[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/, I am in the 4th year of Computer Science but my writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: dinisurface.png (47 KB, 464x265) Image search: [Google]
dinisurface.png
47 KB, 464x265
Hey /sci/,
I am in the 4th year of Computer Science but my writing is very bad, which makes my life difficult since I want to follow academic carrer. What could I do to improve my writing skills?

>pic unrelated
>>
Generally, reading helps your writing.
>>
>>7966588

READ ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL THAT ENGAGES YOU, AND THEN WRITE ABOUT IT. Start a blog and write pieces for it. Post your things on your blog. Do not expect a following; simply write for yourself, write things that you can live with, and post them. By reading, you will learn the relevant clauses, phrases etc which are useful. Work on parroting enough of those clauses often enough (a process that writers have to go through) and in different enough contexts, and eventually you will have a voice of your own.

This is why I recommend fictional narratives that you might enjoy, though strictly speaking what you really need to do is to read anything that holds your interest. Fiction, poetry, and philosophy are valuable to the scientist who must learn to write effectively, because in addition to their thought experiments and motivational myths (sometimes harmful), the unscientific literature /teaches you how to write to humans/. If you can make a right reference, or turn a right phrase, in addition to your data, then your case will be sufficiently emotionally compelling (shown by science to be critical to human judgment), along with your data, to actually influence people somewhat. This is rhetoric, rhetoric uses both reason and emotion.

In much of acaedmia, you must be rhetorically effective, especially in your native language whatever it is, in whatever you wish to do, if you wish to achieve your end OP.

Read. Write. Read. Write. Read. Write. Start somewhere. Find excuses to read and write. Make sure that the things that you read and write about, are of interest to you, because otherwise you will not be motivated to read and write about them. If and when you find something that you care about very much, the rest will become simpler.
>>
>>7966599
Well, that was kinda inspiring!
Thanks anon, I surely will take theses advices from now on!
>>
>>7966588
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Universal_Material#Writing
>>
>>7966588
its career...
>>
>>7966588

Did you get into a graduate program? Is English your second language?

You can still do research if your written skills are shaky. Granted, your papers might not be regarded as highly as others that are better crafted, but you can still publish nonetheless.

My advice would be to jump on as many pre-publication projects as you can. Do enough work to have a chance to be involved in the paper they write, and then take a backseat (while contributing) to gain practice in technical writing. It's a win-win.
>>
>>7968087
I have working on scientific initiation project and english is indeed my second language.

Going to take this advice anon, thanks.
>>
>>7966588
>Computer Science
Good luck.
>>
>>7968619
Why good luck?

>>7966620
thanks for the link, anon
>>
>>7966588
What do you mean by bad? Bad structure, grammar, or just general outline? Maybe try to formalize your writing to an extent.

For example, here's a general idea for a generic essay, intro, paragraphs, conclusion.

Try to make the intro short and somewhat generic, give enough info to contextualize your writing, but not too much where your later paragraph is redundant. Usually have at least 3 points for the paper, can be up to n. Also, the order of my introduction dictates order of the essay, i.e Blah blah integrals. Goose eggs vectors. Jim jam Ronald Reagan. Would then have the first paragraph delve into integrals, then vectors, and the final paragraph being about Ronald Reagan.

From here its fairly formulated. Make a point, corroborate it with a quote or fact, extend based on the fact and then further with more quotes and personal points based on the source material.

I feel like I'm a shit writer because I always do my papers in the same format, but I've had enough As and Professors compliment me that I've bought into my own hype.

This was a lot wordier than I planned, but hopefully you get something out of it.
>>
Don't forget that you can always hire a humanities monkey to make corrections in your papers. They will do anything for a job, anyways.
>>
>>7966588

I suffered this too, or still do. In different language though. Like said reading helps to build larger vocabulary and learn new ways to express yourself.

In addition you have to write. Online is a good place. I like to write short sex stories because those are easily invented and you are able to focus on writing. There are so many bad stories too that entering threshold is not too high and you get feedback. Even though your topic is not what you are likely to be writing in the future. It will force you to take into account all the things needed to write good texts.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.