[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how unethical would it be to genetically engineer novelty life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: 1418037846972.jpg (229 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1418037846972.jpg
229 KB, 707x1000
how unethical would it be to genetically engineer novelty life forms? e.g. making miniature versions of wild animals or extremely selective breeding to make comletely new species. I want to know how plausible it is to start a business like jurassic park.
>>
>>7953186

Strictly speaking, ethics have no place in scientific discourse and inquiry. Science is not should, but could.

Unfortunately for could, should imposes itself upon us by our nature.
>>
File: 1447237147651s.jpg (3 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1447237147651s.jpg
3 KB, 124x125
>Unfortunately for could, should imposes itself upon us by our nature.

only for the poor and weak
>>
File: IMG_20160225_192138.jpg (1 MB, 2304x2533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160225_192138.jpg
1 MB, 2304x2533
Probably pretty unethical for the probably two or so specimens it would take to make one that could sustain itself or survive at all

Other than that, fuck it, reverse engineer that fucking chicken, I want a dinosaur

by the way - art by me
>>
>>7953194
there would be a ton of controlled termination. that's a given when doing any kind of breeding. Honestly the worst thing I can think of is ending up with a bunch of tumors with teeth and eyes but honestly that's not even that bad. I wouldn't be intentionally mean to any subject but I can't waste resources on dead ends.

what dinosaur do you think the chicken could be devolved into? what species was most closely related to the chicken?

also nice art.
>>
>>7953186
Ethics is just humans deciding if something should or shouldn't be done based on their own particular situation. We think its fine to eat animals because their flesh helps us survives, yet we frown upon harming animals without a purpose.

If you genetically engineered a species that reproduces very fast with very little ressources or energy loss, you'd basically create a whole new diet based on that species, and your gesture would be considered ethical I'm sure.
>>
>>7953191
Science is a cultural endeavor and as such (like any other) of course subject to ethical concerns.

Whether scientists themselves (or edgy science fans on an anime image board) are the most qualified to discuss these issues is another question, of course.

Disregarding all that, my personal take is, that if it is of roughly human like intelligence it should be subject to some of the same basic privileges and protections as we are, regardless of origin.
>>
>>7953186
>how unethical would it be to genetically engineer novelty life forms? e.g. making miniature versions of wild animals or extremely selective breeding to make comletely new species.
Depends on the the species, what you're trying to do with it, and what risks are present.

If you want to make glow-in-the-dark cockroaches, no-one is going to stop you.
If you want to study rapidly-reproducing malaria strains in the middle of the tropics, people will get nervous.
If you want to raise chimpanzees with horribly broken metabolisms that suffer short lives then die of leukaemia, people are going to get very upset.
>>
File: Figure-03-Node.jpg (163 KB, 800x664) Image search: [Google]
Figure-03-Node.jpg
163 KB, 800x664
>>7953200
It's hard to find a specific dinosaur that was most closely related to birds or the other way around because we know so relatively little about dino genetics. Technically it'd be possible to reverse engineer any aptly-sized bird to become something that resembles a small theropod (bipedal carnivourous dino) but they're working on chickens right now because they share many traits with old dinosaurs already (3 forward-pointing claws, long tails, long arms with pseudo fingers)

Pic related, some progress
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.