[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the odds of life on Europa? We know there is liquid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: Europa.jpg (5 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
Europa.jpg
5 KB, 261x193
What are the odds of life on Europa?

We know there is liquid water and geothermal energy under the ice

In my understanding Water + energy source = Life

I think there is nearly a 100% chance of at least something like mold or algae

There might even be something like tube worms or fish / crabs if we are lucky but I am less optimistic about multi-cellular life

If we could find two sources of life in our own little solar system then the universe MUST be full of life IMO

what does /sci/ think?
>>
>>7965425
One of the reasons life prospered on earth was that it could stabilish a perfect carbon cycle, which we don't know yet if it's possible in europe
>>
simple life IN europa i'd say is "very likely"
>>
>>7965425
Simple, microscopic life there is a high possibility. Anything more complex than that is a pipe dream. But we won't really know for sure until we send a probe there
>>
>>7965425
As soon as they find life on Europa it's going to be filled with muslim immigrants, so it's better that we never know.
>>
>>7965774
Are you suggesting we shouldn't ship them off to another planet?
>>
>>7965425
micro organisms will probably be discovered but complex life most likely not be, almost certainly in fact. but it would show life can exist outside earth which leads to life in the universe
as for rest of the universe the chances of us being the only life is practically impossible even if it was a random occurrence. now mankind meeting these aliens is another matter since most likely we will kill ourselves way before we meet intelligent alien life
>>
Long shot: at low temperatures chemical reactions are slow. By extension development could be slow too, thus life, were it to exist, would be very primitive.
>>
>>7965454
Europe is rather slow to adapt.
>>
Better than 50% in my opinion.
>>
Was just looking at NASA's website. So the next Europa mission isn't planned until the 2020s at the earliest and it's not even going to land probes on the surface to check for life?

What bullshit.
>>
>>7965425
Pop-sci pleb pls go
>>
>>7965425
It depends on how likely abiogenesis really is, and since we dont know how it happened its hard to say. I personally think Europa has good odds though
>>
>>7965770
If there is any life at all it basically confirms that the universe is teeming with it, who cares how complex it is
>>
>>7965425
This is a reasonable statement:
>If we could find two sources of life in our own little solar system then the universe MUST be full of life IMO

But this is a stretch:
>In my understanding Water + energy source = Life

It's a good start but we don't know enough about the first life on Earth, yet. Water is good because it lets all the basic elements move around and interact. Energy gets those elements moving. But we just don't know the odds of elements forming the first organic molecules.
>>
>>7965425
if we find two sources of life in the solar system then that is like REALLY bad news for us. If life exists everywhere, then we should see evidence of intelligent lifeforms, but we do not. The most likely option is that intelligent lifeforms kill themselves off.
>>
>>7966750
>If life exists everywhere, then we should see evidence of intelligent lifeforms

Intelligence isn't a requirement of life. Human intelligence isn't the end result of natural selection. It's just a fortunate happenstance.

>The most likely option is that intelligent lifeforms kill themselves off

What evidence would aliens in a distant system have that humans are intelligent and inhabit a planet orbiting a star they see in their night sky? Pretty much none.
The galaxy could be full of worlds inhabited by intelligent bipedal mammals like ourselves but there is no way we can see any evidence of that with current technology. Measuring the dimming of light during planetary transits doesn't mean anything in that regard. We can find planets potentially capable of harboring earth-like organisms, but just because you have the conditions for life doesn't necessarily mean you get life.
>>
>>7966750
>What are UFOs?
>>
>>7966824
It's also a really really powerful adalptation that pretty much makes you the ruler of your environment if you got it. I can 1v1 any animal on this planet by using my human mind guns.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1169x800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1169x800
>>7965425
Odds are zero.
>>
File: 1445386621564-ck.jpg (7 KB, 198x179) Image search: [Google]
1445386621564-ck.jpg
7 KB, 198x179
>>7965774
Middle kek
>>
>>7965425
I think we will discover a universal truism that water = life
If a place has a large supply of water for many millions of years then there will be life.
>>
I think Europa is more interesting than Mars
Mars does have water, as observed recently, but we KNOW that there are oceans of water underneath the ice of Europa

would the ice protect the sea underneath from radiation, like an atmosphere?
>>
>>7965425
>What are the odds of life on Europa?

What are the odds of you not understanding probability.
>>
File: 534.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
534.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
>>7967693
Dont forget Titan
Huge oceans of liquid hydrocarbons on the surface
>>
>>7966689
Goddamn, fuck NASA. What the fuck are they doing, playing with themselves?
>>
>>7967693
It doesn't need to. Water already blocks radiation. Europa passes through Jupiter's Van Allen Belt, so that protection is definitely needed.
Good luck sending humans there, though.
>>
>>7966689
An ROV capable of diving 62 miles down, as needed on Europa, is unheard of. That kind of pressure is too much for anything to stand.

Now imagine having to design that ROV to function on another planet, several AU away from earth, in almost completely unknown conditions. Not only that, it has to drill through 6 miles of ice to even reach the ocean.

A subsurface probe simply isn't probable. It will never be probable. We will likely never be able to actually see the contents of Europa's oceans.
>>
>>7966689
>>7967861
You guys are morons.
"looking for life" on Europa is easy to say, but think of the logistical and technical nightmare, not to mention the absurd cost of such a project.
First they have to design and develop this super probe/drill/submarine/AI/wondergadget.
Then they have to fly the probe there, perform orbital insertion, detachment and deployment and eventually descent and landing.
Then the probe has to drill through some 60 miles of solid frozen water ice and other materials to get to the supposed ocean.
Then the probe has to descend another 120 miles to the unfathomable crushing depths of the bottom of this ocean (the deepest known part of the ocean on earth is only 6 miles deep) to find the warm sections where these geothermal vents are.
And all this has to be done remotely from nearly 400 million miles away.
Get fucking real.
>>
>>7967861
They are going to land on the surface. Your congress made it law to include a rover.
>>
>>7967888
>>7967891
>60 miles of water
Doesn't this alone kill off arguments for life? What can withstand this pressure? May as well look for life on Venus.
>>
>>7966708
>If there is any life at all it basically confirms that the universe is teeming with it, who cares how complex it is
Nobody really cares if the universe is teeming with microbial life, we want sexy aliens.
>>
>>7965425
You also need high energy density to get reactions going, as well as a whole load of other things.
>>
File: cNl6o2F.jpg (55 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
cNl6o2F.jpg
55 KB, 500x667
>>7966750
>. If life exists everywhere, then we should see evidence of intelligent lifeforms, but we do not.
Lol, no.

>The most likely option is that intelligent lifeforms kill themselves off.
The most likely option is that the universe is so big (in both time and space) that we just haven't bumped into anyone yet.
The inverse square law neatly explains the "great silence".
Even if Earth has been visited a million times since it's been here, that's still only one visit every 4600 years on average.
So once, maybe twice in all of recorded history.
If anyone's building Von Neumann probes (and nobody is hunting them down and destroying them), then they're likely to be very stealthy. Harvesting local natural resources is bound to be seen as a hostile act, plus the builders probably don't want random locals getting their hands on the technology in the probes.
Hell, we're still discovering new dwarf planets, objects hundred mile in diameter.
But "oh noes, where are all the aliens???"....
>>
>>7967897
Extremophiles, I suppose. Some species of tardigrade can survive 6000 atm, and some rough calculations show the pressure at 62 miles down is roughly 9900 atm. Maybe something could survive?
>>
File: Cxjd7Xh.jpg (119 KB, 500x519) Image search: [Google]
Cxjd7Xh.jpg
119 KB, 500x519
>>7967861
>Goddamn, fuck NASA. What the fuck are they doing, playing with themselves?
You do know that Medicare "improper payments" (accidental payments that should not have been made) cost us almost THREE TIMES as much as NASA's entire budget?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.