[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watch out for the evil Monsanto
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
How to you respond to cucks that think we require a label on all genetically modified food? I pointed out to one of these cucks a vast majority of these foods are modified through artificial selection or simply interspecies breeding. They referred me to some autistic article claiming wheat has many health detriments due to the it genetically modified. I informed this individual that wheat has only been modified through interspecies breeding and there's nothing to be scared of. Even if there was a chance that "hardcore" GMOs may lead to health problems what's the issue? It's not like natural shit isn't going to do the same thing to you. It's not like cyanide and ricin don't exist.
>>
Why are you so afraid to label your GMO cancer properly ? Ofcourse you're gonna do it you dumb bitch.

This isn't your shilling board, and there is no board called /monsanto/. But enjoy the rest of your visit in >>>/trash/
>>
>>7953442
Are you retarded? Do you know how much food will be labeled with "GMO" if these laws are to be federally passed? Every fucking Apple that's larger than an inch wide for one. I don't know if you're joking but you seem pretty autistic.
>>
>>7953461
> GMO is labelled depending on the sizes of the fruits
> I don't know if you're joking but you seem pretty autistic.

Shit trolling attempt kid 0/10

Monsanto shilling is not science and belongs to >>>/trash/
>>
>>7953471
Unless you're completely inept you realize apples don't naturally grow in the wild anything near the size of what you can purchase in a grocery store. You clearly understood my point and your troll is shit.
>>
>>7953481
How is blatantly lying going to help your case ? And what kind of complete bullshit excuse do you have for removing the information people need when purchasing their food ?

You are seriously retarded and you're doing nothing but shitting up this board right now.

Fuck off where you can shitpost and shill about monsanto all you want
>>>/trash/
>>>/trash/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7953486
> Lying
Where?
>>
>>7953435
There is nothing wrong with wanting labels. Labels do not harm anyone. But they let people who care know what they are buying. If their view and decision is justified or not is another issue.
People could potentially decide to only buy GMO food and labels would help them.

If you want to prevent labels, you basically want to hide information that may be important for customers.
Why? Because you fear that people do not want GMO food and want to sneak it in anyways, despite their (just or not) concerns.
>>
>>7953535

If you belive this then you are retarded

Why do you think they are fighting labels so hard? They know that the American public are fucking stupid and will see the label as a warning
>>
>>7953548
> uhh yeah lets hide an important information from the people who simply want to know what they are buying.
You couldn't look any more suspicious and shady. It's people right to have information about the product they are buying and feeding their children with, and you're trying to attack this very right.

You already look like a dumb fucking idiot, why don't you just give up and fuck off already
>>>/trash/

Report and hide this shit thread.
>>
>>7953574
>IT'S MUHHH RIGHT TO LEARN WHAT I AM FEEDING MUHH CHAALDRAN
>IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANY OF MY VIEWS YOU ARE BEING BRIBED BY MONSANTO
>I BUY 100% ORGANIC
Out, retard.
>>
File: ban[1].jpg (82 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
ban[1].jpg
82 KB, 610x343
>>7953580
Is shitposting and typing like a total retard your typical method for defending to hide information from people ?

Please stop shitting up this board already. You don't belong here.

MOOOOODDDSS
>>
File: 1449858008623.gif (721 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
1449858008623.gif
721 KB, 446x251
This entire thread
>>
>>7953585
>hide information
>>7953574
>people right to have information
>>7953535
>basically want to hide information
>>7953486
>removing the information people need

It's like a broken record ffs
Labeling the breeding method does not give consumers any additional information. Transgenesis is a method, not a crop. A "contains GMOs" label tells you nothing about which crop variants or their byproducts are actually in the final product. Is it corn that produces bt cry proteins or is it corn that produces a structurally altered 5-enolpyruvoyl-shikimate-3-phosphate synthetase to prevent glyphosate from inhibiting the shikimate pathway for aromatic amino acid synthesis? Can you tell from an "is GMO" label? Notice the ONLY thing the two do not have in common is the antis' basis for treating them as one and the same. Not to mention corn sprayed with bt cry proteins (an approved organic pesticide) and corn that produces them are essentially identical. In this case labeling one and not the other is highly misleading to consumers, as is labeling crop breeding method as if it were a product.

It is quite clearly a scarlet letter they're trying to pin on the technology itself to enable boycotts and further targeting by activists.

>>7953535
>There is nothing wrong with wanting labels. Labels do not harm anyone.
First it's compelled speech which the first amendment safeguards against unless there is a compelling public interest (this is why food must carry accurate dietary and allergen information and list its ingredients, but secret recipes and the like can be concealed.) Overcoming this hurdle relies on demonstrating the -material- necessity of labels rather than foot stomping and screaming "why not?!" Since scientifically speaking foods produced with genetic engineering are substantially similar to those through artificial selection, it's much the same as mandatory labels saying "this food was handled by blacks." Want to talk "(just or not) concerns"? There you go.
>>
File: Monsanto_Shill.png (47 KB, 832x1199) Image search: [Google]
Monsanto_Shill.png
47 KB, 832x1199
>>7953435
I want to know what I'm eating, no matter what it may be. That's why labels should exist, for no other reason.

Then again, I became a farmer and bypassed all this horseshit. I suggest as many people do this as possible.
>>
>>7953435
>monsanto
>brought us PCBs
Thank you Daddy GMO for printed circuit boards! Useful tech desu.
>>
>>7954534 cont.
It's also important to keep in mind that for a company to not label a food item as GMO they would need to absolutely guarantee all ingredients are non-GMO. That is, non-GMO crops must be segregated at every stage of production from GMOs and crops which may or may not be GMOs. This segregation has an infrastructural burden and leads to higher costs for producers and thus higher costs to consumers. It's very much like production of gluten free foods.

You already have the option of buying exclusively certified non-GMO or organic foods and assuming everything that doesn't opt to give itself that very profitable label involves GMO ingredients. Just like you would assume a box of brownie mix not labeled "gluten free" does have gluten.

**You are ALREADY being catered to by the market and mandatory labeling just removes choice from those who don't care enough to shell out.**

Of course, that's the goal after all. Your type isn't at all subtle about calling for outright bans on all GMO crops and demonizing everyone who dares to disagree with you.
>>
>>7954546
You understand that pic is satire, right?
The shill gambit is hilariously bad. Nobody worth listening to uses it unironically.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 360x203
>>7954575
4chan is a confusing place
>>
>>7954575
Which image?
>>
File: avatar[7].jpg (4 KB, 89x96) Image search: [Google]
4 KB, 89x96
>actually eating a GMO
You realize the one and only reason for genetically modifying foods is to make more money right? These people do not care whatsoever about your health and will gladly make every sacrifice to make a more profitable product, as long as the FDA continues to pass it and they are demonstrably useless and bought out.

Sad that the Earth is being overtaken by gullible liberals that would actually believe GMOs are being made to improve people's lives just because someone somewhere told them so.
>>
>>7953548
you seem to get your impression of people from late night comedy shows. Foods already have labels, this would just add another form of information
>>
>>7954704
>You realize the one and only reason for genetically modifying foods is to make more money

>hurr they're only trying to maximize profits via expensive methods guys, they wanna kill us all, wear those tinfoil hats! thank me----thank the lord jesus christ our saviour who will keep us safe through this antichrist epidemic
>>
File: guatemalanfarmerwithgmcorn.jpg (78 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
guatemalanfarmerwithgmcorn.jpg
78 KB, 540x405
>>7953435
meme argument: compare it with homeopathy labeling, why should labels have to cater to quack medicine?

common sense argument: business should be able to choose for themselves, if a business wants to market organic non GM food they can do it on their own

scientific argument: There are many naturally evolved genes that result in the production of "toxins" and potentially carcinogenic substances and we already rigorously test for them, we only need to apply the same standards to GM, GM shouldn't be treated as an exception. There is nothing inherently different about GM that means that all GM plants and animals will always produce harmful substances, it depends on the specific genes themselves, whether it is naturally evolved or modified.
>>
>>7953442
Biotech student here :^)
Labeling food's as GMO is equivalent to labeling foods as "Handled by Catholic farmers". While there is nothing fundamentally wrong with Catholics touching your food, labeling it insinuates that their is. This sways the public opinion causing an artificial bias which promotes fear mongering and the spread of misinformation.
>>
>>7954765
>inb4 there
>>
>>7954765
>their
HAHHAA DUMB SHILLSANTO XD
>>
>>7954776
>English majors playing scientist
>>
>>7954765
if it looks better and tastes good then people will buy it.

I bet you people thought putting cancer pictures on cigarette boxes would reduce sales hahahaha. People don't work like that, man
>>
>>7954791
Vegetables aren't physically addictive narcotics.
I'd like to remind you that the entire anti-vaccine movement was born from one false case study, never doubt the people's tolerance for unfounded gossip.
>>
>>7954802
food might as well be considered addictive, especially if we're talking about America

Monsanto/whoever isn't stupid enough to ruin their business model by poisoning people. Once the public sees that the food is harmless they'll buy it without a fuss
>>
>>7954789
at least i make more money
poetry is useful
math and science isnt
>>
>>7954806
Nor are Catholic farmers, so why not label food handled by them?
>>
>>7954813
This is what happens when trolls stay up past their bed times.
>>
>>7954817
A "Catholic" label adds some kind of unknown element to the food, in the same way that I get skeptical when I see Halal on a package. I know that it's _technically_ okay but I don't trust the source. People kind of freak out about stuff like that.

On the other hand, most people are not conspiracists and trust corporations for the most part.
>>
>>7954534
>>7954569
Holy BTFO batman. OP time to go to bed.
>>
When Monsanto GPLs their crops, then I will trust it. Also, stop equating GMOs to cross-breeding as cross-breeding isn't the only method used to create new organisms.
>>
>>7953481
Fucking troll. My family is farming in europe for a century and only ever used their own seeds, without breeding. And our apples may not be a red as the ones in the grocery store, but they are certainly as big
>>
>>7954546
They already have labels. When I pick my apples I get the ones that say "Braeburn" above them. I wonder what it means....
>>
>>7955215
Artificial selection still creates genetically modified foods. Your family that's been farming in Europe doesn't grow natural apples, sorry.
>>
>>7954534
> I don't think its important and i don't care about buyers demands even though its such a simple shit as adding labelling

Thanks for letting us know that you have zero concerns for informing buyers for what they want, yet still wanting them to buy your mutated garbage. Typical GMOtard everybody

now please fuck off and lets be through with this unscientific dogshit of a thread.
>>
>>7955666
> selecting ripe foods from a bunch is the same as intentionally fucking with their genetics

still desperately trying to lie your way out aren't you ?

sage
hide
>>
>>7954813
>English majors
>make lots of money

pick one
>>
>>7953461
>Do you know how much food will be labeled with "GMO" if these laws are to be federally passed?
Why do you care? DO you care?
>>
>>7955664
>I wonder what it means....

Nothing right now since there's no GM apples on the market yet.

>The bad news is that, while our first commercial Arctic® apple orchards have been planted, it takes new trees a few years to produce much fruit, so they won’t be readily available for a couple more years. They’ll be worth the wait, though, we promise.

The problem comes when there's a dozen GM apple varieties, from a few companies, with heirloom-sounding names and the boxes of apples in the store just have magic marker labels. Right now there's only Arctic apples (Arctic Granny and Arctic Golden).

>Arctic® apples aren’t slow browning. They aren’t low browning. They’re nonbrowning! By silencing the enzyme that causes apples to brown when bitten, sliced or bruised popular apple varieties like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith can be enhanced with the Arctic Advantage™.
>Our goal? To help consumers eat more apples by making them more convenient, and reducing food waste while we’re at it!
>>
>>7955666
>Artificial selection still creates genetically modified foods.

>Genetically modified foods or GM foods, also genetically engineered foods, are foods produced from organisms that have had changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering. Genetic engineering techniques allow for the introduction of new traits as well as greater control over traits than previous methods such as selective breeding and mutation breeding.[1]

>Genetic engineering, also called genetic modification, is the direct manipulation of an organism's genome using biotechnology. It is a set of technologies used to change the genetic makeup of cells, including the transfer of genes within and across species boundaries to produce improved or novel organisms. New DNA may be inserted in the host genome by first isolating and copying the genetic material of interest using molecular cloning methods to generate a DNA sequence, or by synthesizing the DNA, and then inserting this construct into the host organism. Genes may be removed, or "knocked out", using a nuclease. Gene targeting is a different technique that uses homologous recombination to change an endogenous gene, and can be used to delete a gene, remove exons, add a gene, or introduce point mutations.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Natural/Artificial Selection or even Crossbreeding.

>>7954575
>You understand that pic is satire, right?

This pic >>7954546 ? It isn't satire.
>>
>>7955850
Artificial selection can be done through means of biotechnology. You're still wrong.
>>
>>7955850
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
>>
>>7957318
>Poe's Law aka "I was only trolling"

Also, the image in >>7954546 isn't satire in the slightest. I should know. I'm the one that made the image.
>>
>>7956011
>playing the idiot
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.