[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever reach a stopping point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
When all science and math related questions are answered
What will the point of life be?
>>
File: godel.jpg (14 KB, 250x354) Image search: [Google]
godel.jpg
14 KB, 250x354
>>7964856
provably never
>>
>>7964859
Then there will always be a point to life.
>>
>>7964860
there already was
>>
File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49 KB, 310x459) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49 KB, 310x459
>>7964860
whatever

you can make that conclusion if you want

and i reserve the right to call you a faggot

also
> predicating so hard
> predicating that meaning to life has and does exist
>>
>>7964860

no you don't understand what the "provably never" part meant

there are some questions that are true that cannot be proven, given any fixed set of axioms (satisfying some basic criteria). there is literally no point in pursuing these questions in this case

so, im summary
> answer all answerable questions
> we know all remaining questions cannot be answered
> no more point to life
> suicide of OP
>>
>>7964868

>there are some questions that are true that cannot be proven, given any fixed set of axioms

this was sloppily worded. i meant that any fixed set of axioms will generate questions that are true and yet are unprovable (from those axioms)
>>
>>7964859

Use all the knowledge we have to make ur lives better until all the human beings die with that knowledge (or until all the races that can be discovered when trying to response scientific questions died too in a form that any way of life can have the knowledge) and then finish everything.
>>
>>7964877
> implying 1) we won't blow ourselves up before that
> implying 2) we won't connect our minds into a single human-computer hybrid long before "all knowledge" is attained

entropy is increasing. as long as entropy increases there will always be more knowledge to be gained

enjoy the heat death
>>
>>7964856
Art and humanities will come and fill the void, and religion will raise our spirits.

It will be a great time when we can finally address the problems of our world without the distractions of shiny new tech spawned from new science.
>>
>>7964898
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>7964901
It is not bait, it is the truth.

How many countless times have we had some problem come along, yet rather then address it we hold off for some new technology to solve it for us. Often solving one and creating another or more.

Don't misunderstand me. I like the huge wealth of technology we have, but how we send it is completely messed up because we are never bounded long enough to learn to use what we have properly. If science stopped discovering new things all the time then we could slow down and learn to better use what we have in far more productive a fulling ways.

Our civilization would not be measured by what percentage of the local star's energy output we use, but by how happy and fulfilled the citizens lives are.
>>
>>7964916
>religion
>good

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
File: latest-4.jpg (84 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
latest-4.jpg
84 KB, 600x375
>>7964916
>tfw when the Emprah couldn't reach type III
>tfw about to be BLAM'D for heresy
Sacred feth
>>
>>7964856
>>
>>7964856
When we have a good enough model and the computing power to predict that you will ask that question.
>>
>>7964856
The point of life is already to build and create things. Make babies or music or writing or conversation. Things like science and math questions all have answers and we as humans are using those answers as tools to further our own agendas. We'll always be able to ask the question, "Can we make this better by changing something?" so we'll always have questions. Quests. There are always quests. Pick a direction and quest on.
>>
>>7964916
That picture is pretty depressing desu. Too bad we will never see a Type 2 or 3 civilization in our life times
>>
>>7964916
When this pic says a Type 3 harnesses energy from all resources of the galaxy, does it mean just bascially going to different planets and siphoning off all its resources til theres nothing left or something else.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 400x400
>>7964865
is "predicating" the new "implying" meme?
>>
>>7965983
>predicating
>>
We don't need to be smart enough to solve all the questions of the universe. We just need to be smart enough to build sentient machines that outperform the human mind in almost every aspect to do the thinking for us.

Maybe that's what the "great filter" in the fermi paradox is. Species too dumb to build shit smarter than them will eventually stagnate and become irrelevant within the grand scheme of the universe.

It looks like humanity should be able to build these kinds of machines within the next 100 years or so which is pretty much when shit's gonna get interesting.
>>
File: 1436530454436.png (552 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1436530454436.png
552 KB, 900x900
>>7966617

> being this full of yourself
>>
>>7965930

one could show up tomorrow and whisk us away.

>Your race has potential. Those who wish to work for us, we will take you across the stars

Would you go?
>>
Tye point in life will be to not die. Not everyone is going to want that to happen, so everything will go on to help make sure everyone survives and continues the race.
>>
>>7964868
>there are some questions that are true that cannot be proven
One of those questions probably is "have we answered all answerable questions?"

So, we're never done
>>
>>7967096
> probably
> makes predicated claim following `probably'

op pls
>>
>>7964859
Well done, first post.
>>
>not realizing that life is just some artifact of the way the universe works
it's literally just some little meme formation that spread reproduced and spread
>>
File: 6Wv1jc1.jpg (464 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
6Wv1jc1.jpg
464 KB, 800x800
>>7968415
>>7968415
>>7968415
> The world is really a flat plate supported on a giant meme
> But what is the meme resting on?
> It's memes all the way down
>>
>>7968483
> The world is really just a mongolian basket weaving forum resting on a giant meme
>>
>>7964856
We are unlike to reach that point for two reasons:
1: first of all the knowledge event horizon will be a cutoff
2: if humanity is evolving still (sometimes I just don't know...) then the inhabitants on Earth will no longer be us as in Homo Sapiens but something else, like Homo Futurensis.
>>
Can every any order polynomial even be solved algorithmically?
I hope I'm not shitposting............................. im pretty sure no
>>
>>7969856
5th order poynomials might never be soved and those above
>>
>>7964856
Poon
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.