[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MEMS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: mems-AGS-TECH.jpg (33 KB, 478x384) Image search: [Google]
mems-AGS-TECH.jpg
33 KB, 478x384
What are the most common techniques for production on the nano scale and how could they develop in the future?

how long until it will be affordable to manifacture MEMS for the individual?
>>
Suicide
>>
>>7958739
how many memes u want?
>>
>>7958739
>how long until it will be affordable to manifacture MEMS for the individual?

You have to understand that even if it was affordable for an individual to manufacture MEMS you'd still have to deal with scaling effects. So it's unlikely an individual would have much use for them at this point.
>>
>>7958739
lithography, we're hitting the limits of it soon. MEMS are microscale devices not nanoscale.

>>Affordable
You probably own a device with MEMS accelerometers or gyroscopes. These devices are cheap.

BTW your pic related is very interesting, it's a microlock designed for safing nuclear weapons. You see those squiggly things in the top right? Those are a binary maze. The device moves a pin through a maze, at each branch the pin is moved up(1) or down (0). If the incorrect sequence of 1s and zeros is entered, the pin gets stuck in the maze and the device jams up preventing the bomb from going off
>>
File: mems-mirror.jpg (54 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
mems-mirror.jpg
54 KB, 550x413
>>7958785

thanks for the only serious answer

>Lithography

OK I learned this craft as antique manifacturing method in a old printing facility near my hometown

So I guess on the microscale the masks are being laser cut and the rest is a chemical process?

but may I ask how nanomachines are produces then? isn't lithography coming with a grain too?
>>
File: RF_MEMS_FABRICATION_PROCESS.png (90 KB, 663x706) Image search: [Google]
RF_MEMS_FABRICATION_PROCESS.png
90 KB, 663x706
>>7958830
>>So I guess on the microscale the masks are being laser cut and the rest is a chemical process?

Pretty much yes. They are made the same way we make computer chips. You etch material, deposit a new layer, etch it, repeat until you have a MEMS device.

There are a bunch of other fabrication processes, but they aren't that common as lithography

>>how nanomachines are produces then?
nanomachines aren't produced. Notice how the scale bar is in micrometers
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.