[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know asking about this stuff is generally frowned upon here,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: blackscienceman#.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
blackscienceman#.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
I know asking about this stuff is generally frowned upon here, but I feel like this would be the best place to ask.

I'm going back to Uni (my degree is in History and Politics) to study astrophysics in cosmology. It's always been something i've been passionate about, and i'd love to learn more about it - but how useful is it in the real world?

If it turns out to be not very, what other physics-related degree could I get that would actually help towards landing me a good job?
My credentials are as follows: (may not be eligible for the more advanced courses)
-Degree mentioned above
-A in politics (A-level)
-A in mechanical mathematics (A-level)
-B in Physics (A-level)
-B in philosophy of religious studies and ethics (A-level).

I know this post is messy, and I apologize for that - but any information regarding anything i've asked about is appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>7965781
you just learn? for fun? these are bachelors degrees? Does your dad pay for it or what, i dont really understand
>>
>>7965791
I thought my first degree would be useful, boy was I wrong.
I'm 25 and have a job in river island.
I come from a relatively well-off family in the UK and can afford to go back if my family believe that it can actually get me a job outside of retail.
Yes, these are bachelors.
>>
>>7965799
You need to have faith in yourself that you can get a decent job without a field appropriate bachelors degree. It's what most people have to do.
>>
>>7965887
but i want a job in astronomy, or something relevant. I just don't know how available something like that is.
>>
>>7966067
Well you are older now, so the "prime age" of fast-learning STEM undergrad is over for you. Most people in physics are qualified degree holders by your point. It will be extremely difficult and it will not be easy to justify your age to some employers. However:

If you work hard and can finish an undergraduate in physics in under 4 years, it may be worth it to you. Applied physics and mathematics is especially employable (I am studying in applied math, circuit design mostly. Maths and EE double major.) I would suggest working in a more job-focused area than just "astronomy" or "physics" if you are interested in employment. Purer subject tend to be more academic and harder to employ.
>>
it's extremely unlikely to find a job in the field of physics/astrophysics with just a bachelor's.

if you want a decent chance of getting a job you need a ph.d minimum, and keep it mind that there are very few relevant jobs and lots of people trying to get them.
>>
>>7966992
>phd
>necessary for anything other than original research
>>
>>7965799
You're an idiot. You studied one "pure academic" degree and ended up in retail and now you are going to study another? Why not use your brain and do something vocational like law or engineering if you want a good job?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.