[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here /GradStat/ or /CStat/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (75 KB, 776x461) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
75 KB, 776x461
>All my Maths buddies want to be Actuaries.
>All my Finance buddies go for CFA.

Is Chartered Statistician a meme?
>>
>>7958173
>an MBA gets you more pay than a PhD, for roughly 1/99999999999 the work involved in getting a PhD

What is this gay world we live in?

Anyways, math major here. Statistician seems like a comfy job to me but so are all the other math jobs except for banking stuff. I'd rather be a programmer, data scientist or actuary. Also, actuary is the highest paid STEM job that there is. It is a no brainer to go there.
>>
>>7958179
What about Quantitative Analyst positions (banking)?

Generally, I feel like Accountants are more under-supplied at the moment than Actuaries.

Also, what about a Maths Teacher + Entrepreneurship combo? You get a salary for working 75% of the year, plus it's Maths so you don't need to prepare lessons, just wing them.
>>
>>7958196
>What about Quantitative Analyst positions (banking)?

I've heard that makes a lot of money but the hours are deadly. I wouldn't sacrifice my well being when every other job I can get as a math major will pay me more than enough to sustain myself.

>Maths Teacher + Entrepreneurship combo?

The last thing I'd do is become a teacher, even considering the benefits. All of my time studying maths I've been bombarded by people who say 'Oh, so you want to be a teacher?' and I say fuck them.

I don't want them to be right, and I'll do anything to make sure that they are not. As of now, I work part time as a programmer.

And it is not only my ego, I don't want to teach retarded kids, and much less do I want to teach retarded adults.

About starting my own business, that would be pretty neat. I did a couple of retarded phone apps when I was in high school and this month they earned me 20 cents. I will definitely try to build upon that, specially after I graduate and have a lot of free time.
>>
>>7958179
>a business degree puts you in a position to go into business
>a PhD puts you in a position to do scientific research
>hurrr why do MBAs get payed more?
>>
>>7958179
>>7958204
You get an MBA once you're already high up the ladder, hence the numbers are skewed.

Your Starbuck Barista's part time MBA at a no-name University is worthless.
>>
>>7958204
But look at the graph.

You see the CFA, ACCA, etc. qualifications? Those are all qualifications in finance and accounting.

That means that this graph is only for the profession of finance analyst or something like that.

This implies that getting a PhD in economy/quantitative analysis/financial analysis/whatever is less powerful than getting an MBA.

In this profession, getting a 2 year masters is better than getting a 4 year doctorate.

How is that not totally fucking gay?
>>
>>7958216
You still don't understand. A PhD is not a "look I'm so qualified throw money at me" degree.
>>
>>7958221
It should be, specially in non-scientific occupations. If you get a PhD in finance, it is not to do research, it is to get paid more at your shitty 9 to 5 job.
>>
>>7958224
Have you read the description of a finance PhD program? They're all like this:

"The Finance Doctoral Program trains students to be future faculty members at leading research universities. The program provides students with a rigorous background in finance, both theoretical and empirical, economics, mathematics and statistics. These tools, plus opportunities for supervised independent research, enable students to make their own contributions to the understanding of financial markets and institutions.

Current theoretical and empirical research in the Department of Finance broadly spans the areas of asset pricing and corporate finance. Active current research topics include macro-finance, financial crises, international finance, market microstructure, regulation, and financial econometrics. Moreover, PhD candidates have the opportunity to interact with the broader research community at the Kellogg School and the adjacent Economics Department of Northwestern University."
>>
File: Capture22.png (85 KB, 746x555) Image search: [Google]
Capture22.png
85 KB, 746x555
>>7958224
He's right (this guy >>7958240)

>mfw derailed my own thread.
>>
A researcher at a university ( the PhDs ) will get paid well, but not as much as an entrepreneur or someone who climbed the soul sucking corporate ladder with their MBA and social skills. This is not difficult.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.