[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biochem + ______?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Bioengie.jpg (178 KB, 620x443) Image search: [Google]
Bioengie.jpg
178 KB, 620x443
Any Biochem double majors here? I want to go into Neuroscience and so I'm heavily considering a Biochem + Psychology double major.

I think that a biological science + social science combo would be nice because I could actually get a good job and be prepared for medical school with Biochem, but then also have a better understanding of the mind and be a bit more socially well-rounded with Psych.

Other than Psychology I'm not sure. I kind of want to minor in Economics because I've been told that's an all-around good thing to have an understanding in. But in terms of a full-blown other major, I can't exactly decide and might just do biochem independently to get done in four years.

What have you guys done, or would do?
>>
>>7963897
>double majoring
>double majoring in a social science + a natural science
lol
>>
>>7963909
???
Elaborate on why this is a bad idea?
>>
>>7963897
Bump
>>
>>7963897
Somewhat on-topic, do you pay extra money for double-majoring? I'm not in the U.S.
>>
>>7963959
Not necessarily. You just cram the classes for one major in as electives.

You do however pay extra if you're forced to take an extra year(s) other than the four to finish your second major.
>>
It seems like a bad idea if you want to get to med school, generally speaking you want your GPA inflated as fuck.
>>
File: 1449015305403.jpg (126 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449015305403.jpg
126 KB, 500x500
>double major in chem/neuro, about to graduate
>really good at both, but not the best
>will never be the best at anything
>will always feel a glass ceiling on my chemistry because I had to skip materials and quantum
>will always feel a glass ceiling on my neuro because I had to skip computational

It's a bittersweet flavour familia
>>
>>7963897
biochem major here.

picking a major "for medical school" was the worst possible thing you, and everyone else who is premed, could have done. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone engineering and just decided if I wanted to apply to med school at the end. There is a shit job market for B.Sc. chemists right now, and its PhD or die.
>>
>>7963909
>Biochemistry and Dramatic Art double major
Pretty sure you just can't handle having to be proficient in multiple disciplines that are unalike.

OP I was in the same boat as you. Coming out of high school I wanted to go to med school and also really liked AP chemistry so I figured I'd do biochemistry. But I also did theatre so I figured I would double major.

Then I got too heavily involved with theatre and got deep into my biochem classes and I realized I fucking hate the people in science and medicine and discovered a love of design. Now I'm ditching the med school idea and pursuing theatre but I'm still going to finish up my biochem degree because I'm very close to finishing.

You should definitely double major. I hope it helps you potentially figure out what you are truly passionate about. If you figure out you like something else, you can use it to your advantage as a way to be able to discipline yourself.
>>
>>7963914
Your time is better spent learning how to do actual, useful research instead of dicking around in freshman writing classes. I have an entire semester to master basic techniques and figure out my workflow, so when I go to gradschool I won't be a fucking deadweight
>>
>>7963897
If you want to get accepted into a doctoral program then get a good gpa, good GRE scores, and the most important thing research. You're best bet is to do an honor's thesis, find a significant result, and your backgroud in biochem will carry you the rest of the way. Don't double major unless you're really passionate about psychology, just take the relevant psy courses as electives
>>
OP, I doubled in chem and molecular biology in undergrad, graduated five years ago. (Went to liberal arts school, didn't offer biochem major.) Worked for a few years as a research associate/lab tech in some industry and academic labs, then went back to start a PhD program in 2014.

>>7963897
>but then also have a better understanding of the mind and be a bit more socially well-rounded with Psych
>be a bit more socially well-rounded with Psych

No one gives a shit after you graduate and get into the working world or go to grad school. If you want a career in research, your research experience as an undergrad will be the biggest factor in determining what sorts of jobs you can get. I think you'd be much better off spending the time in lab, rather than taking fine arts or social sciences or whatever classes.

If you want to double major for a more broad background, I would say applied mathematics. A more quantitative background will only help.

If you go to med school, no one gives a shit about your major, but you sure as hell don't need to spend your time and effort going through biophysical chem, analytical chem, bioinorganic chem, etc. Just get that GPA up with psych classes.
>>
>>7963897
>double majors here?

why do you people do this? not long ago there was a guy who had paid heed to some morons here and decided to do a double major in maths and physics, he failed both, monumentally and was considering *surprise* suicide
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.