[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of performing science if the way things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1458435740673.jpg (31 KB, 445x386) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458435740673.jpg
31 KB, 445x386
What's the point of performing science if the way things work (the "laws") could change at any moment? Can we safely assume they won't?

Pic unrelated
>>
What do you mean they could change at any time ? That a theory could be proven wrong or that the actual reality could change (for example gravity stops existing for some reason)
If it's the latter we'll probably die a few seconds after the laws change so who cares.
If it's the first then you can still adapt the theory if it's true in most cases, until you find a better one.
>>
They're only going to change if we have enough evidence of them changing. As in, we have to conduct scientific experiments to discover that happening.

I feel like you need to reword the question or something.
>>
>>7965991
>the point
>induction question
Not /sci/, reeeee, go to /his/, and such
>>
>>7965991
No one's ever caught them changing, and until someone does its reasonable to assume they wont
>>
>>7965991
Laws of Nature dates back to Newton and are now replaced by theories, that like Einstein's theories provide a better fit with what we observe.

This is not a problem.

This is just how science works.
>>
Just imagine gravity would be proven wrong. Suddenly we'll float all over the place. I, for one, wouldn't mind.
>>
"Laws" cannot change at any time. Science is built off how things are observed, it doesn't create anything that isn't already there. Even if a theory changes or is disproved it doesn't mean anything physically changed, just our understanding
>>
It's like a high-schooler read David Hume for the first time.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.