[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if you plug a volcano?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: pantone-minion-color.jpg (37 KB, 708x501) Image search: [Google]
pantone-minion-color.jpg
37 KB, 708x501
What would happen if you plug a volcano?
>>
>>7965167
Ever heard of the Mount St. Helens eruption?
>>
>>7965167
it would un-plug itself by erupting explosively

most volcanism is caused by hotspots / mantle plumes, which is not something humanity is capable of doing anything about
>>
the earth would explode
>>
Are you familiar with the very technical term "shart" ?
>>
Ask your mother. I plugged her volcano last night if you know what I mean.
>>
>>7966631
>if you know what I mean
I don't anon, can you please elaborate
>>
>>7966656
im gay
>>
>>7965167
If you plug a volcano it'll just build up more pressure and result in a more explosive eruption.
If you want to prevent an eruption, then plugging it is literally the worst thing you can possibly do.
Most volcanoes are plugged, covered by the mountain they're in. The pressure builds up until it breaks free violently. These eruptions are called explosive eruptions. They look like ash clouds. Unplugged volcanoes are the ones with red lava showers, lava pools and lava rivers, like Hawaii.
Volcanic Explosivity Index is a nice scale to measure the power of a volcano. VEI for short. It ranges from 0-8.
VEI - volume of ash released - description
0 - <10,000m3 - Effusive eruption
1 - >10,000m3 - Gentle eruption
2 - >1,000,000m3 - Explosive eruption
3 - >10,000,000m3 - Catastrophic eruption
4 - >0.1km3 - Cataclysmic eruption
5 - >1km3 - Paroxysmic eruption
6 - >10km3 - Colossal eruption
7 - >100km3 - Super-colossal eruption
8 - >1000km3 - Mega-colossal eruption

Most recent VEI8 eruption: Taupo (24500 BC)
VEI7: Tambora (1815)
VEI6: Pinatubo (1991)
VEI5: Puyehue-Cordon Caulle (2011)ยจ

Pinatubo's VEI6 eruption is the largest volcanic eruption there exists footage of.
It was an amazing sight for sure, here's a great documentary of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMe0VPQftsc

Mount St. Helens was a 5 btw
>>
>>7966684
If you wanna skip right to the main action, the main eruption starts at 7:17
>>
>>7965185
What if the plug is like really fucking heavy?
>>
>>7966684
not OP but
perhaps there is hope for /sci/

thanks
>>
>>7965167
the earth itself would become very anxious, and eventually depressed
>>
>>7966907
then it would explode even harder or just find a path around the plug like Mt. St. Helens
>>
>>7966907
When Krakatau exploded it launched a few cubic kilometers of rock high up into the atmosphere with a force greater than the sum total of all nuclear weapons ever made.

You do not want a heavy plug. Oh no.
>>
>>7968301
Krakatau was a fucking beast.
The entire fucking mountain caved in and sent out a shockwave so loud it broke windows all the way down in Australia.
The pyroclastic flows crossed the water and buried neighboring islands in ash.
>>
>>7966940
it might even start to shitpost
>>
>>7965167
It'd make a new volcano on the side of the first one.
>>
>>7968595
The crazy thing is that it's still active
>>
>>7966684
Hawaiian volcanoes don't explode as a consequence of their basaltic magma though. Wouldn't plugging it just lead to causing a faster release from connected vents?
>>
>>7968735
If you plugged a volcano perfectly, it plug everything below too. Thus, that section would no longer be so thin and full of fissures as to erupt. It'd just make another volcano through that stuff at where ever the weakest point it. However, OP seems to want to put a big cork in the top and call it a day. In that scenario, it would merely vent out around the cork.

The only way to undo a volcano is to lift the crust up to create an area of lower pressure underneath. That too may only be a temporary fix.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.