[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we know how efficient our bodies are converting food into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: home_systems_biology_pic.jpg (42 KB, 700x371) Image search: [Google]
home_systems_biology_pic.jpg
42 KB, 700x371
Do we know how efficient our bodies are converting food into energy or that excess energy into stored fat?

Any time one form of energy is converted to another there is a loss of some kind, like generating electricity from an IC petrol engine, only ~30% of the energy gets converted.

Are the joules from food the amount of joules our body see's? or is it the amount of energy that is stored in that food?
>>
our body uses enzymes - shit that puts chemists to shame.
>>
In some of the cycling forums, I have read food calories to work calories is 15-25 percent efficiency. I am in mobile....Check Google.
>>
>>7962773
all i can seem to find on google is calorie calculators and shit about losing weight... Dont suppose anybody knows of any real papers or journals or anything on the subject?
>>
>>7962752
lmgtfy.com/?q=efficiency+of+cellular+respiration
Literally the first result.
>>
>>7962849
thanks
didn't know what i was searching for
>"calorie energy change" "food to energy" all that kinda shit returned mom science on me
>>
So supposedly 40% of the calories in glucose actually go into the usable calories in ATP, the other 60% is wasted as heat
Does that mean if i ate 100 kcal of glucose, my body would only really see 40kcal?
Where does the storage of said energy come into play?
>>
Or are calories, when linked with food, already taking that into account and 100kcal is what my body would see AFTER the 60% is lost?
>>
>>7962752
If I cut out 1kg of fat from my stomach and eat it, how much fat will I loose/gain in the process?
>>
>>7963040
Depends on how much fat your intestine can absorb at once, wether or not you have a healthy gallbladder and a proper bilirrubin synthesis, and on your nutritional state.
>>
>>7962784
Try using a proper search engine like PubMed if you're interested on human metabolism for instance, or universities
>>
>>7962985
> wasted as heat
As opposed to freezing to death?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.