[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a complete moron who frequents this board out of admiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: sneaky.jpg (103 KB, 304x395) Image search: [Google]
sneaky.jpg
103 KB, 304x395
As a complete moron who frequents this board out of admiration and aspiration, i've decided to actually try and study some basic topics that are somewhat relevant here.

As i'm just starting out, anyone have any good online sources that can teach me the basics of calculus? Thanks guys. Pic unrelated.
>>
MIT OCW
>>
Download the PDF of the book Thomas Calculus Early Transcendentals 12th edition. There's a solutions manual floating around somewhere too.

Its what I reccomend to everyone that wants to learn calc on their own. It goes over all three calc classes, just learn some basic trig stuff and you'll be ready for Calculus.

There's a publisher called "Dover" that has some very nice books at a very affordable price as well, just stay away from Kindle versions. I've heard Kline's Calculus is very good as well from Dover, but I have no experience with Kline.
>>
KhanAcademy will be perhaps a little easy, but helpful if you get stuck while working on other resources
>>
>>7966179

Thomas Calculus Early Transcendentals pdf:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4RgOsMyAlkNNUZyaU40UXV3Tnc/view?pref=2&pli=1
>>
>>7966104
Or why don't you just keep enjoying your life like you have it now and just start applying to some university.

Whatever you do, you'll like it more when you feel in some way identified with it. For example, studying maths feels much better and more 'real' if you think of yourself as someone who will soon become a mathematician.

That is not to say that the math is not worth learning for its own sake, but just a tip there.

Remember, the difference between

>eww look at that guy reading weird math books, GROSS!
and
>wow, look at that responsible future professional, he is so applied and responsible!

is just one piece of paper that says 'University of Somewhere somewhere'.
>>
>>7966265
I'd love to, but I'd need to re-take my A-levels first. I wanted to be some kind of physicist, but hanged around the wrong people and didn't take me education seriously enough.
Ended up scraping Cs in statistical maths and physics, and got a B in biology. If I wanted to do a maths/physics course at uni, I'd need a minimum of ABB.
>>
>>7966288
Is that really a requirement?

There is no shame in going to a university with lower standards.

I mean, your professors will be PhDs and they will be teaching you Calculus I. There is literally no objective difference between the undergrad professors at Cambridge and at the university of nigeria or some shit.

But if that's your call then sure. Good luck with your A levels.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.