[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say you're writing your dissertation, and in the last months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 02.jpg (148 KB, 525x380) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
148 KB, 525x380
Say you're writing your dissertation, and in the last months before deadline you realise what you did was done before in some paper cited by zero people.

Do you mention it, or do you pretend it doesn't exist?
>>
>>7967040
You fucked up during your literature review, m8. Either you are working in an area nobody else gives a crap about or there is a reason people are not considering your approach to the problem.

Can you get the other paper and spin it somehow to look like you were aware of it? Are you doing theoretical stuff? If it's empirical, I always say that research has been "thus far scarce and inconclusive" regarding the issue at hand.

All the same, if your thesis committee/PI didn't direct the paper to your attention when you proposed your thesis, there is something weirder going on. If anybody is researching anything remotely close to my PI's work, he practically seems to know their street address and the name of their firstborn.
>>
>>7967088
Well it's a BSc final project, so I imagined no one expects too much from me. It's pretty much in an area that nobody gives a crap about (myself included).

That paper seems to do kinda exactly what I've done (same objective, same experiment, same results), but given that it's empirical, I can use your quote but I don't think I want to reference the paper? I just want to get it over with this report tbqh, but I need a good mark
>>
>>7967101
Which uni?
(plz say imperial :3 )
>>
>>7967232
Naw, though I hold an offer from ICL for MSc which I will probably accept
>>
File: clickthis.jpg (112 KB, 1883x925) Image search: [Google]
clickthis.jpg
112 KB, 1883x925
>>7967040
I don't understand this picture. It's obviously "art" but let's explore the symbolism. Fish coming out of a pillow. Are they herring? Mackeral? Does it matter? Fish could be a reference to vaginas, but then why the pillow? Are the fish dreams? Is the pillow a vagina that births dreams of fish? Maybe the fish are jesus fish, and just represent food or provisions. Is this advocating getting a good night's sleep then? I notice the bed is a single, so is it saying that celibacy and healthy sleep make good productive citizens? I think that's the safest bet.
>>
>>7967301
>he thinks art must have symbolism
>goes into an autistic analysis
>/sci/ appreciating art
>>
File: kool-aid1.jpg (84 KB, 406x397) Image search: [Google]
kool-aid1.jpg
84 KB, 406x397
>>7967307
Did you have fun reading it? I think you did.
>>
File: bait.png (8 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
8 KB, 512x512
>>7967301
The fish picture is ironically a bait pic. The bait is that it gives the impression that it has a meaning and draws fuccbois like you into analyzing it and trying to draw a conclusion from something which has no meaning or purpose at all.
But again, maybe trolling and baiting itself is an artform.
>>
>>7967040
>Say you're writing your dissertation
>Well it's a BSc final project,

Nobody gives a fuck about your undergrad project.
>>
>>7967654
That's relieving actually
>>
are you enjoying the research lifestyle OP? been thinking about pursuing a MSc in chemical engineering, currently a second year.

heard the job marked for my major is horrendous anyways.
>>
>>7967301
It's modern art.
He just wanted to put fish on a pillow and make big bucks.
>>
>>7967301
"Sleeping with the fishes"

Get it?
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-30+at+12.05.33).jpg (80 KB, 390x593) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-30+at+12.05.33).jpg
80 KB, 390x593
Heavens ?
Are you involved with this miracle of probability?
>>
>>7967670
Yeah it's cool, but I wish it was in a topic for which I didn't lose interest months ago
>>
>>7967675
>>7967301
>>7967307
>>7967323

trolling is a art
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.