[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for help with solving these types of problems. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Looking for help with solving these types of problems. It's not homework, I'm not in school. I'm not asking for specific answers I just really want to know how to solve these types of problems. Inb4 Google, tried it, the explanations are NOT showing me how they get to the answer. I'm retarded obviously, please help. Thanks.
>>
>It's not homework, I'm not in school.
Moshi moshi, baito-desu.
>>
Brainlets; when will they learn?
>>
>>7964381
I have a master's degree dude, but not in math. I have no grades to worry about. Didn't ask for answers. Asked for how does one solve these TYPES of problems. Is it really that fucking hard to believe? The fuck.
>>
>>7964384
does your mom know you're on the internet?
>>
>>7964385
ya
>>
File: graph_cos_pi.gif (9 KB, 488x312) Image search: [Google]
graph_cos_pi.gif
9 KB, 488x312
Okay, take a look at pic related...

You want to find the value of x for which the cosine of x is -0.78 in the range where x is between 0 and 2*pi.

By observation, you see that there are two values of x for which this is true and that these two values are symmetric around x = pi

Start by finding the arc cosine of -0.78

Take a scientific calculator, enter -0.78
If you are using calc.exe in windows under the View -> Scientific option, you will see a checkbox labelled "Inv", for inverse. Check that box.

Select the radio button marked Radians. We do this because the range was from 0 to 2*pi. If the range was given as 0 to 360 degrees, we would have selected Degrees

Then click the button labelled 'cos', which is short for cosine.

The result given is x = 2.46546, etc.

This is the first value of x in radians for which the cosine = -0.78

To find the second value, find the value pi - the first value of x and add that value to pi.

pi - x + pi, or 2*pi -x

Which in this case is 2*pi - 2.46546, etc.

x = approximately 3.8177

I hope this helps!
>>
>>7964498

I might be belaboring the obvious, but the Inv cos sequence returns the arc cosine - the inverse cosine, if you like, of -0.78 in this example above.

If you enter 2.46546, etc. and then click cos, that is equivalent to:

cos(2.46546, etc) which will give a value as close to -0.78 as you enter more of the numbers past the decimal point.
>>
>>7964363

The interval being states in terms of pi means its in radians

Convert the radians to degrees and it will be more intuitive

2pi = 360 degrees

So you want the degree X such that cos(x) = -0.78

Look at the UNIT CIRCLE

You know that cos is negative between 90 and 270 degrees so that gives you a range

You know that in this range, cos will equal -0.78 twice, because the range covers two quadrants (the top left and bottom left)

Solving for X with a calculator gives you 141 degrees

You know this is in the top left quadrant

If you mirror this around the X axis, you will get the angle in the bottom left quadrant

To do this, just find the difference between X and 180, then add that difference to 180 (since the x axis is 180 degrees)

Now you have your two solutions, convert both back to radians
>>
File: real.jpg (79 KB, 1012x712) Image search: [Google]
real.jpg
79 KB, 1012x712
>>7964509
>>
>>7965017

Using degrees
>>
>>7964363
pi and 2pi, since those are the only (cutie)pies in there. And if your x is not a cutiepie then you should question your judgement.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.