[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
from a brain/neurologic point of view, what makes some people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: family_1954692c.jpg (19 KB, 171x287) Image search: [Google]
family_1954692c.jpg
19 KB, 171x287
from a brain/neurologic point of view, what makes some people so confident?
>>
>>7959564
I know confidence is an illusion if one were to think about it. It is a fallacy.
>>
we aren't anywhere near explaining social behavior from a brain/neurologic point of view. but i used to be the /r9k/ type and now i'm always hanging out at bars, feeling comfortable at concerts, and getting girls' numbers, and this is how i understand confidence.

we are social animals, and in social situations people are always looking at each other and exchanging social cues. being confident is mostly a matter of faking it until you actually become slightly delusional. people have no idea what is going on in your head, so if you just act like you're the shit and don't overdo it, people will perceive confidence. if you slip up, just own up to your mistake and move on. and that's the best you can do, really.

but if you meant like "how do people end up like douchebags in this pic" i believe some people only surround themselves with likeminded sycophants and they end up being overconfident to some extreme, which results in odd fashion choices and the like. again, confidence is a kind of delusion.
>>
>>7959564
hormones have a lot to do with it, too.
>>
>>7959564
What kind of confidence? I am pretty confident with my math skills because I have spent a lot of time doing it. I am pretty confident with women because they sleep with me. I am pretty confident with my social skills because people laugh when I say things. I am not confident with my artistic abilities because I can hardly read my own handwriting sometimes.
>>
>>7959564
Giving love and encouragement to an infant as they grow. Fostering their sense of self; letting them make their own choices about simple everyday things like which way you're going to walk that day, or what clothes they want to wear. Giving them as much independence as is safe and appropriate. Not making *them* wrong when you have to correct them, but letting them know their *behaviour* wasn't optimal. Stress and anxiety have been shown to reduce self-esteem. Short list but hugely important.

Guessing these make a difference in ways which would show up on functional mri's, all kinds of stuff has been researched nowadays, though I haven't looked any up myself.
>>
>>7959592
That guy is dressed pretty normally for what is obviously some sort of outdoors family event/wedding.

I don't know why douchebags like you are so confident in calling everyone else a douchebag for no valid reason.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.