[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What if you had an incredibly thick metal cube that could withstand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: IHLjdHdzSvi0rgUMMlSK_TE3_0286.jpg (3 MB, 6016x3376) Image search: [Google]
IHLjdHdzSvi0rgUMMlSK_TE3_0286.jpg
3 MB, 6016x3376
What if you had an incredibly thick metal cube that could withstand a nuclear blast in itself. You put a cube of sugar in it then seal it off and detonate the nuke inside of it.
Could that theoretically cleate a black hole or any anomaly?
>>
Would not you indestructible cube be the anomaly?
>>
sry "...your* cube..."
>>
Well it would not be indestructible. Sure it would be hell to manufacture.
Only thick enough to contain a nuclear blast. It doesnt have to be a cube.
>>
R u dumb?
>>
>>7966386
You get a black hole by squeezing a chunk of matter into a volume smaller than its Schwarzschild radius. Even if your nuke managed to achieve this, the sugar cubes mass is so low the black hole would evaporate too quickly to do anything. All you would get is very thoroughly caramalised sugar
>>
I'm sitting here trying to figure out why you would put a sugar cube in, and I'm confounded.
>>
>>7966961
>the sugar cubes mass is so low the black hole would evaporate too quickly to do anything.

Actually, the evaporation alone, even though the black hole would have a subatomic size, would release energy close to a nuclear bomb.
>>
>have a black hole
>event horizon 1 meter in diameter
>have an unbreakable box
>1 meter on each side
>let box collide with black hole
What happen?
>>
>>7967010
No it wouldnt, not even close, all it has to work with is the mass of the sugar, and even annihilated its not that much
>>
>>7967006
There's a joke to be made here about hyperglycemia and tesseracts, but it escapes me at the moment.
>>
File: shutterstock_46799356[1].jpg (438 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_46799356[1].jpg
438 KB, 1500x1000
>>7967031
I should just point out that I liked the pun there
>>
>>7967031
>>7967033
>construction of the pun is left as an exercise for the reader
>>
>>7967098
>>
>>7967033
>>7967098
>>
>>7967098
>construction of the tesseract is trivial and the proof is left to the reader
>>
>>7967020
>unbreakable box
The premise is nonsense so there is no educated response to be given.
>>
>>7966961
If we covered an asteroid that had the minimum required mass to create a stable black hole with nuclear shaped charges would we be able to blast it into a black hole?
>>
File: 8499748914_10597e3aef_z.jpg (141 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
8499748914_10597e3aef_z.jpg
141 KB, 612x612
I mentioned the sugar cube to be compressed. But i wasnt thinking enough apparently. Im not a scientist i dont even have highschool finished.
That idea just came to me and i thought to share it to see what you guys think. But the metal cube could become the object to be compressed.
>>
File: einstein1_7.jpg (61 KB, 620x747) Image search: [Google]
einstein1_7.jpg
61 KB, 620x747
>>7967026
>all it has to work with is the mass of the sugar

Yeah, that's more than enough. A sugar cubes weighs between 2g and 4g. Converting that into energy gives us a value between 180 and 360 Terajoules of energy. That's equal to 43-86kt of TNT.

For comparison, Fat Man and Little Boy are estimated to have had a yield of 21kt and 16kt respectively, so I think it's fair to say it would come close to a nuclear bomb.
>>
>>7967336
We could then possibly have so much pressure inside. But what would happen?
I totally want to see someone do this.
>>
>>7967343
You can't have enough pressure in that box to make a black hole. Black holes are created when stars multiple times larger than our sun collapse under their own gravity.

Those are forces we could not possibly hope to achieve.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.