[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Light
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: light-bulb_460x276.jpg (8 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
light-bulb_460x276.jpg
8 KB, 460x276
Hey, i'm new to this board so this is my first post.
I was wandering that if light is invisible (you can only see the things light reflect on), what happens when you look at the SOURCE of the light? i.e a light bulb or the sun. Are you still looking at something light as reflected on?
>>
You see the combination of all colors since none of them is refracted, which is white. Actually you'll see more of a yellow color because of the atmosphere, but if there wasn't one it would be white.
>>
>>7965859
so does this mean you are seeing light directly?
>>
>>7965843
I think you meant to post a bear as your picture, delete and try again.
>>
>>7965867
Technically you're always seeing light directly, light is the only thing you can see but it's not refracted equally depending on what it's reflected on.
So in a way yes, when you see all of the colors together you see light "directly".
More specifically your visual system has 3 different kind of cones to detect colors and the resulting color is the combination of the 3 (just like RGB in computers, but a bit more complicated because of a process called the opponent process). When all three are at their maximum capacity you see white and are blinded.
>>
>>7965843
Light that passes you by (like laser beams in space that do not hit you) are invisible.

Light that strike your eyes, either directly from the source or indirectly by reflecting/refracting/illuminating that reaches your eyes, are visible.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.