[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the Australian government suddenly decided to massive channels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: GA1073.jpg (202 KB, 1103x761) Image search: [Google]
GA1073.jpg
202 KB, 1103x761
If the Australian government suddenly decided to massive channels inland to the center of Australia that connected with existing or manmade lakes.

Then connected theses channels to the ocean.

What effect would it have on Australia climate?
>>
>>7958150
Hey buddy do you see any blue areas there? Australia is all above sea level.
>>
>>7958159
Not OP, but channels are when you dig dirt out, get it? That means you can bring seawater in. Check out the Suez and Panama canals.

OP:
It would make the interior green by allowing evaporation and rainfall I imagine. I also imagine it would fuck up aquifers by salting them.

I'm all for it though. Fuck it. Give it a go. Can't make the area shittier.
>>
>>7958169
Said Canals connect two fairly close segments of water, inland australia is like 600+km away from a coast. Also it won't fill into any non-dug areas because, as mentioned, all of the inland regions are above sea level.
>>
>>7958169
Yeah. I'm not entirely sure what it would do to the aquifers
>>
>Australian soil already suffers from high salinity
>introduce sea water

hurrr
>>
>>7958430
Just purify the sea :^)
>>
It would drain all of the water out of said lakes, as the interior of the country is a fair distance above sea level.
>>
>>7958150
>>7958169
>>7958437
>desecrating stolen Aboriginal land
>>
>>7958487

Aboriginals had no concept of land ownership

Hence, it could not be stolen from them
>>
>>7958507
Well. They did have area's that tribes stuck to.

There's a map somewhere of all the different tribes, it gets bigger in the dry parts and smaller in the forest.
>>
>>7958150
The plan to flood the sahara was a better idea.

Still awful though.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre
>>
For the amount of energy expended digging canals full of saltwater through the desert you could probably run nuclear-bomb powered terrawatt immersion heaters on the coast to boil the ocean off and force it to rain water inland.
>>
>>7959651
I wouldn't say that.

Considering the amount of mining effort goes into creating theses massive mines.

That effort could be directed into creating massive rivers.
>>
File: mad-max-fury-road-storm-gif.gif (3 MB, 600x249) Image search: [Google]
mad-max-fury-road-storm-gif.gif
3 MB, 600x249
This would fix your weather problem, I'm not entirely sure about the roaming bandits.
>>
>>7958150
Would what doing what op said have any effects on global sea levels?
>>
>>7959722
unless these channels were thousands of miles deep and all the removed dirt was piled somewhere on land, nothing
>>
>pumping salty water uphill for reasons
>>
File: operation_plowshare.jpg (1 MB, 1321x1788) Image search: [Google]
operation_plowshare.jpg
1 MB, 1321x1788
>>7959651
Wouldn't it be better to dig a canal with the nuclear bombs instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare

Certainly it makes more sense to dig a canal once, rather than carry out continuous nuclear explosions for years on end.
>>
>>7959770
I think I read that it was considered infeasible because the blast would either send fall-out everywhere if they were intended to create craters. You could detonate them underground would just shatter the rock into radioactive debris you'd need to shovel out. I suppose if you did it right and shattered enough earth that the tides could sweep it out to sea for you after a few thousand years or something?

>>7959706
Probably be more efficient to build a big dumb tidal power plant, use it to power a desalination system and pipe the water uphill into the desert. To grow melons or whatever OP is thinking they need water in the outback for.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.