[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what do you need this for in real life? :3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2
File: math.jpg (56 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
56 KB, 512x512
So what do you need this for in real life? :3
>>
not telling :p
>>
>>7952685
okay xD
>>
>>7952682
Mother's and other retarded college students stuck in the algebra sequence pay me to do their online math classes/homework.

That's what I use it for. Kids pay me literally 10-20 bucks per ASSIGNMENT that takes me literally 30min.
Afterwards I get praised on how smart I am for knowing basic math. LOL
>>
>>7952692
ROFL
>>
>>7952694
Yeah it is quite funny. I really wish degree requirements weren't so lax. I believe every major should have to take up to Calculus 2.

That would definitely weed out a lot of retards and graduate less people per year.
>>
>>7952682
>babby's first algebraic geometry
>>
>>7952682
Depends heavily on what type of job you do. In certain careers you need to know this type of math and beyond in others you don't. The point of your primary school education is to be well-rounded and give you exposure to all sorts of subjects, you may not use math in your career anymore than I will use literary analysis as an engineer but regardless I still had to learn it.

That said some math is useful in everyday life and it's not just arithmetic. I can tell you I have used trig as well as some simple algebra on a handful of occasions to do some calculations when working on personal projects and other stuff.
>>
You probably won't, but I think it's good to know it. It gives good job opportunities. Why don't people want to learn? What's so fucking bad about it? It's like they see knowledge and scream "AAAA NO KNOWLEDGE NOO RUN". They literally try to be as ignorant as possible.
>>
>>7952697
>Calculus 2
At least Calc III 2bh, it's essentially just Calc II but with hyperbolic trig, double integrals, triple integrals, and partial derivatives.
>>
>>7952711
Nah bruv they should at LEAST have to do diff eq
>>
>>7952713
All stems and applied sciences should have to go through linear and diff eq or calc I-II and two semesters of calc based stat. Everyone else should have to take at least college level math. It's kind of embarrassing that you can get a degree having taken algebra and trig. Even if it's a drawing and painting degree, nothing precalc and below should count for college credit.
>>
>>7952692
where do you do this, i wanna make some easy money
>>
>>7952682
If you can't grasp stuff that's taught in elementary and middle school in your adult life then people will look down on you.
>>
>>7953098
>>7952682
I believe myself mathematically retarded because I only started to learn high school math about 3 months ago on my own and even I know these equations and their meanings. That just goes to show you how truly stupid the average person really is if someone who has no education in math can just read a few books and get a grasp on it.
>>
>>7953066
I disagree. This kind of logic is the reason STEM majors have to deal with a lot of BS arts and humanities classes that I don't give a shit about.

If you can get up through trig/pre-calc in HS and you will not be doing any major that requires math then you shouldn't be required to take more. Likewise I shouldn't have to wade through three English courses, a foreign language, communications, a fine arts course, and any kind of gender/black/whatever studies course, etc when I want to do something in science or engineering.

I think if you know up through trig you're well rounded enough for everyday life (you should also have to take statistics, a lot of places don't require that but should). There's really not any situation where you NEED to know calculus or above for day to day shit, it's really only used in specific fields of work regularly.

Who gives a fuck if it's "embarrassing" if people don't know high level math? If they don't need to know and aren't interested in learning then it's a waste of their time and money to try to teach it to them and it's a waste of a professor's time to attempt to teach disinterested students when it could be better spent educating the students that do care.

There will always be the curious students that gravitate to math regardless of what the public perception of math is. For the rest do not force more math than necessary on them, it will make our educational institutions more efficient and perhaps people will even have slightly more respect for math.
>>
>>7953080
seconded
>>
>>7952692
Dang, I used to tutor but it's a pain in the ass because you actually have to explain shit to these tards. Where can I get in on this action?
>>
>>7953106
>shouldn't have to wade through three English courses, a foreign language, communications
These are quite important and necessary.
>>
>>7952713
>not even touching real or complex analysis
Rudin should be the bare minimum.
>>
>>7952692
Bump for interest. How do you find tards who will pay you to do their homework?
>>
>>7953125
If you're spending every day in a lab doing technical writing and performing experiments, how are your professional duties explicitly improved by knowing the essentials of American realism, speaking fluent Spanish, or having a comprehensive understanding of mass media?

If we can use the excuse of being "well rounded" to require these kinds of courses in stem curriculums, then history majors can suffer through calc 3
>>
>>7953223
You're retarded.
>>
>>7953223
Your life is more than your job anon. People really should know basic history and English.
>>
>>7953106
>Likewise I shouldn't have to wade through three English courses, a foreign language, communications, a fine arts course, and any kind of gender/black/whatever studies course, etc when I want to do something in science or engineering.
I think technical school is more your speed.
>>
>>7953223

that is what grad school is for.
>>
>Be American
>Don't understand basic math
>Fuck up your taxes
>Get audited by the IRS
>Life ruined
>Rape+suicide in prison
>>
>>7953916
Happened to a guy I know.
>>
>>7952682
that first equation is too complex for every day use
>>
>>7954100
XD
>>
The people who ask this are the ones who work road maintenance for a living then wonder why they didnt stay in school when they were younger.
>>
>>7952682
Crossing your arms to protect yourself from being hit by something.
>>
File: 2piWwJe.jpg (69 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
2piWwJe.jpg
69 KB, 625x626
>>7952682
What do you need for in real life the knowledge of what year the roman empire fell? What do you need for in real life the knowledge of what is the narrative of catcher in the rye? What do you need for in real life the knowledge of how to do a redox reaction equation? What do you need for in real life the knowledge of a tree's water pathway system?

1/10 OP, 1/10.
>>
>>7953125
>>7953890
>>7953914

You faggots can learn all thst shit in your own time. Buy some books and get reading. High school should instill you with a decent enough knowledge of those subjects. Having to waste your time with that shit while you are studying something else at university is retarded.

Thank fuck I don't live in ameritubby land.

P.s. buy a book and learn history on your own if you like it so much.

Or take history as your main subject.
>>
>>7952682

But really, what could you use these simple equations for in the 21st century?
>>
>>7955564
Modelling objects and dimensional optimisation
>>
I may sound redundant, but it really boils down to acquiring the experience and discipline necessary to solve ill and well defined problems.
Sure, you will never find yourself in a situation where you have to calculate the price of 6 gorillion apples, but in the workplace some problems, which require a good methodology and intuition, will appear.
If people didn't study mathematics, they wouldn't be able to try for ways to bend rules in their favor.
>>
>>7952682
I might be really retarded right now, but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be at all.

Are those two functions and you need to find the point where they intersect or something?
>>
>>7955609
Strictly speaking you don't *need* to, but it helps if you can.
>>
>>7955609
Simultaneous equations
>>
>>7952682
x = 2 and -2
y = 5
>>
>>7955609
simult quad equations
>>
>>7955609
ax^2 + bx + c, where b = 0.
>>
>>7955609
Y=f(x)
>>
>>7955632
Symmetric. Symmetry is the key. Simultaneity is built only on symmetry.
>>
>>7955633
[eqn]x=2 \land x=-2 \Leftrightarrow \mathrm{false}[/eqn]
>>
>>7952682
You probably won't have to at this point
>>
>>7953106
>>7953125
>>7953890
>>7953905
>>7953911
>>7953914
>>7955561

>Study STEM under non-Americuck education system
>Prerequisite units of study include differential/integral calculus and statistics
>No humanities subjects required at any point
>No "safe spaces"

How do the highly prestigious Ivy League Universities in America even exist when the majority of the educational institutions there are so shit? Are they actually that good or just overrated?
>>
>>7955908
>Are they actually that good or just overrated?
Probably overrated as American tertiary education is geared towards making money first and educating people second.
Which means that they absolutely need a ranking system with them near the top to justify their pricetags.

They may well be great universities where you can learn lots of amazing things, but I seriously doubt that they're exceptional in any significant way.
>>
>>7955908
Do you not like learning? What's wrong with a broad education?
>>
>>7955938
>Which means that they absolutely need a ranking system with them near the top to justify their pricetags.
they really don't
Yale makes $2b a year off investments, they are profitable based off the money they already have, and they don't get enough students to really add anything to that. Most elite schools are in a similar situation.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/one-new-fix-for-connecticuts-budget-crunch-yale-university-1458853613
>>
>>7955995
>they don't get enough students to really add anything to that

if that's true why do they even charge students?
>>
>>7955990
I mean, for what it's worth I do tend to read up on history and literature a lot in my spare time out of interest.
But because I'm studying science, throwing in arts/humanities where it has little relevance is a waste of time, especially when it has both no bearing on science whatsoever.
Having to write English essays or whatever would impact on studying the subject I'm actually fucking paying for.
>>
>>7952692
holy shit please tell me how to find people for this
>>
>>7953905
>People really should know basic history and English.
Yeah that's why there's something called secondary school.
>>
>>7956131
just post on facebook, your local helicopter parents society will ring you up. all those mothers are dumbasses who will ruin their child but who cares, get that money
>>
>>7956138
I'm making a facebook account now
>>
>>7952682

I don't think you will ever need it OP.
>>
>>7952711
I did all that in calc II though
>>
>>7956205
link us to your 2nd semester final or it didn't happen
>>
>>7952682
Physical sciences use these maths for modeling plots/relationships. I just used it today in an isothermal binding plot for protein-binding drug.
>>
>>7952699
Babbys first algebraic geometry is when your first learn about algebraic varieties and the zariski topology.
>>
Astronomy for calculating distance, any virtual 3D engine
>>
>>7956221
Not that guy but we covered hyperbolic in calc 2. Test was C3 tho.
>>
>>7956364
*rest because I'm a filthy phone poster
>>
>>7956364
Hyperbolic trig functions is one thing. But did you cover multiple integrals? Or even got past the tip of the iceberg on multivariable calc? Or even introduced at least the geometric intuition of partial derivatives?
>>
>>7952692
Fucking genius, i'm going to do this right now
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.