[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the world isn't deterministic when math is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: ss.jpg (93 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
93 KB, 960x639
How come the world isn't deterministic when math is?
>>
>>7964945
Because math is based on logic.
And logic breaks down on the quantum scale.
>>
>>7964945
Who says the world isnt deterministic? Its an open question at this point

>>7964952
>And logic breaks down on the quantum scale.
Our understanding breaks down at that scale, not necessarily the underlying logic
>>
>>7964945
>How come the world isn't deterministic

>implying
>>
>>7964955
>Its an open question at this point
Only in the sense that any given knowledge may be wrong and need revising.
For all we know, gravity is made of pixie dust and whipped cream.
But as nearly as we can tell, as confirmed by experimental evidence, the universe is NOT deterministic.
And the various "interpretations" are NOT science, they are an attempt to reconcile factual observation with certain people's emotional need for ordnung.
>>
>>7964945
>math is deterministic

What does that even mean?
>>
>>7964986
>>math is deterministic
>What does that even mean?
2+2 always equals 4, never watermelon or 17.
I suspect Opie didn't get past high school algebra.
>>
The world is deterministic, it's just that there's so many little details that can completely change the outcond (the butterfly effect) that it's unpredictable
>>
>>7965001
*outcome
>>
It might as well be deterministic, we don't know if it is or isn't. It certainly works deterministically on the macro scale.
>>
File: redpanda_05.jpg (138 KB, 710x408) Image search: [Google]
redpanda_05.jpg
138 KB, 710x408
>>7964994
>I suspect Opie didn't get past high school algebra.
Actually I'll be getting my mechanical engineering degree later this year
>>
>>7964977
>But as nearly as we can tell, as confirmed by experimental evidence, the universe is NOT deterministic.
Really? I'd be interested to hear how you can prove randomness.
>>
>>7965013
>Really? I'd be interested to hear how you can prove randomness.
QM isn't about "randomness".
But the result of the interaction of even two particles can not be determined by the state of the particles before the interaction/collision.
But /sci/ HATES things like free will, stochasm, QM etc because they mean there are some unanswerable questions.
>>
>>7965010
you are among the few people who think that proofs exist even when humans are not alive, just like other people claim that god exists, even when humans are not alive.

This is some baby tier philosophy you embrace.
>>
>>7965047
>humans are not alive
dude lmao go easy on the kush okay?
>>
>>7965026
Free will doesn't exist regardless of how QM works.
>>
>>7965112
This is correct, whatever happens at a qm will not change the fact there is only one situation that would cause the next
>>
>implying God doesn't play dice
>>
>>7964952
>he thinks classical logic breaks down on the quantum scale
this is how you spot someone who doesn't know about quarks
>>
File: 1265635981800.jpg (32 KB, 400x251) Image search: [Google]
1265635981800.jpg
32 KB, 400x251
>>7965112
>>7965115
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>7964994
>I suspect Opie didn't get past high school algebra

No doubt you're right, but surely the concept of probability is introduced even in elementary school?
>>
>>7965069
He was stating when under a condition, autist
>>
Because math doesn't have anything to do with the world ?
Also, how do you know it is not ?
>>
>>7965157
not now steve
>>
>>7964945

The universe could be deterministic for all we know, but because we cannot understand or predict every single possible factor in a real-world phenomenon we are forced to treat it as stochastic.
>>
>>7964945
BP?
>>7965115
>>7965112
Read a fucking book
>>
>>7964977
What are you talking about? The only thing in the universe that has a chance of not being deterministic is quantum level events, and we barely understand how they work at all
>>
>>7966083
Wouldn't that imply that everything else is also non-deterministic?
>>
File: godel_kurt1.jpg (34 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
godel_kurt1.jpg
34 KB, 282x400
>an entire thread that has never heard about this man

He starved himself to death for your sins, anons, and this is how you repay him?

>sage goes in all fields
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.