[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If mathematicians and engineers are so smart, why do they need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1459120586894.jpg (104 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
1459120586894.jpg
104 KB, 500x415
If mathematicians and engineers are so smart, why do they need calculators and computer programs to do all the hard work?
>>
>>7965192
>if farmers are so smart, why do to they use plows instead of their bear hands to do all the hard work?
>>
>>7965192
The stuff that calculators and computers do is the stuff that's so easy that a machine can do it, there's no point wasting time doing that work by hand.
>>
>>7965192
Before calculators they used female math majors to do tedious calculations.
>>
>>7965216
The reverse is also true though. Solving difficult complex non-linear systems is impossible by hand so you have to simulate it and even though you know the algorithm you can't do the calcuations in your life time.
>>
>>7965208
hearty kek, my friend
>>
>>7965208
bear hands lmao
BEAR HANDS
>>
File: 2016-03-12 11.09.56.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-12 11.09.56.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>smart
We are not smart. We are normal intelectual developed humans. It's just that non erudites are fucking dumb, they make us look smart.
>>
>>7965216
BTFO'D BY
>>7965225
>>
>>7965225
Well yeah, you approximate it by breaking down into a bunch of easy steps (the algorithm) that are simple enough for a computer to do. Technically you can do it by hand but, like you said, it takes way too long so again the computer is to do the tedious stuff quickly. It's not that we can't do it and computers can, it's that it's impossible to do usefully without some high order approximations which we know how to do but computers can do faster because they don't do anything else.

I'd argue the hard part there is coming up with the algorithm in the first place.

>>7965272
Not really, he basically described a situation which illustrated my point.
>>
>>7965310
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7965192
>if they are smart, why did they invented something that works for them
That is the definition of being smart
>>
File: moottheanimatedseries.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
moottheanimatedseries.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>7965443
If you think about it algebra, Cartesian coordinates, and arabic numerals are all just a way for brainlets to visualize math so we don't have to be a genius like Euclid to solve problems.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.