[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of jobs can you get with a math major? Or what jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 1442132091878.gif (232 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1442132091878.gif
232 KB, 500x281
What kind of jobs can you get with a math major? Or what jobs do you any of you with a maths degree have? I'm studying math but considering switching to computer science for a good job.
>>
I majored in math and minored in Comp Sci and was afforded the same job opportunities as the Comp Sci majors with the only difference being I'm not cucked if I want to go for more education or transition careers.

This is probably bait anyways.
>>
The only math major I know has a PhD in math and work in risk management at an investment bank.
>>
>>7958277
"Quant" is a pretty common job for math majors.

>>7958277
>This is probably bait anyways.
Yeah but at least we made it three posts in before >300k starting
>>
>>7958280
This isn't bait, just hoping for others to share their experience with their careers.
>>7958292
>quant
What do you mean by this?
>>
File: spidermonitoring.jpg (22 KB, 360x257) Image search: [Google]
spidermonitoring.jpg
22 KB, 360x257
>>7958297
anon means "quantitative analyst". i'm graduating with a maths degree in ~6 weeks and have been trying to get a quant job myself rn
>>
>>7958315
What do you know about the "quant way"?

I'm doing pure math and I'm pretty sure I want to be a quant, so if you are a nice person and not a douche can you pls tell me what to do?

Do I have to do some kind of study ex. programming pass some kind of examen, proof my worth somehow?
>>
>>7958277
I really wish I had taken some stats classes and more compsci as an undergrad, but I don't regret doing a math major.
>>
My high calc teacher had a math degree. And the guy who sized my shoes did as well. Terrific people who did an excellent job. It seems a math major prepared them well.
>>
>>7958277
$500k starting
>>
>>7958647
any job we want
>>
>>7958315
>>7958292
Only grads from top 5 schools become quants really.

>>7958549
>Being nice
That's code for weak/poor social skills/loser. Become a primary teacher or something. The real world isn't for you.
>>
>>7958566
And what career are you in?
>>
>>7958277
If you are a math major, switching to CS is retarded.

I am a math major working as a programmer.

What I'm saying is that a degree in mathematics is more than enough to get you a job in software, as long as you know the essentials.

Furthermore, the other people working in the programming department are a computer engineer, IT technical degree and a software engineer.

The company doesn't hire CS majors, or at least they haven't yet, for what I can see. It makes sense to me though, I would only hire a CS major if there was no other alternative, and there is good number of math majors and software engineer majors around.
>>
>>7958669
What about a double major? This would give me an edge over other applicants right?
>>
>>7958685
I would personally never double major because to me the idea of paying double the money and investing double my time to get 2 bachelors degree is retarded. Both degrees are literally worth the same.

I'd compare it to being drowning and someone passes you a floater and that single floater will help you just fine but then someone passes you a second one and of course, you aren't drowning either but that second floater wasn't really necessary.

But if you hate your life and are settled on the idea of not having a social life for the next 4 years of your life then at least do not double major in CS.

CS is a subset of math, what you do in math + some programming solo learning will allow you to perform just as well.

So instead of CS, double major in computer engineering or electrical engineering, so that you actually compliment your theoretical education with an actual applied component.
>>
>>7958660
japanese
>>
>>7958698
>what you do in math + some programming solo learning will allow you to perform just as well.

Last time I checked software engineering wasn't taught in math courses.
>>
>>7958277
i have a BS in math and became an actuary. pretty legit job
>>
>>7958698
I don't think you understand what the phrase 'double major' means
>>
http://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/2014/university-of-california/terence-chi-shen-tao/

390k any topic you want
>>
>>7958698
>CS is a subset of math
Which makes it perfect to double major in.
You obviously can't do fucking 2 entirely different degrees within a decent amount of time.
>>
>>7958756
My mathematics program has Programming I and II but it is more about computational science as it focuses a lot on matlab.

However, reading a java book will not take you more than 2 days. Becoming a master of it will not take you more than a month.

>>7958966
I understand that double majors have no life and get no sex. I don't want that.
>>
>>7958972
Prof-ayy

Seriously though 560k is a small price tag for one of the smartest men on the planet, I wonder how much he could earn on wall street or industry
>>
>>7958979
>Which makes it perfect to double major in.

But then that beats the purpose of double majoring, which is to expand your hireability.

The only jobs that CS undergrads get are in software and you can get that too with math.

If you double major in EE or CE then you will actually expand your range to embedded systems, electronics, etc.
>>
>>7958981
>I understand that double majors have no life and get no sex. I don't want that.
Maybe if you're a 130 iq brainlet
>>
>>7958988
>purpose of double majoring is to expand hireability

This culture of higher education for jobs is cancerous. I study what I want because I want to study it. If I get employed in that field, that's a bonus. If I get to start up my own job in that field, it's another bonus.
>>
Doing an internship right now working in the field of machine learning / text/data mining. Almost all my colleagues have a maths / physics background and do market research / multivariate analysis stuff.
>>
>>7958990
Being smart has nothing to do with this. You still have coursework and classes to attend.

However, if you believe in the IQ meme then I suppose you are already living a sexless life so maybe nothing will change for you.

>>7959007
Yeah! Fuck being responsible! I'll do what I want then I'll have the government bail me out! Lets all study race studies and postmodern colonial trans muslim folk dance culture history!

It is what I feel in my heart XD
>>
I have thought about actuary. What kind of maths do you use mostly? How much do you make?
>>
>>7959018
>Doing an internship right now working in the field of machine learning / text/data mining.
What does this involve? Like how do you spend your day?
>>
>>7958981
>get no sex

Cmon anon, if you're here we know you're already not getting any.
>>
>>7959040
>>>>/google/
>>
>>7959007

You're not serious, are you?
>>
>>7959067
I'd say that I'm getting too much. I dumped my last girlfriend specifically because her coming over every weekend was not allowing me study math.

I'm not even joking. I never told her that was the reason though, I waited for her to get stupidly sentimental about something retarded and then I rolled with that, saying that I couldn't handle her like that and we better just break up.
>>
File: nzfuzSq.jpg (59 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
nzfuzSq.jpg
59 KB, 600x450
>>7959084
>>
>>7959065
Phew, different things. I was given clusters / categories and have to label semi-/unstructured data (text fields) accordingly.

As I am totally new to the field, I spent the last month reading theory, using a data mining tool which offers the algorithms and methods I read in theory which I try to apply.

A common cycle so far has been sampling data, building sets for supervised learning, train and test the model(s) after feeding it labelled and preprocessed data. Then iteratively optimise the input sets to get better results while trying to avoid overfitting and other probelms like missing data (which is especially problematic for text mining, but some pattern matching with regular expressions helps, other cases tlyou have to do manually or apply some mean values but with descriptive text it's difficult again)

So far I
- got acquainted with the domain(s), understanding the business of it, the data I have (about 4.5 million instances of which for all clusters about 10k can be identified by some text pattern matching, but lots of those intersect with unwanted categories (false positives basically) and criteria for the data and my task
- built me a simple GUI tool to tag instances of subsets of candidates I got extracted
- visualize the data to get new approaches or starting points to optimize the input
- do some ETL and SQL to load / store / manipulate the data I have in a database I had to set up
- build / adjust data, like some category / business branch rollup, transforming some data bits into nominal data (which the model / method I use works best with)
- load data, train model, test and validate
- rinse and repeat ad nausea
>>
>>7959113
Sounds kinda cool, where did you read up on the theory?
>>
>>7959140
Papers and books mainly, some wikipedia and youtube to get an overview and get started.

It's fun; luckily I don't have to implement the algorithms or build some data structures like sparse matrices or build anything to visualize.

It just feels a bit dumb looking back and not being too productive; but the coffees free and good and my supervisers are too busy themselves but apparently are happy with me and the iniatiative I took to give them more or less regular updates without them asking.
>>
>>7959023
I'm not in debt from college.
>>
>>7959229
Neither do I. The only people with debt are americans anyways.

You still have to support yourself.
>>
>>7958277
Mcdonalds at 300k starting
>>
>>7959294
Is this true?
>>
>>7958277
If you have any business sense then you can do actuarial work or financial analysis. An economics minor helps.
>>
I asked about this before but it's probably a more serious idea now, should I go math of CS in my double major? I'm currently in mechanical engineering and I'm not completely shitting myself academically, but I fucked up getting a co-op for the third time at a school with literally #1 in the nation career services and 80%+ rate of internships or co-ops. Most recent feedback was about not "being a fit," so I suspect my problem is competing with guys who fix cars for fun.

Math offers a CS emphasis and should take like 5-8 fewer credit hours, if that matters. I will have enough scholarships/financial aid to pull it off.
>>
>>7958979
Yes you can, it's called a dual degree, and in /aus/ it's a thing. Two standalone Bachelor degrees (normally three years) completed in a 4.5 year timeline (except for Med or Law, which take longer).
>>
>>7959474
If you are not a good engineer what in the fuck makes you think you will be a good mathematician?

Engineers get the average job everywhere. The kinds of jobs you'd want as a mathematician in data science, quantitative analysis, encryption and hacking (NSA), etc. are way more competitive.

If you study math you will end up as a high school teacher because you sound very average.

>a school with literally #1 in the nation career services and 80%+ rate of internships or co-ops

Congrats on being in the 20% club.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.