[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This differential equation gives a better approximation of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: better gravity.png (6 KB, 322x183) Image search: [Google]
better gravity.png
6 KB, 322x183
This differential equation gives a better approximation of a falling object due to gravity, can anyone please solve this? Either wolfram alpha is being a bitch or maybe this is impossible...
>>
>>7964489
tungstenalpha.com
>>
>>7964491
it's an actual site..
>>
>>7964489
Have you tried with a change of variables?
>>
>>7964489
wolfram spit out a fuckey answer

(y(x)*sqrt(c1-a/y(x))/c1 + log.... = (c2+x)^2
>>
The trick to doing these kinds of integrations by hand is to multiply both sides by y'--then each is an easy derivative. After that the integration isn't entirely trivial, but is standard.
Just look up trajectories/orbits in central force problems. Conservations laws/etc. are more useful in the general case--as you might've guessed gravitational orbits are highly sensitive to initial conditions.
>>
File: 1458410520992.jpg (178 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1458410520992.jpg
178 KB, 1024x1024
>>7964616
>The trick to doing these kinds of integrations by hand is to multiply both sides by y'--then each is an easy derivative.
What the actual fuck are you taking about?
Do you know what a second order differential equation is?
>>
File: 1419529275373.png (16 KB, 291x300) Image search: [Google]
1419529275373.png
16 KB, 291x300
>>7964642

This equation can easily be solved the chain rule, you fucknut.

The result isn't even interesting op. All you get a conservative field like everybody fucking knows.

God fucking sci YOU'RE ALL FUCKING STOOPPEDDDDDDDDDDDDD

GET OFF MY BOARD

FUCKING NORMIES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7964642
>I am an idiot who says idiotic things so I assume everyone else does the same
>>
>>7964663
Not Op, but I'm interested in how to solve this, care to explain a bit?
>>
>>7964489
y double prime is the time derivative, yes?
So I get
y = (6 * G * M * t^2) ^ (1/4)
>>
>>7964489
there is no hope
kill yourself
>>
>>7964647
No need to be an asshole, I bet you were born knowing differential equations...
>>
>>7964715

>taking the bait

Look d^2y/dt^2 = dv/dt = dv/dy x dy/dt = v dv/dy, seperate the variables and integrate normally.

>>
>>7964489

just for you
>>
>>7964489
>>7964798

pt 2
>>
>>7964489
You will not find a nice solution for y(t). The 'correct' (read: less insane) way to approach this is, oddly enough, to solve for t(y) instead.

>>7964723 is how you would start. Eventually you are going to realise that this is really just equating the kinetic energy at any point during the fall to the loss of gravitational potential energy incurred so far from the fall. Along the way you should find yourself confronted with this expression [eqn]\mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2G}}\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\sqrt{\tfrac{1}{y}-\tfrac{1}{y_0}}}[/eqn]This one is easily solved. Nonetheless, as you might have already noticed, solving this gives you the time as a function of y. Anyway if you are too lazy to perform the integration Wikipedia actually gives you the answer here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fall#Inverse-square_law_gravitational_field It also suggests that you recover y(t) from t(y) via Lagrange's inversion theorem, which in my opinion is not such a bad idea, given how futile Wolfram Alpha's efforts were at trying to solve your differential equation directly. The fact that y(t) comes out as an ugly series already suggests that solving directly for y(t) is not going to work in the first place.

It is worth pointing out that the problem encapsulated by your equation was first tackled by Newton under Problem 24 (Proposition 32) in the first book of the Principia. Newton likewise solved for the free-fall time t(y) instead of y(t) and he arrived at his result very elegantly in standard geometric fashion (without any calculus in fact). It is far more concise and beautiful than what is outlined above, and if I could draw efficiently on this board I would definitely be presenting his solution instead. I highly recommend reading his proof if you are sufficiently interested.
>>
>>7964798
>>7964799

it should be y'' = Gm/y^2, not y'' = Gm/y
>>
>>7964866

> muh newton's geometry proof is so beautiful

suicide is an option
>>
File: wtffoghorn.jpg (12 KB, 236x173) Image search: [Google]
wtffoghorn.jpg
12 KB, 236x173
>>7964489
>wanting a "better approximation"
>using newtonian gravity

>gravity is assumed to be the only force acting on the object
>drag exist, even in space

>G is constant
>accurate

Please let this be for studying/homework
>>
File: 1449890687955.jpg (34 KB, 972x834) Image search: [Google]
1449890687955.jpg
34 KB, 972x834
>>7964919
>>>drag exist, even in space
>>
>>7964921
>not knowing about solar wind
>>
>>7964798
except the y(x) in the RHS of OPs problem was squared
>>
File: wutthefug.jpg (25 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
wutthefug.jpg
25 KB, 600x337
>>7964921
>space is a perfect vacuum, cosmic dust is a myth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_dust
>>
>>7965433
This is neat, going to try the pool of water thing sometime to catch some space dust.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.