[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future technologies you want to see become real soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: riftcv1.jpg (371 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
riftcv1.jpg
371 KB, 1920x1080
VR is finally here. I never thought it would be but it happened.

What will be the next "future technology" to finally arrive (as in, a polished worthwhile consumer product rather than just a stunt/demo)

Personal humanoid home robots? Personal VTOL? A lab on Mars? An underwater colony? Cities in Antarctica? Consumer gene editing?
>>
>>7964779
What the fuck? How old are you? This technology has existed for decades, it just wasn't commercialized successfully.
>>
>>7964782

Read the post more carefully. This time do not just skim and take away the gist, but pay attention to qualifiers.
>>
>>7964779
>Personal VTOL

People have been able to buy helicopters for decades. Hell, a Bell 47G was only 52k new inc engines
>>
>>7964813

Alright, but I meant something like the terrafugia which can more or less drive itself and park in a normal garage.
>>
>>7964779
New New Orleans - Pirate District, it will be like Kowloon times Rife's Raft plus Somalia.
>>
>>7964779
This isn't real VR. This is just two screens on face, it's just Virtual Boy with better color palette.
Proper VR would probably require direct neural input and output, and while we made some progress, we're still far from that.
>>
>>7964949
I always imagine VR goggles and a harness with sensors and actuators that can know where you move and exert force back when necessary.

Much more viable than direct neural connection. Would double as a game and a way of making working out and training for all kinds of things more fun and safe.
>>
Star Trek type holodeck.

Of course I'd only use it to visit sherwood forest or 19th century San Francisco and not anything perverted and sexual.
>>
>>7964949
Massive success in goggles based VR will hasten the development or real VR by a fucking ton. People would get weirded out by neural VR today; they will look at it in a positive way after years of using more and more perfected goggles VR.
>>
>>7964779
Can't wait for my waifu android.

>>7964962
>I always imagine VR goggles and a harness with sensors and actuators that can know where you move and exert force back when necessary.
I think it would be mostly impractical and we will just have to wait for neural interfaces.
Just like when there was a hype that in the future we will have flying cars, but now we know it's impractical, you just use cars for moving on land and big airplanes for traveling far away, and eventual small personal plane if you really want to fly privately.
>>
>>7964779

None. I couldn't care less. I'd be happy with a textbook and a plank for a bed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.