.
>>
>>7967420
Being enticing doesn't change point a). You need a group of people, at all times, to fly, run, and repair the ship or everyone dies. Remember, space hates you. Anything goes wrong and everyone dies. There can be no insubordination, no laziness, no power struggles, or everyone dies.

No hippies in space, only strict military structured regimes.
>>
>>7967494

Sure, but people could and would volunteer for regimented lifestyle. Otherwise the military as an organization would never work in the first place.
>>
>>7967362
oh snap dude, pass that good shit
>>
>>7967493
This discounts the time factor. Space travel will never be short. We won't send a few people, we can't. No one who leaves on a journey to a new planet will actually get there, their grandchildren will. You need enough people to make more people, and train those people to be replacements. You need an entire towns worth of people, who happen to be engineers, physicists, teachers, security, commanders, farmers, women and men. Real, interstellar space travel will not be done with rockets and crews of 4.
>>
>>7967400
>oh no, we're oppressing the Martian regolith's civil liberties!
>>
>>7967508

Unless they freeze em.
>>
>>7967508
What about cryosleep? Or frozen embryos? What are your thoughts on that? The technology already exists to an extent and paired with a very intelligent AI whose programmed purpose is to ensure the safety of its cargo and to reach its destination could be a viable alternative to sending live humans. We don't have to send live humans you know.
>>
>>7967389
>Rockets are the only way to move through spacetime
>>
>>7967444
Literally everyone who was ever colonized hated it. Check your privilege.
>>
File: android.jpg (456 KB, 1280x1307) Image search: [Google]
android.jpg
456 KB, 1280x1307
Meatbag humans are not capable of interstellar travel. To attempt such an endeavor would be an unconscionable waste of time and resources. Send androids instead.
>>
>>7967444
>Metropolis sucks every profit from the colony.
>It's forbidden to have industry in the colony.
>The colony can prosper, but the metropolis is depleting its resources.
Gee, I wonder why do they hate the colonizers.
>>
You know what would be nice? Not worrying about complications due to a lack of healthcare. Not being forced into treatment and then getting stuck with the bill.
>>
>>7967519
>>7967518
We're talking over 100 years here.

Yes, the first people would be risk takers, they would have to be.

But, 100 years plus, travelling through space, with only automated systems to handle anything that goes wrong? No chance of communication with Earth, to tell the engineers back home that something the computer can't handle went wrong.

100 plus years of a computer running constantly and consistantly with 0 errors.

100 plus years of a nuclear reactor of some sort running constantly and consistantly with no errors.

Space is very large, the chances of, say an asteroid hitting are unlikely, but really, it is such a long time, there will be situations the computer is not programmed to handle, and the ship must be kept in working order, no matter what.

I'd like to think I would go on one of these trips, but I'd rather have humans awake and at the wheel.
>>
>>7967527
>Literally everyone who was ever colonized hated it.

Sucks to be them. Everyone who colonized them thought it was the best thing ever and it hastened progress in several fields.

Also there's no one living in space so who gives a shit.
>>
>>7967535
It's real ironic having what I assume to be Americans for this is an American site singing the praises of colonization when the early history of their country was based around fighting against colonization.
>>
There is no such thing as a species. There are only living bodies.
>>
>>7967540
As I said this is all based on the bizzare assumption that current human space travel technology is the best that will ever exist. Warp drives and wormholes are a thing you know.
>>
>>7967540
just send way more than you need
if they are all in test tubes it's going to be a lot easier
it works for turtles anyway

keep a few awake in case of system failure
>>
>>7967548
It is ironic that they wouldn't have been there to fight colonization if they hadn't been the colonizer that took over and developed the continent.
>>
>>7967539
Yeah that would be very nice.
>>
>>7967542
>Everyone who colonized them thought it was the best thing ever
Exactly, your opinion on colonization is subjective. If aliens turn up tomorrow and take over the Earth even if they give us all super advanced technology most people will want rid of them simply because they want to be free. This is why colonization doesn't work, different people want to do things their own way and don't take kindly to being told what to do by some faceless emperor thousands of miles away.
>>
>>7967540
Technology is bound to be improved beyond our imagination. If we send a spaceship on a 100 year journey to a star it's probably gonna be lapped by faster, more efficient, more reliable ships before it even reaches its destination.
>>
>>7967559
>developed the continent.
This argument every time. It's like saying it's ok for a nigger to come into your house and fuck your daughter so long as he buys you a new TV. Because that's what we did to the indians, raped their lands and gave them TV in return so "that made it okay"
>>
>>7967548
fuck r u talking about lad
>>
>>7967556
Yes, and if we had nano-machines capable of rearranging atoms, and cold fusion, and strong AI that is all about making humans better, and could transfer our minds into computers at a whim, none of this would matter.

But we don't. If you want to talk about space travel, we talk about it within the realm of knowledge and realistic possibilities in the future. Warp Drives require harvesting a planets worth of mass, sounds viable. Wormholes? Wormholes are a result of Black Holes in GR. You know the problem with that? Once you go into a wormhole you cannot get back out. Sounds viable.

Until such time as tech and physics change, we have to look at space travel through the lense of what is possible with improvements on today's technology. Large ships powered by nuclear fusion or fission, with enough people to sustain themselves are possible. They would require a massive investment of time and resources to create, but they are possible. Nothing else is.
>>
>>7967578
if we all thought like that we'd still be trying to get around in airships
>>
>>7967577
> X was legal
> Which proves everyone was using it
kek
>>
Protip: When Humans start living permanently off world they stop being Humans. The difference in conditions and gravity over successive generations will alter the people into something else.
>>
>>7967586
Did the Wright Brothers try to build a jet engine? No, they used the technology and physics available at the time. Was it improved upon? Yes, immensely.

Great inventors, engineers, physicists, etc take the information available, and see what they can do with it. They don't rely on magic from the future to fix their problems for them.
>>
>>7967594
They will be subhumans and will be considered second-class citizens to Earth-born humans
>>
>>7967594
Nice Lamark-tier claim you got there.
>>
>>7967595
oh ok so it;s ok to use physics that's available but not cool to try to advance physics to achieve a set goal

makes no sense whatsoever
>>
>>7967586
>get around in airships
Airships are nice, shame they're gone.
>>
>>7967606
yeah i agree desu they are cool as fuck, i want one
>>
>>7967548
A lot of American history is ironic.
US policy is a schizophrenic giant with one side fighting for its ideals of life and liberty and the other fighting for its self interest and preservation.

Theres a hardcore history podcast if anyone is interested in that sort of thing
>>
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 1097x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 1097x1300
>>7967606
They're amazing
>>
>>7967604
No, it's okay to advance physics.

It's not okay to see a problem and say "Well, once we invent X, this problem will be solved" Thinking that Warp Drives and Worm Holes and Strong AI, and trans-humanism will ix the issues with Space Travel only sets back the idea, since you don't know if those things will ever actually happen.

You talk about Space Travel with what you know is possible, and plan on using the things we have available. When new things come along you incorporate them. You do not wait for new things to fix your problems, because they may never come.
>>
>>7967606

They're coming back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--XBVHG_IY

(sort of)
>>
>>7967619
most technology was invented for a completely different reason than it ends up being used for, so in that sense i agree with you, people can only work with what they have as well, this is obvious

but sometimes people need a solution fast and throw resources at a problem to achieve a breakthrough, i guess i'm just saying i'm not against that, if the payoff is really cool
like indefinite lifespan, that's a decent payoff, well worth some high risk behaviour
>>
>>7967614
>Of the 97 people on board (36 passengers and 61 crewmen), there were 35 fatalities (13 passengers and 22 crewmen). One worker on the ground was also killed, making a total of 36 fatalities.

Better survival rate than your average airplane accident.
>>
>>7967630
I mean, I agree with throwing resources at something. But it's not like the moon landing was done without knowledge of Newton, GR, and Rocketry already being worked on. It was a huge engineering project, and yeah, tech was invented, and the ideas were new, but, Jet engines existed, Rockets existed, radio existed, computers existed. The engineering project was just pouring money into already existing technologies, and ramping them up. Warp Drives don't exist, it's a theory. The EM drive exists. Pour money into that, see where it takes you.
>>
>>7967637
>>7967614

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YY0xw5r1ro

this still gives me chills.
>>
>>7967648
>this still gives me chills.
Have you seen what a fucking plane crash looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MB9JDBe4wA

It was a cargo aircraft, but imagine how much fucking nope those last seconds involved for the pilots.

Just as much fire but you hit the ground at 300+km/h instead.
>>
>>7967613

Different poster, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing that podcast.
>>
>>7967676
Except ones instant death, the other slow painful death.
>>
>>7967595
fucking this. I saw people constantly tasking why hoverboards don't exist, I decide to look into it, I see some people trying to lift themselves by standing on a drone, do some calculation and testing, tell people that this is a viable solution, people tell me "hurr it's too big and noisy, doesn't fly forever, we have to sit back and wait for antigravity technology"

Call hoverboards a meme all you want but it illustrates this posters point perfectly. You don't realize your dreams by doing nothing and waiting for the technology to come along you get off your ass and use whatever you have available for once you get the ball rolling it will be improved over time into something near your original vision.
>>
>>7967682
The website is down...
This might be the right episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLZYeo2UyM
It's about the Spanish-American war, freeing Cuba, and "freeing" the Phillipeans iirc.
>>
>>7967702
Woah
>>
>>7967708
What?
>>7967707
>Supported Batista
>Freed Cuba
This is why Castro recently told "the empire" to fuck off when Obama visited.
>>
>>7967400
> Implying there is anything that would mind being conquered within Hunan's colonial scope in space
>>
File: civtypes.png (12 KB, 888x157) Image search: [Google]
civtypes.png
12 KB, 888x157
Soon
>>
>>7967854
>can control weather on surface of planet

well i guess we can do that, sort of
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.